husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 01:58 pm
We're honestly looking at getting a new dog but have found out that there is a 50% that it is deaf.

Advice? Pitfalls? Wisdom?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,149 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:07 pm
Husker,

I have found that animals, like humans, when losing one sense, the others become more acute.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:22 pm
our Krispin is deaf. He's a cocker spaniel, apparently that happens to some of them as they get older. He's always been his own master and his life is only more blissful now. Although it doesn't stop him from barking at all. He can sort of read lips/interpret gestures, although when i want to call him, i have to go find him and tap him on his back, haha. otherwise it's not a problem, you'll learn to communicate with your new dog one way or another, i wouldn't worry about it too much. the dog will not even know it's missing something.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:28 pm
kinda of like this one http://gallery.cuteboxers.com/albums/userpics/10316/normal_Tyson%20sleeping.jpg
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:29 pm
awwwwwwwwwwww! What a cutie! Pit bull?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:29 pm
White Boxer
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:32 pm
that's not the one but the litter was about 7 days ago there was a litter of 8 puppies 2 white and 6 brindles - the guys sells the brindles for a ton of money and gives the white ones away because they are not desirable.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:32 pm
Deafness is an indication of a bad breeding program.

Is the dog a rescue? That's probably the only situation in which I'd consider a dog like this.

If someone's trying to sell it, they should be reported to the AKC.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:33 pm
Just saw your subsequent post.

I'd report him.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:35 pm
ehBeth,

Do you think it's a bad breeding program in all cases? I had a white German Shepherd one that went blind. The vet said it was a genetic defect in the dog. Nothing that could be done about it. Is that what you mean?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:36 pm
if we take the dog we will be rescuing from the pound - the eyes are not open yet so we don't know if it is albino yet

of 3 littesr this is the first litter of white boxers (he claims)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:38 pm
what I have been reading is don't destroy them but rather just don't breed them
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:42 pm
this is a pretty brindle boxer
http://www.laytonboxers.com/dogpic.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:44 pm
The breeder should be reported. He should not be allowed to continue breeding dogs with a known chance of birth defect - he is doing this for money - and the AKC should be notified so that any future litters from him can't be registered.

Other puppies coming from him will need to be monitored to make sure they are not bred.

A number of breeds have deafness as part of a group of defects - you'd be wise to talk to a breed-specific expert, huskeer

This is in effect a puppy mill. There's not much in the world that makes me angrier.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:46 pm
ehBeth wrote:
The breeder should be reported. He should not be allowed to continue breeding dogs with a known chance of birth defect - he is doing this for money - and the AKC should be notified so that any future litters from him can't be registered.

Other puppies coming from him will need to be monitored to make sure they are not bred.

A number of breeds have deafness as part of a group of defects - you'd be wise to talk to a breed-specific expert, huskeer

This is in effect a puppy mill. There's not much in the world that makes me angrier.

ehBeth,

Have to agree with you on the puppy mill thing!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:50 pm
well this is getting ugly

I personally know the guy and it's not a puppy mill
I am going to talk to our vet who happens to be an expert on Boxers.

I feel bad they might put these 2 puppies asleep
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:53 pm
husker,

I know how you feel. I really do. But if ehBeth were right about what she is saying then I think the thing to do would be report the breeder. It's kind of like if you thought someone was hurting a child, you'd report them? However, if you are comfortable he is not running a puppy mill, then that is what counts.

Right now, what is really important is there are two dogs that need a home so they aren't put to sleep. And looks like one already found one!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:54 pm
I feel like you guys are telling me not to adopt a handicapped kid in a way.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:58 pm
husker,

I am definitely not telling you NOT to adopt this puppy! I definitely think you should! I'd love to see that little guy have you and your family as his family!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:58 pm
Boxers are one of my favourite breeds, and I think rescuing a puppy who might be put down is wonderful.

Irresponsible breeders just make me crazy.

Will he pay to have the puppy spayed or neutered?
0 Replies