Alquitran

Pitter

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:40 pm
Here in Colombia you use "alquitran" to stain and preserve wood. Pretty basic, it comes as a cake of tar which you break up and empty into a gallon container to which you then add gasoline. The tar dissolves in about twenty four hours and there's your woodstain/wood preservative. A real joy to work with of course because it's thin as water and you're inhaling gasoline the whole time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,056 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:48 pm
Pitter- Don't the stores in your country have other kinds of stain products? If they don't, can't you buy something on the internet? Working with that stuff sounds dangerous to me. Who knows what it can do to a person's lungs!
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 06:19 pm
I've only used it outdoors with plenty of air but it's less than pleasant. No, that is the stain/preservative of choice. For one thing wood is not much used as a building material here (just look at the size of the termite nests in some of the trees) so there's not a lot available for working with it. Buying things over the internet hasn't really arrived here yet. I ordered a few books from Amazon once (awfully expensive) and they had to resend the order as the first attempt never arrived. The mail is well...you don't send photos in a letter addressed out of the country because the postal workers might think there are currency bills hidden between them and open the letter then throw it away.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 06:57 am
Quote:
The mail is well...you don't send photos in a letter addressed out of the country because the postal workers might think there are currency bills hidden between them and open the letter then throw it away.

Oh wow! It is amazing what people in the U.S. take for granted!
0 Replies