husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 03:05 pm
Our Dogs
1. Golden Retriever - rescued at 6 found out she had epilepsy, she died when she was 9 of cancer (people moving - dog on way to pound)

2. Sheltie rescued at 2 years dies at 9 years old of cancer (elderly gal with a bad heart could not deal with energy of dog)

3. Boxer puppy(s) remains to be seen.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 03:06 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Boxers are one of my favourite breeds, and I think rescuing a puppy who might be put down is wonderful.

Irresponsible breeders just make me crazy.

Will he pay to have the puppy spayed or neutered?

it'll be me
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 03:12 pm
husker, you know that both of my current furkids are rescues.

My problem is NOT with the puppy - I'd go for it in a flash. But I'd report the breeder. There are just too many of them out there who care about money, not animals. They are not my kind of people, and I have no qualms about calling them in.

If Setanta had his way, we'd have about 20 rescues here right now. Thank goodness, the city limits how many pets you can have per household. I don't think I can afford to support any more rescues.

~~~~~~

The breeder won't pay for spaying/neutering? Evil or Very Mad That is not a good indicator of why he's breeding - it's clearly not to improve the bloodlines.

I can't believe how mad this makes me. I'm not even a fan of purebreds - but at least a well-managed breeding program doesn't lead to this sort of thing.

arrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 03:15 pm
this explains things pretty well with the dark side of white boxers
maybe I don't wanna be a part of it
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 03:17 pm
Ive been told that a recessive gene that rides together with blindness also is usually tied to a WHITE colored animal with blue eyes. Cats like this are usually deaf too. Its not a "puppy mill" thing cause its a recessive gene that only shows itself in a 1/x rate . If , like every other puppy was this way, then Id stop breeding the male and female.
I think our new Maine Coon is either deaf or incrediblylaid back. I can come up to her and yell at her back and she barely turns her head, then just sits and stares at you .

Dalmations are prone to deafness from years of poor breeding.

Coming from the center of puppy mill planet , here in the Amish country, the animal groups cant get it through the Amish that they are not doing the animals any good. If you ever see a border colluie in a mall pet store , dont even think of buying it. Border collies, because they arent line bred should be from a breeder who keeps careful records of his sires and bitches. Ive seen an AMish guy who had a bunch of Border collie pups and they were bred from father to daughter. WHo knows how long that insestuous crap has gone on. In fact, I think Id stay away freom most mall pet shops
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 03:19 pm
so that's why a seeming nice giuy in the office who owns both the male and female might not be running a puppy farm but might not understand why he just got 2 white puppies (above link explains) guess I'll talk to him next week
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 03:23 pm
Farmerman we're more into waiting for the right dog to knock on our door in a sort speak way.

like the 2 dogs mentioned above
cat same way
horse same way

one or both the puppies might be the same, we'll wait and see what destiny says
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:19 pm
(The other senses becoming more acute thing is a myth, actually -- the animal may learn to make better use of the other senses, but the senses do not become better in any measurable way.)

I know a lot of deaf people who purposely adopt deaf pets -- no problem at all, but they sign, which might help. I'm sure you could learn the signs necessary to communicate with the dog (or make some up).

I dont remember there being that many more health problems with the deaf dogs than any other dogs, but could be something about how they became deaf/ how they were selected.

That's just commenting on the specific question of a deaf dog, I agree with what is being said about the puppy mill.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 04:19 pm
Friends of mine had a deaf cat (male, white, green eyes) that responded to a thump on the floor -- he'd come right to you to be petted.

Husker, that link looks like a good place to find out what life with your boxer pup would be like... I surely wouldn't pass up a dog I wanted just because of possible deafness.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 08:09 am
I had a white cat with blue eyes that was deaf. My dad rescued her when he found her tied up in the trash - the poor thing was riddled with fleas and bloody.

My mom cleaned her up, we got rid of the fleas and she was probably the best pet we ever had. She was so loving and affectionate and would follow us around the neighborhood like a dog would.

The one thing to becareful of is that there can be dangers because of lack of warning against danger. She actually died when she was in the street and could not hear a truck heading toward her - the truck did stop in time, but she looked quickly at the truck and the fear made her little heart stop.
0 Replies

Foxy1983

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 08:38 am
Our white boxer is slightly deaf - apparently very common.
0 Replies