Feeling Free To Leave Christmas to Others

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:24 pm
That would be me, Momma Angel.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:29 pm
Now Gus, I just can't see you being grumpy and cursing the darkness all year!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:31 pm
You can't? Allow me to introduce myself. I am the God of Fire.

And I bring you................. fire.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:33 pm
http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/laughing1.gif
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:58 pm
A Christmas celebration still makes sense to me. It's right in the cold of winter. It gives us something to do and to look forward to during the winter. Lots of folks get depressed right now. Pretty lights, an excuse to get together, eat, give presents, etc. is nice.

On the other hand, it is depressing as hell to see how a lot of people go through the holidays. Zombie-like. Stupid cow faces all stressed out over ridiculous things. If you find yourself doing that, just give up already. Throw your hands up in the air, say F It! and don't buy presents. That outta bring the spirit back in no time.
Razz
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 12:01 am
My husband works at Wal-Mart. He is the Automotive Shop Manager. He hates the holiday season at Wal-Mart. He said everyone gets so grouchy. Seems we get farther and farther away from the Peace on Earth and Goodwill thing.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 08:32 am
roger wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
You mistake my meaning, Snood. I was not refering to Santa Claus, but the poor parent who is able to make the day beautiful for the kids. I don't know that I ever believed Santa was real, yet the very few great times I recall as a child centered around my Mom's efforts to give us a bit of beauty in an otherwise harsh and pitiless world. I would not trade these memories for the world, and I try to make the day special to others for the same kind of reason. There is entirely too much jaded sneering at the good parts of life in this world.

Wow! If you add to that, or take anything away, it would no longer be perfect.

I agree, Roger.

Lash wrote:
I had wanted to have a completely different kind of Christmas, but I gave in to the populist celebration, because I didn't want to impose my feelings on my kids.

Now that they are adults, we still exchange gifts, but I've cut back on the decorations.

When they were little, I thought we'd have real Christmases by experiencing spiritual celebrations, and the only giving we'd do would be to other people who needed things--people we didn't know--and we wouldn't let them know who had given to them.

We found out my father had been doing this after he died. Some people did know. I would have loved to have been strong enough to do that.

Still, I caved.

I find myself agreeing with you more and more, Lash. Each family makes it's own traditions, don't feel bad about yours. We over-celebrate Christmas to my liking here, but I try to do as much as I can, in the way of your father. My family, even Mr B, has no idea how much 'we' give to other people who are in need. I don't think he would object, but it's something I need to do for me as much as for them. It's my way of trying to make a difference.

Regardless of one's religious belief, the concept of "Peace on earth, goodwill toward men" can and should have universal appeal.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:01 am
Edgar asked:

Quote:
Who grumps all year around and curses the darkness?

Those who will not light one little candle.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 01:56 pm
Noddy,

That is a very wise statement.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:12 pm
When we can share with others, it enriches our lives. Oh, not the gift giving and the, "I bought you better than you bought me", nonsense. I mean the anonymous giving that you know will be appreciated by someone who has even less than we do.

The gifts for children who would otherwise receive nothing are truly special. As we put these items into the collection box in the stores we know that a child will have a better Christmas than they otherwise would have had. The donations to the local Food Banks, the helping out in whatever way you can. These are the true gifts of Christmas.

My wife and I have not bought each other gifts for years. We buy for the children in our care, but those are the only gifts that we keep in the household. The children make a point of giving to a child that they may not even know. They realize the importance of this and we are proud of them for it.

It used to be that we all received the big gifts that we didn't even need and looked forward to receiving them. Those gifts were only temporal and did not fulfill us. I doubt that we could even remembe what most of them were.

Goodwil to men and Peace on Earth are something that we should strive for all year long. At this time of year that some of us refer to as Christmas and others as just the holidays or the Winter Soltice or whatever it is important to remember our fellow man.

Nobody has to know what is being done and that is the best part. Making a flash of putting money in a kettle somewhere is one thing, but doing something for real people behind the scenes is quite another.

Hundreds of lights adorning the house when others are going hungry is a sad thing.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:20 pm
Intrepid Wrote:

Quote:
Hundreds of lights adorning the house when others are going hungry is a sad thing.

This really hit me hard, Intrepid. Here in Jonesboro/Hodge they like to say at Christmas you see a million lights. It's probably true. The whole town (all the stores downtown and neighboring homes) string every kind of light you can think of.

Then, you drive by the Katrina evacuee center here. You see children in yards with no coats in cold weather. You see children with no shoes. I can't help but think that the money being spent on electricity for the million lights could feed, clothe, home, and take care of so many.

As a matter of fact, I think something needs to be done about that. Thank you for pointing that out, Intrepid. It blessed me today.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:26 pm
I used to have each of the children choose a child from the "Angel Tree" at the mall. It usually lists interests, needs and sizes.

They would buy for the child, and I would get something for the adults (parents/foster parents/ or agency) o let them know they are appreciated as well.

We haven't had an "Angel Tree in the main mall here for a couple of years. I wonder what happened to it....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:28 pm
Momma Angel--

"Better to light one candle than to curse the darkness," is a Chinese proverb. I can't take credit for the sentiment.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:30 pm
Well Noddy, you were wise enough to post it! :wink:

squinney,

Maybe you could start the Angel tree up again? :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:32 pm
Momma Angel--

A man of words and not of deeds
Is like a garden full of weeds.

I expect this applies to wordy women as well.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:34 pm
Noddy,

You are too modest, girl. I often find that one of your well placed phrases says volumes to me, whereas a wordy post says little.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 04:44 pm
Does anyone know what it means when a thread you start has the word "Featured:" in front of it?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:10 pm
It means that you have hit the big time :-)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:38 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
What do you mean, the thoughtful abstain? The ones who like Christmas can't be thoughtful?
Sorry I missed your post, edgar.

I know you think you understand what you believe I posted, but I am not sure you realize that what I posted may not have been what I intended to say.

What I intended to say was that thinking Christians would not have any part of a pagan ritual containing practices God condemns. Saying that we have 'christianized' or somehow cleansed them with our good intent really won't cut it with God.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 09:15 am
Looking back through the thread, I agree with snood about santa clause which is why I told my kids fairly early the whole thing was made up, they didn't seem too surprised. I also don't think of it as a religious holiday since I personally believe that if Jesus wanted us to celebrate his birthday he would have told us to. However, it is a nice holiday for gathering with friends and family but like others I wish we didn't have to beggar ourselves for it.

I say we get rid of christmas cards too while we are at it. It's annoying in the extreme to get all these cards from everyone you see everyday (or quite often in most cases) and its just cluttery, not to mention expensive sending them all out in return.

(just joking sort of on the last part)
0 Replies