OMG!: Veteran broadcaster's remains 'stolen' for transplants

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 01:24 am
Very good. Well researched.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 06:51 am
Article from today's Age newspaper with a few more details & names of individuals & companies involved:

Shock letter from America:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/12/23/1135032187984.html?from=top5
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 07:20 am
That's some pretty macabre stuff, msolga. Are you going to read the book I recommended?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 03:59 pm
Remember the southern scandal several years ago with the undertaker who warehoused bodies rather than cremating them as promised?

Perhaps he was waiting for a buyer?

Having been involved in organ donation of family members I know the need for skin, tendons and bone is great. Well shaped jawbones are particularly valued for facial reconstruction.

There is a lot of paperwork involved in legal organ donation.

Dlowan--

How about:

"I want to live forever AND harvest all sorts of kudos for being in perilous shape AND keep on eating my sugar, fat, salt and polysyllabic additives in the quantities I enjoy."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 04:04 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
That's some pretty macabre stuff, msolga. Are you going to read the book I recommended?

Absolutely, Gus! You'd better watch out! Razz
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 08:49 pm
One of the characters in A Tale of Two Cities, Jeremy Crucher, was a "resurrection man," which is to say, a grave robbert--it was a night job, though, to supplement his day job working for Tellson's bank as a dogsbody. Used to tell his wife he was goin' fishin'--Dickens wryly notes that it was a not a version of that art (fishing) that Izzy Walton would have recognized.

I suspect Dickens had that case to which Gus referred in mind when he created the character.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 06:27 pm
Shocked Shocked

Patients given stolen body parts
Gerard Ryle
June 22, 2006/SMH

MEDICAL products made in the United States from stolen dead body parts have been brought to Australia and implanted into dozens of people.

Australia's medical watchdog, the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) was last night trying urgently to contact 46 patients through their doctors to warn them of the developments.

The move came after evidence was presented to the watchdog that the material made from stolen human body parts had arrived in Australia.

The agency's own inquiries had previously failed to uncover the truth about the importation.

Among the people whose body tissue was illegally taken from funeral homes in the US was legendary BBC broadcaster Alistair Cooke, who died in 2004.This contradicts US Food and Drug Administration recommendations that anyone who received the stolen tissue be tested for HIV, hepatitis C and syphilis.

The US watchdog determined that, in some instances, blood samples designed to ensure the tissue was disease-free had come from the wrong people.

In the US, recycling dead humans has become a billion-dollar business, according to documents submitted to regulatory authorities.

Hundreds of products derived from dead humans are now available. Gels made from human skin are injected to smooth wrinkles, puff up lips or even fatten penises. ... <cont>

]http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/06/21/1150845243659.html
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:28 pm
Sometimes "local angles" for a news story are very depressing.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 07:57 pm
They certainly can be, Noddy, though I was not exactly impressed with the story before, when it was just a US issue! Ugh! So unscruplulous & greedy!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 03:10 am
just making Msolga's link work:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/06/21/1150845243659.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 03:18 am
Oh, it wasn't working before?
Thanks, Deb!
0 Replies