• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 750 • Replies: 8
No top replies

squinney

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:23 pm
Now THAT's a case to watch.

From what I gathered from HERE, it is a crime in Italy to promote fanatacism. Wherein the priest printed in the church bulletin some details of Christs life and especially his suffering by crucifixion which an athiest determined was "promoting fanaticism" since he finds the story of Jesus to not be true, but rather contrived from the life of another fella that had lived in Gallilea.

So, I wonder how the priest will prove Jesus' existence...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:33 pm
Quote:
Father Righi said there was overwhelming testimony to Christ's existence in religious and secular texts. Millions had in any case believed in Christ as both man and Son of God for 2,000 years.

"If Cascioli does not see the sun in the sky at midday, he cannot sue me because I see it and he does not," Father Righi said.

I wonder if Mr. Righi sees Jeebus in the sky at midday.

That is a flagrant example of argumentum ad populum. As Anatole France pointed out, "Because fifty million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."

Also, there is excellent evidence that the passage in Tacitus was a christian interpolation, especially as it mentions Christ and christians in the context of the reign of the Emperor Germanicus, popularly known as Nero. The passage that the Jesus freaks harp on has to do with the fire at Rome, 64 CE. The putative Jesus--who if he ever existed (doubtful) would have been known as the Rabbi Joshuah (or Yeshuah)--was not known as "the Christ" in 64 CE, nor were the adherents of that cult of Judaism known yet as christians. Even were the disputed passage (from The Annals of Imperial Rome) accurate and not an interpolation, Tacitus simply takes note that such a cult existed--he nowhere states that the putative Jesus existed.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:38 pm
squinney wrote:
Now THAT's a case to watch.

Exactly what I thought. Bizarre, but fascinating.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 01:18 pm
Here's the Complaint in plain English.

http://www.anti-religions.org/eng/processo.php

Has anyone ever heard of this being done before?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 01:26 pm
The wrath of the beast grows, as he knows his time is short.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 01:27 pm
The idiocy of the deluded becomes feverish, as the millenium eternally recedes . . .
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 01:41 pm
Setanta wrote:
The idiocy of the deluded becomes feverish, as the millenium eternally recedes . . .

Mr. Setanta,

I finally agree 100% with something you say! Shocked Yes, there are many deceived and deluded. I am so thankful you finally see that!http://www.websmileys.com/sm/love/663.gif

Well, I guess I should have realized you were seeing it when you said you were conversing with God. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 03:29 am
Quote:
Did Jesus exist? Case dismissed

Friday, February 10, 2006 Posted: 1647 GMT

ROME, Italy (AP) -- An Italian judge has dismissed an atheist's petition that a small-town priest should stand trial for asserting that Jesus Christ existed, both sides said on Friday.

Luigi Cascioli, a 72-year-old retired agronomist, had accused the Rev. Enrico Righi of violating two laws with the assertion, which he called a deceptive fable propagated by the Roman Catholic Church.

"The Rev. Righi is very satisfied and moved," Righi's attorney, Severo Bruno, said. "He is an old, small-town parish priest who never would have thought he'd be in the spotlight for something like this."

Cascioli, a former schoolmate of Righi's, said he had not expected the case to succeed in overwhelmingly Roman Catholic Italy.

"This is not surprising but it doesn't mean it all ends here," he said, adding that he's considering taking the case to the European Court of Human Rights.

"This is an important case and it deserves to go ahead," he said.

Judge Gaetano Mautone said in his decision that prosecutors should investigate Cascioli for possible slander.

The ruling was released Thursday in Viterbo, a town north of Rome where the priest is based. Cascioli filed a criminal complaint against Righi in 2002 after Righi wrote in a parish bulletin that Jesus existed, that he was born to a couple named Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem and that he lived in Nazareth.

Righi, 76, said substantial historical evidence proves Jesus' existence.

Cascioli claimed that Righi's assertions violated two Italian laws: one barring "abuse of popular belief," or fraudulently deceiving people; and another barring "impersonation" or personal gain from attributing a false name to someone.
Source
0 Replies