"The Book of Daniel"/A Tempest in a Teapot

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 10:10 am
There has been a lot of talk about the new TV show, "The Book of Daniel", which will be airing on Friday. The main concern appears to be that people believe that the show is mocking Christianity.

I just got my TV book that comes with my Sunday paper. It has a big article on the show. Unfortunately, when I found the site that created the article, it does not have the entire article online, but I would like to quote two paragraphs that I think is extremely relevent.

Quote:
"These scenes between Daniel and Jesus are a defining part of "The Book of Daniel", and it is crucial that viewers understand that this is not, in the joking words of creator Jack Kenny, "I Dream of Jesus".

"It is not like somebody is going to walk in and embarrass him because Daniel is talking to himself or something", Kenny says, "Jesus is an embodiment of Daniel's faith. He is the best part of Daniel. He is there to remind Daniel how to live his life, not to tell him, because Daniel knows-as we all know- that we are doing something good or something not good. Jesus is also a friend. He and Daniel grew up together. So he is the guy Daniel talks to".

Actually, IMO, this description sounds rather reverent and religious. I really think that it is foolish for people to rail against this show without having seen it.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,273|4033|1|,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 923 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 10:16 am
Apparently, the people who are so incensed by this show, which they have never seen, are merely parroting the "take" of the American Family Association.

It would be nice if people thought for themselves.

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/12/afa/302005b.asp

Quote:
AFA is calling on TV viewers to send a letter through its website asking NBC affiliates to refuse to air the show. Dr. Don Wildmon, AFA chairman and founder, contends the network's decision to air the series "reflects the anti-Christian bias which exists at the highest levels of the network."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:13 am
It sounds like it may be worth checking out. I have not abandoned television entirely, as some a2kers have done, and I generally search out the new shows for an episode or two anyway. Most of it's a waste, but then I am easily entertained.

The Book of Daniel is probably seeking to mine the groundswell for Jesus, since the execs know what a loyal audience some Christians can be.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 12:18 pm
Phoenix,

Since I have not seen this show, there is no way I can make any kind of informed decision on whether it does or does not mock Christianity.

If, as the two paragraphs you quoted, are adhered to, it does not sound mocking at all.

I am going to watch the show and will make a decision about it then. I just hope and pray that it does not mock Christianity. I think pretty much everyone that reads my posts know that I wouldn't find that humorous at all.

So, it's a wait and see for me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 12:53 pm
Momma- I really think that the best thing is to see the show for yourself, and come to a conclusion.

edgarblythe wrote:
The Book of Daniel is probably seeking to mine the groundswell for Jesus, since the execs know what a loyal audience some Christians can be.

I think that you are probably right. I believe that it would be absolute stupidity for the TV execs to put on a show that would turn off a large demographic. It would just be poor business.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 01:01 pm
Agree with you completely, Phoenix.

Happy New Year my friend!
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 01:05 pm
There was a series of books centered around Don Camillo during the 1950s and early 1960s. The stories are all set in Post-WWII Italy. Don Camillo was a simple priest serving a small backwater village. Many, probably most, of his problems come from the Village Mayor, who is a devot and godless Communist. Don Camillo and the Mayor, despite their political and religious differences, are close friends otherwise. The third major character in the series is Jesus, who speaks to Don Camillo from the cross over the church alter. Don Camillo takes his problems to Jesus, and is "guided" by him through the trials and tribulations of a world emerging from chaos where traditional Italian values seem to be crumbling. Now this all seems very serious, but actually the Don Camillo books are full of warm humor and it is easy to sympathize with all of the characters. I've about talked myself into looking the books up again for a pleasant re-read.

BTW, there was no public outcry at the time. This new television show sounds as if it might be an updated version of Don Camillo cast in terms to capture a mass American audience. I hope so. The most dangerous of all religious fanatics are those who have no sense of humor.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 01:19 pm
Asherman- I never read it, I remember a book that my parents had, "The Little World of Don Camillo". Wow, that was a long time ago!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/doncamillo/litworld.htm
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 02:03 pm
Well, I'm an old guy with long memories. The Little World of Don Camillo, I think, was the first, or second book in the series. The whole series, if memory serves, was six or seven books. Its well worth a read, and may help some to a better understanding of what was going on in the world in those oh so ancient days.

Check the link in Phoenix's post for more information on the Don Camillo series. It turns out that there were Don Camillo stories than I remebered. I wonder if there were some I didn't read. In those days I tended to go for more "serious" stuff, but also read a lot of Max Schulman and other comic novels. I still like books that have a sense of humor to them. I just finished the last book in the Flashman series, and enjoyed it a lot. Next up is The Biography of London, but I don't expect much humor there.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 11:43 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Momma- I really think that the best thing is to see the show for yourself, and come to a conclusion.

edgarblythe wrote:

I think that you are probably right. I believe that it would be absolute stupidity for the TV execs to put on a show that would turn off a large demographic. It would just be poor business.

So are you still of the same opinion?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 07:10 am
real life- As I said on another thread, a lously show is a lousy show, no matter what the content. I think that it was dropped for lack of interest.

I watched 15 minutes of it, and was bored silly!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:57 am
Hi Phoenix,

My question is, if you were a network exec, would you have been smart enough to know that a show with all of the negative elements that this contained would indeed offend a large demographic? (probably yes?)

Do you think that you are a better judge of audiences than they? (probably no?)

So, why do you think they went ahead anyway when it should have been obvious that this would 'play out' as it did?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:56 pm
real life- I don't think that the network execs anticipated the commotion that the reports of the show caused, even before the show was aired.

Quote:
So, why do you think they went ahead anyway when it should have been obvious that this would 'play out' as it did?

I am not so sure that the pressure that was brought to bear was the entire reason for the demise of the show, but I suspect that it did play a part. Do you realize how many shows are put on the air, and never make it, no matter what the subject? The TV execs goofed, as they often do.

I think that you all might find this amusing.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271%7C89738%7C1%7C,00.html

Only a couple of old shows that finally "bit the dust" are familiar. I've never heard of the others.

http://primetimetv.about.com/library/blcancelled.htm
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:32 pm
Did you guys see a show called "Joan of Arcadia?" Sounds very similar to this.
God keeps appearing to this teenage American Joan in the guise of ordinary people.

(She fears she is schizophrenic and it would have been sooo good if we, the viewer, were also left to wonder about that.)

Perhaps it was shelved in the US for similar reasons?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 09:00 pm
Joan of Arcadia was a much better show. Both better in concept and writing. I thought that the program might be an updated Americanized Don Camillo, to bad it wasn't. I tried to locate some of the Don Camillo books in the local library system, but no luck.
0 Replies