Watching Threads without email notification

Dek

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 03:17 pm
as the topic says, is there anyway to watch threads without getting email notification? that way I can come in and click on a link and read all those threads I want to without getting spammed with email

thanks

deK
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,405 • Replies: 8
No top replies

mac11

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 03:21 pm
Everyone finds his or her own favorite way of navigating, Dek.

I don't use email notification at all. I usually start with "Your Posts" in the upper left corner. Then I look at "New Posts".

Play around, see what you like... Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 03:22 pm
Dek ~ if there's an easier way, I'm sure someone will offer the answer.....

The only way I know of is to open the thread, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on 'Stop watching this topic'.
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 03:23 pm
Macsm, yep I've tried those ways already, I just know that what I'm really looking for is what I've described, just don't want to die the death of spam Sad
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 03:26 pm
Rae, yep the problem with that is that the emails have already come in, I'm often too busy irl to read the post often enough to prevent the inevitable spam of emails that would result from a popular thread Sad
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 03:39 pm
The only other option would be to deselect 'Notify me when a reply is posted', every time you respond to a new thread.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 07:38 pm
SPAM is not email that you have solicited, therefore email notifications should not be called spam (this site does not support spam in any way).

Popular threads will not send you that much more in way of email. The updates only send you ONE email per watched topic until you visit the forum again.

But I hear ya, I don't like email updates. I used to have a feature here that allowed you to save topics to a list of "favorites" but it had an irritating bug. I will try to bring it back after I have completed A2K's upgrade.

Other ways you can do this is to:

A) Use your browser favorites (create a folder for A2K topics and bookmark to that folder).

B) post a reply to the topic and then you can find it under the "your posts" search.

I was actually looking into this issue about 20 minutes ago. I wrote a short script that would allow you to save your favorite topics to a cookie and another page would display the saved topics.

But that's the quick and dirty version of what I plan to implement. Ideally there will be a new feature that allows you to save your favorites to a database on our servers.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 07:58 pm
Told Letty I would do this when I saw you online, Craven.....

I got to hug Letty, Phoenx, Diane, Mapleleaf, Roger, urs and bigdice!

More than once, too!
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 03:09 am
Craven that would be perfect, just what I'm looking for

Many thanks
Dek
0 Replies