• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,886 • Replies: 39
No top replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 12:46 pm
Gnostic:
someone who claimed to have special knowledge, particularly of a religious nature, such as passwords for getting into the heavens or for controlling angels.
--------------------
Blessed are those who control angels.

Gnostics should never ever say: "I'm a gnostic."
0 Replies

SallyMander

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:25 pm
Gnostic?
I might consider a religion. Rolling Eyes Gnosticism? Care to explain how you find it inspiring, useful, or edifying?

Just went to a Christian Sunday school with my father. Enjoyed the discussion and appreciated the topics, but I don't hold their religious belief of a divine Christ or that his words were holier or more of a mandate than other decent traditions.

So to hang with mainstream Christians for the discussions would eventually sour. How do Gnostics feel about trading insights with a nonbeliever who shares many principles?

I read a description here: <http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhlintro.html>

Do gnostics have places like churches or temples where they go to discuss, and learn--once a month or whatever?

Sal
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:04 am
Welcome to the forum Karalily and SallyMander. This is a forum of frolic and fun. Smile

As for the word gnostic, my first thought was for the pasta I enjoyed several nights ago.

But then I remembered:

The touchstone for professed christian gnostics is Jesus' statement at Matthew 11:25: "I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to babes."

Obviously, Jesus did not espouse gnosticism.
0 Replies

SallyMander

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 01:58 pm
Don't need a weatherman to gnow which way the wind blows?
Thanks for the welcome, and the tip, neologist! Smile

Lucky I'm such a babe.

gnoccio, gnoccias, gnocciat, gnociamus, gnociatis, gnociant ??

Laughing
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 02:20 pm
neologist wrote:
The touchstone for professed christian gnostics is Jesus' statement at Matthew 11:25: "I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to babes."

Obviously, Jesus did not espouse gnosticism.

Perhaps not the 'school of thought' that is currently regarded as gnosticism.

I think Jesus did not espouse any kind of '-ism.'

As far as the purest definition of gnosis:
Intuitive apprehension of spiritual truths, an esoteric form of knowledge

--that is exactly what Jesus was speaking about:

Quote:
He answered them, "You have been given knowledge about the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but it hasn't been given to them.
~Matthew 13:11

Also as mentioned here:

The anointing you received from him abides in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. Instead, because his anointing teaches you about everything and is true and not a lie, abide in him, as he taught you to do.
~1 John 2:27

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and remind you of all that I have told you.
~John 14:26
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:55 pm
Don't hit me, I'm curious...how does one differentiate between gnosis and imagination....or between gnosis and psychopathology?
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:03 am
Huh?

Heehee
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:25 am
There have been more varieties of Gnosticism than probably any other religious movement. And unless it's agreed upon which kind of "Gnosticism" is being discussed, the term itself is pretty useless.
These days, the word almost always describes a (somewhat) Christian sect that is very similar to Buddhism. The other meanings are mainly used by people trying to discredit Gnosticism.
I think Jesus most likely was a Gnostic teacher. The best evidence I know to support this is the fact that the early Christian leaders severely persecuted Gnostics and burned any Gnostic scripture they could get their hands on (which, BTW, is why you don't hear more about them).
It was only fifty or sixty years ago that the only truly Gnostic texts known to still exist were found in Egypt (Nag Hammadi).
Before that, most of what was known about Gnosticism was what the Catholics and other Christians propagandized.
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:34 am
Eorl wrote:
Don't hit me, I'm curious...how does one differentiate between gnosis and imagination....or between gnosis and psychopathology?

Well, because the orderly understanding that comes with gnosis is not at all contradictory or confusing as psychopathy or as meandering, unsure, and incomplete as imagination frequently is. It just makes too much sense to be coming from normal human speculation. It's also not easily explained to others, hence the need for the individual experience of gnosis.

Also, outside of psychological problems, it is not hard to differentiate between
one's own thoughts and those from another source--especially if a person is a 'thinker' (rather than a 'knower')
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:41 am
Eorl wrote:
...how does one differentiate between gnosis and imagination....?

I'd say their pretty much opposites. "Gnosis" is said to result from introspection (and reasoning). "Imagination"... well, we know what that is.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 08:10 am
Gnosticism tends to be associated with the concept of a Demiurge, a mad God that thinks he is the Creator but isn't really.

Some have acquainted the Demiurge to the God of the Old Testament. Others have associated him with the Abrahamic God.

This school of thought tends to get confused with Satanism, because both reject the Abrahamic God.

The difference with Gnosticism is that it is believed the Demiurge is a product of the real God, or rather, Goddess, known as Sophia (Wisdom). Of course, Gnosticism is quite a loose term and as I've said before can be confused with a number of other things.

I once confused Doktor S's brand of Satanism with a certain brand of Gnosticism.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:26 am
If anyone's interested in learning about it, The Gnostic Society Library is a good place to start.
0 Replies

SallyMander

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 09:09 am
Hm. Comparing to a classical view that the gods may share divine verities with a few chosen mortals, how would gnosis differ? Jesus did the sharing?

Or are are you saying that everyone is packed with a user's manual but only some have tapped into it?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 11:07 am
SallyMander wrote:
Or are are you saying that everyone is packed with a user's manual but only some have tapped into it?

I think that's it, exactly.
0 Replies

SallyMander

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 11:39 am
Quote:

This technology is stretching me. Laughing Hope I just quoted echi's "exactly."

Well, I have another question, then--two-part:

1. If knowledge (I think of 'the true' god or whatever) is revealed to and experienced by each person alone, (how enlightening!), one could argue that common perception, fancy, and truth would be experienced ONLY if all were one and time-spaceless. Yet, considering the human brain at times sends perception and fancy through the same pipe, how would ye know relative-subjective perception from divine revelation?

Universalism requires a backward argument--an assumption that the gnowing/perception/experience is true, rather than worldly.

Puzzling.

2. If one knows what's going on intuitively (common sense), why cite sources? Yet, what if one bloke avers one truth and another gnows its opposite? Strength of faith prevails? Persona? History (acquired wisdom)?

Hmmm?

Thanks!

Sal
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:03 pm
Sal--

I am fascinated by your question, even as I am unable to grasp exactly what you mean.
This may take a few minutes.

-------------------------
BTW, in order to make sure that your message is in proper form, click the "Preview" box, and it will appear at the top of your screen. You can then scroll down and make changes before you Submit.
0 Replies

azure

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:31 pm
I'm not Gnostic but do follow Buddhist philosophy.
I find there are similarities but major differences.
Gnostics do believe in a form of enlightenment and also similar to eastern religion they believed in reincarnation. However Buddhism sets itself apart from it all because they do not hold a heirarchy or believe in a particular deity.

I also find that people wil dismiss Gnostism because its based on hidden knowledge but if we were to look at other religions they also have similar sects. For example The Vedas in Hinduism and Kabbalah in Judiaism.
0 Replies

SallyMander

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:56 pm
Take two for echi. I'm probably addressing too much at once. "Gnowing" means gnostic revelation below.

[1] Premise: Revealed knowledge (gnowing) of the divine (or divine being) is a personal event between man and god. (This principle became popular in Europe during the Enlightenment.)

[2] Even assuming that, man experiences all through his/her human faculties. By virtue of differences and human means of "representing," or "experiencing," human experience is individual, relative, and subjective. ("Angry" to me feels different and "is" a different _experience_ for me than "angry" to you.) Thus, because of our widely varying inner experience, we would be unlikely to experience the divine or a divine being as any other human would. Where does that leave "gnowing"? Each person's "knowledge" of the divine would be relative and subjective, right?

[3] Therefore, divine "is" absolute, but its experience by multiple individuals has integrity only if we were all one, and also one with the divine. That oneness would have to exist beyond (human, worldly) time and space, to assure the integrity of the divine and individual perception of it. (A gnostic principle?)

[4] Fact: The human brain at times processes perception and fancy through the same neurological centers, thus, at times we experience fact and fancy as "the same." In human mode, how do we know we "gnow"?

[5] We cannot separate for sure our own relative-subjective perception from divine revelation while we exist in human form. Therefore, we would have to die (abandon flesh) to "experience" the universal undistorted. Yet we have to deal with Earthly matters in life. Would we know that we "gnow" by faith? Would our prophecies be more likely to come true than the predictions of those less in the gnow?

[6] Despite the dogma of Western religion, it would seem useless to codify "knowledge" of the divine into religion because we as humans experience and represent our gnowing drastically differently. Where does that put churches, liturgy, and Bible/Koran, etc.?

Any clearer? A little disjointed, I guess.

[7] 2. Meanwhile, as humans, if one knows what's going on intuitively (or by common sense) or absolutely, why cite sources even in human existence? No substantiation would add to or detract from absolute truth.

Yet, what if humans "gnow" opposing things? How would we know whether THEY gnow about something happening on the planet? They could make the right prediction based on the wrong reasons/phenomena. Or we could simply see "it" differently and assume our way is correct and gnown.

[8] Could we know by how pious/faithful the speaker?
[9] By the way we intuitively feel in their presence?
[10] By the history of what they have said and done (could they never be wrong)?
[11] By science--the antithesis of divine revelation?

Any more intelligible, echi?

Too many suppositions and questions? Remember, I'm barely hatched. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:23 pm
Sal--

It is only by way of reason/reasoning that any truth can be known. We each have to utilize our own sense of reason before we can accept that what we know is true.

Quote:
Universalism requires a backward argument--an assumption that the gnowing/perception/experience is true, rather than worldly.

The gnostic concept of "gnosis" (like Buddhist "enlightenment") requires that no assumption go unchallenged.

The "sources" you mention (I assume) do not contain any sort of dogma or any detailed set of beliefs to which one must conform. Instead, they probably contain (knowingly) vague descriptions of what someone else has reported to be true, as well as their own, personal advice for the reader (calling one's attention to concepts that are commonly overlooked). I have found this to be the case with all "gnostic" scripture that I have read (which is relatively little).

The reason for the descriptions being "knowingly vague" is that they attempt to describe that which is not accurately describable. Although nothing can truly be accurately described, this fact becomes obvious when the "subject" is "reality".
0 Replies