Science and the Bible

rosborne979

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 08:56 am
Re: Science and the Bible
real life wrote:
Yep, years later we still have evolutionists who cannot endure criticism of their view, refusing to recognize inconsistencies in evolution, and telling creationists what they ought to be doing. Amazing.

Yup, it looks like you and I will be debating to the end of time RL. Find a comfortable chair Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:30 am
REAL LIFE SAID
Quote:
Yep, years later we still have evolutionists who cannot endure criticism of their view, refusing to recognize inconsistencies in evolution, and telling creationists what they ought to be doing. Amazing.

Thats quite a bit disingenuous there RL, As you well know, the history of "creationism" in modern America has been one where first the Creation lobby had successfully passed laws that disallowed the teaching of evolution AT ALL. It wasnt until cases in the South(Including Scopes which ultimately led to the dropping of the ANTI-evolution laws in Tennessee).
You always try to push the envelope of truth when making your pronouncements that we should somehow."Take pity" on the poor Creation /ID crowd who merely want an equal opportunity to spout their stuf fas scientific evidence, when, on the other hand, when they were in control of the state legislatures it took acts of courts and Congress to open the door for modern biology and earth sciences.
We dont forget that once you got your nose under the tent, past history has shown the "Theologic Creationists" to be a churlish lot.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:50 pm
Re: Science and the Bible
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Yup, it looks like you and I will be debating to the end of time RL. Find a comfortable chair Smile

Couldn't ask for better, Ros. Pass the popcorn.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:59 pm
farmerman wrote:
REAL LIFE SAID
Quote:

Thats quite a bit disingenuous there RL, As you well know, the history of "creationism" in modern America has been one where first the Creation lobby had successfully passed laws that disallowed the teaching of evolution AT ALL. It wasnt until cases in the South(Including Scopes which ultimately led to the dropping of the ANTI-evolution laws in Tennessee).
You always try to push the envelope of truth when making your pronouncements that we should somehow."Take pity" on the poor Creation /ID crowd who merely want an equal opportunity to spout their stuf fas scientific evidence, when, on the other hand, when they were in control of the state legislatures it took acts of courts and Congress to open the door for modern biology and earth sciences.
We dont forget that once you got your nose under the tent, past history has shown the "Theologic Creationists" to be a churlish lot.

Hi Farmerman,

Yes there's no doubt that human nature is equally displayed on both sides on this ( and any other debate ).

Creationists don't wear halos. Myself, I am a sinner. I'll tell ya straight out.

Everybody wants their own way. Don't we all know it?

I can be as stubborn as you. (Well maybe). Anyway it's always good talkin' to ya.

Just don't be too disappointed (don't let your systolic skyrocket) if Creationists don't pay much attention to what some evolutionist claims creationists 'ought to be doing'. It's like herding cats. Give it up. Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 09:40 pm
There ya go avoiding my point and winding up with some apparently smartass remark. You know my point is true and youve no rejoinder , or youd have posted one.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 10:12 pm
I didn't think I avoided your point. I agreed with it. Creationists are stubborn and want their own way. Agreed.

It's human nature.

I have much the same opinion of evolutionists however. They are just as human and just as stubborn. Maybe you don't agree with that. That's okay.

Both groups have great difficulty accepting criticism or even someone questioning their view. Yep all true.

I'm no exception to this. I'm just as human and fallible as anyone on either side.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 10:27 pm
Chumly,

Love the thread.

I don't think anyone had a greater influence on my understanding of both religion and science than Isaac Asimov.

Edit: I don't suppose anyone here read Barry B. Longyear? His "Sea of Glass" was a real eye-opener. (His short story "Enemy Mine" was a watchable B grade film)
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:04 pm
I thought Enemy Mine was one of the best movies of it's genre, it has stuck in my mind for a very long time! Asimov is kind'a my #1 hero. I assume you have read Asimov's Guide to the Bible? Alas I have not. The quality and volume of Asimov's work is stunning. I don't recall reading any Barry B. Longyear, but I have read so much SF that I well may have. My fave unknown is James Tiptree Junio.r

Quite an unusual lady for any time
http://mtsu32.mtsu.edu:11072/Tiptree/

Alice Bradley Sheldon was born in 1915 in Chicago, Illinois, daughter of Mary Hastings Bradley, a prolific author, mostly of travel literature, and Herbert Bradley an attorney, African explorer, and naturalist. At an early age, she accompanied her parents on their world travels, including an African safari in 1921-1922. Initially, she pursued a career as a graphic artist and a professional painter. She married, in 1934, William Davey--a marriage which ended in 1941. In 1941, she began a two year stint as an art critic for the Chicago Sun, then joined the United States Army in 1942, being assigned to Air Intelligence the following year.

At the end of the war, she married Huntington Sheldon, and in 1946, she was discharged from the Army after attaining the rank of Major. The same year, she was published for the first time, a piece called "The Lucky Ones" (in The New Yorker) and began to co-manage a small, rural business with her husband. In 1952, however, they both returned to Washington to be in on the ground floor development of the new Central Intelligence Agency, then located in temporary buildings near the Reflecting Pool in Washington. In 1955 she resigned from the C.I.A. In 1959 the C.I.A. moved to Langley Virginia and the Sheldons to nearby McLean, VA.
In 1956, she enrolled at American University, receiving a B.A. in 1959. At George Washington University, she began work on a doctorate in Experimental Psychology, which she finally earned in 1967. In the wake of her pursuit of a graduate degree, after a first career in government service, Sheldon, uncertain what to do with the rest of her life, began to write. In 1968, with the help of her husband and the inspiration of a jar of marmalade, she adopted the pseudonym of "James Tiptree, Jr." and began to publish science fiction short stories, widely admired for their "male" author's ability to delineate female character and explore profoundly women's issues.
In 1973, a first collection of her work, Ten Thousand Light Years from Home, was published by Ace Books. In 1974, her first story--"Angel Fix"--under a second pseudonym, "Raccoona Sheldon"--this time the product of a favorite denizen of her yard and her actual last name--appeared. (She would write four others in subsequent years.) A second collection of stories, Warm Worlds and Otherwise, was issued by Ballantine in 1975--its introduction by Robert Silverberg, full of praise for Tiptree as a terribly perceptive, but distinctly "male" author, demonstrating well that her true identity had not yet been discovered. Her first novel, Up the Walls of the World, was published by Putnam in the same year. By the time her next book, Star Songs of an Old Primate, again a collection of short fiction, appeared from Ballantine in 1978, the secret was out: "James Tiptree, Jr." was a woman.
In the wake of her mother's death in 1976, her trick was exposed, but she also won a Nebula award the same year for her novella, "The Screwfly Solution." Continuing to publish in the science fiction magazines, she collected more stories in the 1981 book Out of the Everywhere and Other Extraordinary Visions (Ballantine). Brightness Falls from the Air was published in 1985.
On May 19, 1987, she took the life of her invalid husband, then 84, blind and bedridden, and then shot herself in the head. They were found dead, hand in hand in bed, in their Maclean, Virginia home, fulfilling a wish, made in a letter (to Robert Silverberg) of 1976, to "take myself off the scene gracefully . . . while I am still me" (Davis A14).
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:09 pm
A Case Of Conscience By James Blish addresses the issue of Science & Religion in a very deep way, one of my fave books of all time!

http://members.aol.com/firoane/blish.htm

Father Ruiz-Sanchez was a dedicated man - a priest who was also a scientist, and a scientist who was also a human being. He found no insoluble conflicts in his beliefs or in his ethics until he was sent to Lithia. There he came upon a race of aliens - reptilian in form - who were admirable in every way except for their total reliance on cold reason: they were incapable of faith and belief. On Lithia, Father Ruiz-Sanchez also found a scientific riddle, and he was presented with an ethical problem that reached across two worlds! Father Ruiz-Sanchez was then torn in a struggle between the teachings of his faith, the teachings of his science and the inner promptings of his humanity. There was only one solution. He had to accept an ancient and unforgivable heresy - and in accepting that heresy, he risked the futures of both worlds.
0 Replies