ET a demon? What's up with that?

Im the other one

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:03 pm
Setanta wrote:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA . . .

heheheheHEHEHEHEAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA . . .

heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

Oh man, you crack me up . . .

I'll be back later--gotta 'pointment with the Anti-Christ for lunch . . .

So you're the false prophet? Shocked

Hmmm...'xplains alot. Razz
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:44 pm
Setanta wrote:
First, on the subject of putative "alien visitations" of this planet: this planet circles an unprepossessing star near the end of one of the spiral arms of this galaxy. We are, in coloquial American terms, in the galactic boonies. There is no particular reason for a space-faring civilization to have come here. On the basis of our knowledge of physics, the proposition of interstellar--nevermind intergalactic--travel entails an enormous commitment of resources and energy. It would work a significant hardship on this entire planet to amass and expend the necessary resources for such a venture. Absent the certainty of a means of propulsion and sustaining a crew which obviate this serious limiting factor, it is unreasonable to assume that any space-faring civilization would set out to just wander around and see what they might stumble over.

Therefore, it is reasonable to assert that were there other civilizations in our galaxy capable of sustained space-flight (and by sustained, i mean thousands of years, which, even at a significant fraction of the speed of light, means centuries of ship-board time), such a civilization would not lightly undertake such a mission. In short, they'd have to have a reason and a goal. One is then lead to ask why they would come here. If they are sufficiently sophisticated, it is not unreasonable to assume that they can detect microwaves, and discern the patterns in such radiation which would be indicative of intent--i.e., they could pick up and correctly interpret a radio or television signal as worthy of investigation because of the mathmatical regularity of the signal, suggesting that the radiation is not randomly produced.

Microwave signals have only been leaving this planet for about seventy years. One of the first such signals would have been the television broadcast of Hitler opening the 1936 Munich Olympic Games. That statement allows me to introduce an amusing irony and confirm Godwin's Law in a single sentence. It follows therefrom that any such space-faring civilizations would necessarily have to be within seventy light-years of this planet just to have become aware of our presence; such a civilization would have to be considerably nearer than thirty-five light years away to have recieved and interpreted the signals and then mounted an expedition which would already have arrived here, and that pre-supposes a near-light-speed propulsion system--a dubious proposition at best.

We have, to date, no evidence of similar signals coming from any source within seventy light-years of this planet, never mind within thirty-five light years. We don't even see any star systems within that range which seem likely candiates for life-supporting planetary systems. The probability that we have been accidently stumbled-over are infinitessimal. The probability that anyone knows we're here and have come to visit is even lower, near to impossibility.

I do not, on the basis explained above, have any good reason to believe that there have ever been alien visitations of this planet.

Second, with regard to the existence of "demons" and Neo's exegesis:

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe . . .

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha . . .

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA . . .

heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

Ah, Jeebus, you crack me up . . .

Great post, but I have a few contentions.
1:Somewhere I read a thesis by a mathematician that given the age of the universe, and the fact that life can exist, the odds point to life being literally everywhere. I can't support this at the moment, being that I can't remember the name of the author, but I'll see if I can't dig it up..
2: Your post seems to assume things based on our current understanding of technology, ie the speed at which they would probably travel. It is possible and reasonable that a species far more advanced than us may have technology that would to us seem like magic, ie instantaneous or at least far faster than light travel.
3: Your post seems to assume that we would recognize aliens should we see them, or detect their microwaves with our instruments. What if these 'aliens' are truely alien, so far from what we 'expect' that one could pass under our nose without us realizing.

Personally I think alien visitation is reasonable, but only given a vastly superior technology.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:46 pm
As for demons...they make for good album cover art and cartoon antagonists.
Thats about as far as that goes.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:17 pm
I use to talk with people about this same subject and some believed in demons and aliens, but couldn't see the connection after reading certain scriptures. I said think about it...

They both possess qualities alike:
they both have the ability to incite extreme fear in an individual, I mean look at them, they're hideous! But it's not just that, the eyes....oh those eyes. The evil presence. The dark and fierce countanence.

Invisibility, top notch speed, levitation, mind control, paralyzation to their victums, the ability to manipulate their surroundings, transformation...many others that I can't remember right now.

But they started to see the connections. Not that they believed me however, but oh well.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:20 pm
Setanta wrote:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA . . .

heheheheHEHEHEHEAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA . . .

heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

Oh man, you crack me up . . .

I'll be back later--gotta 'pointment with the Anti-Christ for lunch . . .

Ah man, come on Set, it's his thread so let him have his words. I mean...I guess I say that cause...well..I like neo.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:25 pm
Re: ET a demon? What's up with that?
neologist wrote:
.....I hope you will be willing to look at the bible allegorically for the sake of argument.
Hard for me to do given that it's literal value is equal to it's allegorical value both of which are inversely proportional to it's contradictions Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:15 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Great post, but I have a few contentions.

You ain't the only one.

Quote:
1:Somewhere I read a thesis by a mathematician that given the age of the universe, and the fact that life can exist, the odds point to life being literally everywhere. I can't support this at the moment, being that I can't remember the name of the author, but I'll see if I can't dig it up..

Actually, i've seen several variants on this theme. I even wondered for a moment if you were playing a game here, but i'm just going to assume that you don't recall well what you read, or that it was not well expressed.

Leaving aside intergalactic travel, for reasons which i will get to a bit later, one would consider the probability of space-faring civilizations arising in this galaxy. As i recall reading, there are a few tens of billions of stars in this galaxy. For sake of speculation (which is all, in the end, this engages), i'll assign a probability of one tenth to each level of consideration.

Before proceeding, however, fully half of all stars can be eliminated. At the galactic center, tidal forces would preclude the probability of life arsing in complex forms on planets--not impossible, but improbable on an order approaching impossibility; in dual-star systems and multi-star gas clouds, other considerations produce the same "unlikelihood" of complex life arising on planets, if any planets even exist in such conditions.

Therefore, we are considering at least a few tens of billions of stars. Stipulating that organic chemicals are as common in the cosmos as dirt on the surface of our planet--not at all an unreasonable stipulation--let's suppose that the probability of the potential of life arising is high, whenever greater cosmic forces do not preclude (center of the galaxy, near "black holes," in multi-star gas clouds, etc.). How many of those few tens of billions of stars, then, have planetary systems? Abandoning in this one case the "one tenth" rule, i'll stipulate about half, and say ten billion stars. Of these, how many have planets suitable for the rise and sustained prevelance of replicating life forms? One billion . . . How many such life sustaining planets remain in a reasonably stable state for long enough that evolutionary forces to create "higher" life forms? One hundred million . . . Of those planets with higher life forms, how many produce sentient, "mechanic" creatures (mechanic in the sense of being able to "manipulate" their environment--whether or not they have "hands")? Ten million . . . Of those planets with such sentient, mechanic life forms, how many produce stable civilizations which do not decay or self-destruct before acheiving space-faring technology? One million . . .

I don't consider the probability that the cosmos is rife with life forms to be an unreasonable proposition. Nevertheless, i consider that i've been unreasonably generous in the casual computation i just went through. However, even with one million potential space-faring civilizations in this galaxy, we would still be at least several hundred light years from the nearest one, considering a more or less even distribution of said planets. It would only be chance which would put us "next door," or hopelessly far away. This brings us down to my original thesis, which comes in the form of a question: why would they want to come here, in particular? At even a hundred light years, they are well beyond the range at which they could have picked up evidence of microwave radiation from this star system, let alone to have found it, interpreted it and responded by immediately coming to investigate.

So in fact, simply positing that life may literally be everywhere, in no way addresses the questions i raised about the probability that we've been visited.

Quote:
2: Your post seems to assume things based on our current understanding of technology, ie the speed at which they would probably travel.

No, it assumes that 299,792,458 meters per second is the cosmic speed limit. You're going to have to do much better than that. I know people don't like speed limits--but unless and until you can plausibly speculate on how a mass of matter ran reach 300,000 kilometers per second without vaporizing into energy, i intend to insist upon it. Science fiction is an interesting genre--i read lots of it when i was young. It is not a basis upon which to speculate upon what can or has happened in fact on this planet. It is for this reason that i won't even canvas the possibility of inter-galactic travel.

For someone who rejects the fictions of religious scripture, it is ironic to see you indulge something like this.

Quote:
It is possible and reasonable that a species far more advanced than us may have technology that would to us seem like magic, ie instantaneous or at least far faster than light travel.

Horsie poop--see the condition required above. Being so advanced technologically as to seem to us to have magical power (Isaac Azimov, by the way) will not permit such a putative species to make silk purses of sows' ears. The limitations to which i referred placed on interstellar travel on a large scale by the marshalling of resources and energy apply to magic wands and warp drives just as much as they do to hydrogen converters.

Quote:
3: Your post seems to assume that we would recognize aliens should we see them, or detect their microwaves with our instruments.

My post neither assumes as much, nor even seems to. At no time did i speculate on whether or not we would know if the little green men had been here--a possiblity which i consider ludicrous for other reasons in addition to what i've already mentioned. However, my post makes no such assumptions. As for detecting microwaves, we've got that one licked.

Quote:
What if these 'aliens' are truely alien, so far from what we 'expect' that one could pass under our nose without us realizing.

What if we are the first civilization to approach the threshold of space-faring? What if we are the last, and all the others are gone, or have left the building? Such speculation does not at all relate to the objections i raised, which have to do with the likelihood that anyone would come here in particular.

Quote:
Personally I think alien visitation is reasonable, but only given a vastly superior technology.

You are entitled, of course, to think what you like. I do not see you offering any valid objections to my thesis, which concerns itself with the probability that any other species capable of space-faring would have come here in particular.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:42 pm
I'm the other one wrote:
Ah man, come on Set, it's his thread so let him have his words. I mean...I guess I say that cause...well..I like neo.

I've known Neo now for a few years. We have laughed at one another and at the religious wackos (of whom i consider him to be a representative) together since we first encountered one another in just such a situation. I like Neo, too, but if you tell him that, i'm afraid i'd be obliged to have you killed.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:11 am
HAHAHA!!!

Won't happen. I have the greatest protection possible.

Besides...neo read it already.

*smiles*
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:21 am
Hi Setanta,
Quote:

No, it assumes that 299,792,458 meters per second is the cosmic speed limit. You're going to have to do much better than that. I know people don't like speed limits--but unless and until you can plausibly speculate on how a mass of matter ran reach 300,000 kilometers per second without vaporizing into energy, i intend to insist upon it. Science fiction is an interesting genre--i read lots of it when i was young. It is not a basis upon which to speculate upon what can or has happened in fact on this planet. It is for this reason that i won't even canvas the possibility of inter-galactic travel.

For someone who rejects the fictions of religious scripture, it is ironic to see you indulge something like this.

It ain't just the fictions of religious scriptures I reject, it's all forms of self deceptive fantasy. That aside though, I am fairly liberal about what I think may be possible.
I don't feel that we as humans understand the universe much better than an ant would understand a computer. I see us as being limited by our machinery(of the wetware variety) as to what we can do and comprehend.
That said, I can conceive of a species with far greater cognitive machinery, and from that I can also conceive of the idea of technologies that would seem to totally defy our current understanding of science.
In the words of doctor Albert Einstein,
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have."
Words I happen to agree with.
As for the actual probability of life existing out there, nevermind the probability of visitation...
We have no way to calculate, being that we have only one recorded case, and very little technology to detect other cases.
It could be everywhere or nowhere. This is all conjecture really.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:24 am
Setanta wrote:
I'm the other one wrote:

I've known Neo now for a few years. We have laughed at one another and at the religious wackos (of whom i consider him to be a representative) together since we first encountered one another in just such a situation. I like Neo, too, but if you tell him that, i'm afraid i'd be obliged to have you killed.
Ignoring.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:34 am
Thanks, Bubba, i knew i could count on ya . . .
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 04:29 am
Re: ET a demon? What's up with that?
neologist wrote:
If you are not a bible believer, I hope you will be willing to look at the bible allegorically for the sake of argument.

So, who or what is responsible for the many reported 'extraterrestrial' experiences?

the creator.
0 Replies

lightfoot

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 05:21 pm
DTOM.
Wrong. It's the creators... the one's that compiled the bible... end of story.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:54 pm
lightfoot wrote:
DTOM.
Wrong. It's the creators... the one's that compiled the bible... end of story.

huh??

naw, the bible doesn't enter into it for me. written by earthbound types. not much perspective in that way.

creator. creators. who knows. i'm in more than enough awe of simply being here. one creator is enough for me to ponder. after that, i start getting a headache.
0 Replies

lightfoot

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:47 pm
DTOM.

Think of three thousand years from now, the headache the future inhabitants will get...... trying to make head or tail of what we/they/some/all believe now??
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 08:41 pm
lightfoot wrote:
DTOM.

Think of three thousand years from now, the headache the future inhabitants will get...... trying to make head or tail of what we/they/some/all believe now??

hahahahahaha!! guess it's doubtful that it will all be figured out by then. :wink:

if nothing else, i can't see how the overall question is gonna get any smaller.
0 Replies