Come fellow atheists! A God theory actually worth discussing

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 08:46 pm
I've finally found a somewhat challenging theory of God's existence. Now, you ravenous atheists, prove it wrong! Twisted Evil

Theodicy: Proof of the Existence of God

1. I am subject to doubt; therefore I am imperfect; hence I am not the cause of my existence.

2. I have the "idea" of "the perfect." This ideas must come from a perfect Being (God).

3. The analysis of the idea of "the perfect" includes the existence of the perfect being (St. Anselm's arguments).

In regard to the attributes of God, the theory maintains that God alone is true substance; the divine veracity guarantees the validity of the clear and distinct ideas; granted the existence of God, the hypothesis of the spell of the malignant spirit falls.

In regard to the origin of ideas, the theory holds that:

1. Some ideas are innate (the idea of God and the first principles of reason and morality);
2. Others are adventitious (determined through sensation);
3. Still others are fictitious.

Only innate ideas enjoy the guarantee of validity. Thus, the idea of a God is determined to be valid.

Yeah, I know we haven't much challenge disproving God lately, but this theory really baffles me. Anyone wanna give it a shot?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 835 • Replies: 18
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 08:59 pm
I think people make a mistake of theorizing themselves in a corner, reminding me of a dog chasing its tail. If one is into playing puzzles, it's all fine and I have no quarrel that they do it. But, I think these exercises are futile.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 11:21 pm
Is the fact that we are imperfect due to some flaw in God?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:16 am
CrazyDiamond,

What would you like demolishing first...."I", "cause",
"existence" or "validity" ? Laughing .

Edgar is right, this is philosophical tail chasing based on presuppositions about the possible "nature of God".
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:21 am
Quote:
2. I have the "idea" of "the perfect." This ideas must come from a perfect Being (God).

How do you get from the first premise to the next?
What is perfect?

Quote:
The analysis of the idea of "the perfect" includes the existence of the perfect being (St. Anselm's arguments).

No. We can think of a mermaid but does that mean that mermaids exist?

Quote:
1. Some ideas are innate (the idea of God and the first principles of reason and morality);

It may not be the idea of God that is innate. It is the condition of cause and effect that is innate.

Quote:
Only innate ideas enjoy the guarantee of validity.

There is probably no such thing as "innate ideas." There is innate capabilities, that of reason and sensation, along with the precondition of time and space, but ideas can only be formed once we have sensed the world. Thus, rational thinking must be provided with information that is to be logically analyzed.

If you have never seen anything, how can you imagine the idea of adding two things?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 04:35 am
Re: Come fellow atheists! A God theory actually worth discus
CrazyDiamond wrote:
1. I am subject to doubt; therefore I am imperfect; hence I am not the cause of my existence.

It seems like you've assumed already that a perfect being caused your existence, since you've said that, "I am imperfect, therefore I am not the cause of my existence," which implies that if you were the cause of your existence, you would be perfect.

On what basis can you assume that a perfect being caused your existence?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:16 am
Rolling Eyes

these reasons sound like someone threw a few five dollar words together to appear intelligent to someone..

proof of god?
Laughing Im not an athiest, but even I know that is impossible.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:53 am
I am so bored at the moment, so I'm going to take a wrecking ball to your arguments simply because I have nothing better to do.

CrazyDiamond wrote:
I've finally found a somewhat challenging theory of God's existence. Now, you ravenous atheists, prove it wrong! Twisted Evil

Theodicy: Proof of the Existence of God

This is based on the presumption that anyone who doubts is imperfect. Who says that doubt is imperfect? Doubt means that you're actually thinking twice about something that may potentially be wrong. If anything, someone who shows doubt is more perfect than someone who doesn't show doubt, because it suggests a rational mind that is willing to think things out.

Even then, the argument I made is based on the presumption that a rational mind is more perfect than an irrational one that blindly follows something without any doubt at all.

Quote:

If point 1 is true, then point 2 must be false. If you have the idea of the perfect, that comes from a mind that point 1 states is imperfect. As your brain is imperfect, therefore the idea must not be a real idea, but a delusion and your imperfect mind must be deluded into thinking your "idea" is "perfect".

Quote:
3. The analysis of the idea of "the perfect" includes the existence of the perfect being (St. Anselm's arguments).

In regard to the attributes of God, the theory maintains that God alone is true substance; the divine veracity guarantees the validity of the clear and distinct ideas; granted the existence of God, the hypothesis of the spell of the malignant spirit falls.

In regard to the origin of ideas, the theory holds that:

2. Others are adventitious (determined through sensation);
3. Still others are fictitious.

Only innate ideas enjoy the guarantee of validity. Thus, the idea of a God is determined to be valid.

Yeah, I know we haven't much challenge disproving God lately, but this theory really baffles me. Anyone wanna give it a shot?

Frankly, I had a difficult time arguing against Point 2 because I had no idea what you were going on about. Point 3 is even harder to understand. Basically, I think we're going at this all wrong.

The fact that God exists is undeniable. The Bible and all these Christians are proof that some entity known as God, exists. No, the question we should be asking is, what kind of an entity is this God? Fact or fiction?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:13 am
Wolf,

You wrote:

"The fact that God exists is undeniable. The Bible and all these Christians are proof that some entity known as God, exists. No, the question we should be asking is, what kind of an entity is this God? Fact or fiction?"

I can agree with this argument with a couple of changes of wording.

The fact that the concept of God exists is undeniable. The Bible and all these Christians are proof that some concept known as God, exists. No, the question we should be asking is, what kind of concept is this God? One for which we have publically observable evidence of a physical nature or one which resides entirely in the mind of individuals.

This wording does not of course solve "the problem" because theists will argue that "evidence is all around us" but at least it gets away from a futile discussion of "existence".
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:32 am
agrote wrote:
CrazyDiamond wrote:

It seems like you've assumed already that a perfect being caused your existence, since you've said that, "I am imperfect, therefore I am not the cause of my existence," which implies that if you were the cause of your existence, you would be perfect.

I'd just like to make it clear that I didn't write this theory! I'm an atheist!
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:57 am
Quote:
If point 1 is true, then point 2 must be false. If you have the idea of the perfect, that comes from a mind that point 1 states is imperfect. As your brain is imperfect, therefore the idea must not be a real idea, but a delusion and your imperfect mind must be deluded into thinking your "idea" is "perfect".

Actually I don't think it has to do with delusions. The word perfect is the problem since noone has defined what it is yet. It is however, known that ideas can be put together to form newer ideas. Like, there is no unicorn, but we can think of a unicorn because we can think of a horse with a silver horn on its head. Our mind can be imperfect, but we can think of what we think to be perfect since we can think of hypothetical situations.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 03:56 pm
Hmm..Ray already made all the arguments I was prepared to make...
*bows out*
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 04:45 am
CrazyDiamond wrote:
agrote wrote:
CrazyDiamond wrote:

I had a sneaking suspicion that was the case when I read the last few sentences of your post, but you made it seem as if you came up with the idea.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:28 am
No, sorry. I should have made it a little more clear. Wink
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:32 am
So basically these theories are a bit like that one thing that says "matter cannot be created or destroyed"...only replace "matter" with "ideas". If the ideas weren't in some form from the begining then, they could never come into being.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 12:34 pm
CrazyDiamond wrote:
agrote wrote:
CrazyDiamond wrote:

Don't worry, I realise that. :wink:

Sorry, I didn't really mean "you," I meant "one" - one what basis can one assume that a perfect being caused one's existence?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 12:44 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Rolling Eyes

these reasons sound like someone threw a few five dollar words together to appear intelligent to someone..

proof of god?

wow, i thought you were an atheist. something you said, i don't know.

that's why I never liked you.

ok, now I like you!
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 01:04 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:
Rolling Eyes

proof of god?

wow, i thought you were an atheist. something you said, i don't know.

that's why I never liked you.

ok, now I like you!

You don't like people based on whether they believe in God or not?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 01:26 pm
shewolf and I have a very special relationship.

That's because, she's "special"

Shewolf - don't forget your helmet dear!

I don't think she likes me because I am a caucasian.
0 Replies