Anyone Have a Clue?

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 04:51 pm
I have a five month old kitten at my shelter. She was originally found at a dumpster and had to have her eye removed due to an infection. It was time for her regular worming so I gave her the medicine. Within two days, she bloated up like she was pregnant! I gave her worming medicine at first for roundworms. I noticed in her feces there were the little flat worms cats get from eating live fleas. Well, it's been three days and she is still bloated. She looks like she is going to give birth!

She is going to the vet in the morning. She is eating and drinking water just fine. No listlessness. She seems perfectly fine except her stomach is so bloated. It's not hard to the touch like if she was pregnant.

My vet said to just bring her in tomorrow morning, but I'd feel better if I had any kind of a clue as to what this might be.

Help! Anyone!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,067 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:02 am
Oof, well, obviously getting her to the vet asap is job one. And, you have other cats, yes? I'd isolate her from them, just in case whatever it is is contagious.

Anyway, sounds like a multitude of possible problems. Worms, hmm, they can starve an animal so I wouldn't expect an abdominal mass. Do animals get a bloated stomach when starving, like humans do, I wonder. With a stray animal, it could be an infection, possibly bad food, who knows?

Hope the little thing is treatable.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:09 am
I suppose it could be hyperthyroidism.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:25 am
http://www.furr-angels.com/gastricdv.htm

I have no idea if this is it, but I hope not.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:06 am
Thanx everyone. She goes to the vet in just a few minutes.

She eats and seems to be in no pain. She seems perfectly fine except she looks ready to drop about 6 kittens!

She is playing, everything. I guess I will just have to let the vet figure it out. There is no way she can be pregnant. Even if there were a possibility, I don't see how she would go from being normal sized to almost ready to give birth in a couple of days.

I will let you all know when we get back. Thank you so much for the help!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:11 am
I wish I'd seen this earlier!

My dog recently bloated up like that. It freaked me out. It turned out to be gas.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 01:04 pm
Just got back from the vet. Pita (Pain In The A@@) Very Happy, just a joke, she's an absolute doll, is going to be just fine.

She has coccidia. The vet said it is nothing to really worry about. He has put her on Albon for fourteen days and said she should be fine. She is one heck of a little fighter kitten. She's been through a lot since she was rescued from that dumpster.

Thanx again for all your help everyone. It really helped me not to be too worried before I actually got her to the doctor. Laughing

http://vetmedicine.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=vetmedicine&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marvistavet.com%2Fhtml%2Fcoccidia.html

Here is a picture of her. I realize she is sitting down and that helps her look a bit wider anyway, but believe me, she's just as wide standing up!

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2555/dcp00160do.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 01:08 pm
The link doesn't work for me, but here's one that does: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_coccidia.html Looks like coccidia is a parasite. Good to know the little Dickens is on the mend.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 01:11 pm
Thanx jespah. That's the site I was trying to bring up. Yes, she will be fine. Back to her little (thin) self soon!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 01:11 pm
I'm glad she has you to take care of her, MommaA!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 01:13 pm
boomerang wrote:
I'm glad she has you to take care of her, MommaA!

Thanx bommerang. They ARE my children. I have to admit, they are so spoiled Laughing .
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 01:16 pm
You got a one eyed bandit on your hands. I know the look. Crooked head......strong stance.....a badass.

I think you should name him amigo. Very Happy
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:08 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I suppose it could be hyperthyroidism.
Laughing
0 Replies