Religion and the Voting Booth!

New Haven

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:38 am
If it's in Salam, Ma...I would not feel comfortable!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:39 am
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:41 am
Maybe the voting booth was in the church so that a spiritual environment could be had.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:42 am
NH, I believe that God is stronger than any demons (taken together with ther boss the Satan); and if you really believe in God and are loyal to His church, He will protect you in any environment, even in Salem, Ma or on the Brocken Mountain in Germany(I am not sure of spelling of the latter toponym).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:48 am
steissd said
Quote:
"But this period has ended long ago, and modern Christian churches are tolerant toward Jews"

In a story in the Bristol Herald Courier, Jerry Falwell, speaking to a crowd of 1500 Sullivan County Baptists, made good on his earlier promise to target Jews. In a church in Kingsport, Falwell told an enthusiastic audience that the Antichrist was alive, walking around somewhere, and was a male Jew. What he didn't know was a reporter was in the audience and the word leaked out.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:52 am
OK, some particular male Jew may be a vile person (examples: Leon Trotsky, Karl Marx, Meyer Lanski or "Dutch" Schultz). It is not an accusation against the whole ethnos.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:53 am
Steissd- You are coming from your own frame of reference, which is fine for you personally.

Quote:
For many Jews, the sign of the Cross brings to mind , years and years of Chrisitian persecution against other religions.

I definitely agree with New Haven on this matter.

Quote:
But this period has ended long ago, and modern Christian churches are tolerant toward Jews.

Maybe the churches are more tolerant, but anti-Semitism is not dead, by a long shot.

I DO agree with you that is is a bit extreme for someone to file a lawsuit.
If I were that man I would do as I think you suggested, file an absentee ballot if going into a church were too traumatic for him.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:56 am
I think that modern, post WWII, anti-Semitism (except the Islamic one) has nothing to do with religion, it is a kind of racism.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:56 am
Quote:
In a story in the Bristol Herald Courier, Jerry Falwell, speaking to a crowd of 1500 Sullivan County Baptists, made good on his earlier promise to target Jews.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 09:02 am
May I have a link to the article? I would like to see that it is not just an attack on several liberal politicians or gay activists that are occasionally of Jewish origin. I would not be so prompt to consider an anti-Semite anyone who criticizes Senator Joseph Liebermann or, on the contrary, Mr. Richard Perle.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 09:06 am
http://www.sullivan-county.com/news/rel_war/falwell_jews.htm
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 09:19 am
Quote:
Falwell, the chancellor of Liberty University in Lynchburg and founder of the now-defunct Moral Majority, said Friday in Williamsburg that he did not intend for his statement to be anti-Jewish. He said he meant only that the Antichrist must be Jewish because Jesus Christ was a Jew.

"If he's going to be the counterfeit of Christ, he has to be Jewish," Falwell said. "The only thing we know is he must be male and Jewish."

Such an explanation seems logical. I am not going to discuss the very issue of forthcoming Antichrist (different Christian churches have different approaches to the issue), but if someone wants to pretend being Jesus Christ, he is supposed to be in a shape of Jewish male for obvious reasons, just as Saddam's double must be male, Arab and to be at age of 60+. I always knew that the Christian fundamentalists had positive attitudes toward both Jewish people in general (and not the particular Jewish male allegedly possessed by Satan) and State of Israel. I do not think that Rev. Falwell preached anti-Semitism.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 06:27 am
Jesus Christ was a Hebrew. Not a Jew.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 06:30 am
Didn't Jerry "preach" in Jewish temples also? I heard he was warmly received.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 11:39 am
New Haven wrote:
Jesus Christ was a Hebrew. Not a Jew.

Sorry, but what is the difference. Hebrews and Jews are two different names of the same nation.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 11:59 am
Jesus Christ was both a Jew and a Levite.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 12:13 pm
Well, if he was a Levite he would not be able to be a Messiah. He is believed be a descendant of the King David's dynasty.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 12:25 pm
I'll have to check this out carefully.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 12:26 pm
Jesus Christ was a Hebrew and not Jew, meaning that Judaism was not his religion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 12:28 pm
Maybe, this paper can lift some of the above confusion:

Jesus the Jew
0 Replies