Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 08:38 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,088 • Replies: 9
No top replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 10:14 am
bumblebee - if you have another source confirming this story, I would appreciate it.

The problem I have with the London Times is that it is a Murdoch paper, and, just lie Fox news and the rest of his publications, they are more devoted to tabloid stuff, and have had to print retractions.

Not that I doubt the story - it seems likely - but the London Times is not longer the paper it used to be.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 06:31 pm
Reply to Mamajuama
Mamajuama, the story is based on a journalist's interview, rather tham coming from a news service, so this is the only source. However, I did look up the journalist and found the following on Google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Richard+Lloyd+Parry+&btnG=Google+Search

-----BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 09:31 pm
Okay - thanks. As I said, it's not that I necessarily doubt the story, but Murdoch, Fox News, the New York Post -all the Murdoch media - this is a man I truly believe has no morals or ethics, nor does he care anything about journalism. And in almost everything he puts out he's instaled a son, a relative, a lackey. So, I'm torn about this.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 09:44 pm
It definitely makes a lot of sense to me. I saw a quote somewhere else -- from an Iraqi doctor commenting on his desire to show that Iraqis are a humane, civilized people.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 06:58 pm
thanks for posting this, BBB
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 10:40 pm
It's also a curious fact that very little else has been mentioned about the rescue. Not in the papers, not on tv. The story is not receiving the coverage - so one must wonder.

I try to be careful about this whole subject, because of how I feel and have felt about it. But I also feel strongly about Rupert Murdoch. Here's something else...Murdoch was given permission by the FCC to have several tv channels as well as papers in the NY area, something not previously allowed to other networks. And the FCC is headed by Michael Powel, son of Colin.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 01:56 am
One of the first reports, we received was that the "Doctors" in Iraq in Jessica's hospital had been planning, prior to her rescue, on amputating her leg.

Doesn't sound like very good medical treatment in that hospital!
How often is a broken leg treated, in the US, by amputation.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 01:42 pm
Source, new haven? What I read was the opposite. That they were attending Lynch well and properly, and that there were no bullet holes as first described. I read an AP dispatch, where does your come from?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 11:39 am
Quote:
Private Lynch was kept alone in a single room, where her nurses would sing her to sleep each night. But as the shelling and shooting intensified near Nasiriya, her doctors moved her to a crowded ward. It was better to hide her in plain sight, they said. After all, as the Americans drew near, Iraqi intelligence agents were certain to take her away.

"When they showed up, I had the nurses tell them she was dead," Dr. Houssona said. "They asked the nurses, `So where is the cadaver?' They told them so many people had died at the hospital that we simply threw the bodies out the door."

Sensing the end was near, the doctors devised a plan. They hired a driver to sneak Private Lynch in an ambulance to an American checkpoint. But when the driver drew near to the American troops, they stopped his car and turned it around before the driver had a chance to speak.

"So we waited," Dr. Houssona said.

They did not have long to wait. Two days later, close to midnight, there was a deafening explosion just beyond the hospital grounds. The thudding staccato of helicopter rotors sounded in the darkness. The American Special Forces had arrived.

The soldiers stormed the hospital, working slowly down the halls. They detained four doctors at gunpoint, Dr. Houssona said, binding their hands with plastic ties.

As one team rescued Private Lynch, he said, a second searched for Iraqi troops and a third dug up the remains of nine bodies, thought to be other American prisoners who were buried on the grounds. All told, the mission took four hours. They vanished just as swiftly as they arrived.

These days, Dr. Houssona and Dr. Uday are struggling to treat Iraqi patients in a hospital lacking the most basic medical supplies. They have not forgotten Jessica Lynch.

"If I could talk to her," Dr. Uday said, "I would wish her a happy life." Dr. Houssona had a message of his own. "I would tell her I miss her," he said.

New York Times Article

The Iraqi doctors not only took care of her, they actively tried to get her back to the Americans themselves.
0 Replies