'Anti-Globalization protests'

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 11:48 am
Anti-Globalisation protesters tear-gassed at Hong Kong trade talks
By Min Lee in Hong Kong
Published: 18 December 2005

Hundreds of protesters broke through police lines and came close to storming into a meeting of the World Trade Organisation in Hong Kong yesterday before security forces scattered the crowd with tear gas.

In the worst street violence the city has experienced in decades, police locked the doors to the convention centre, where trade ministers from around the world were in the final hours of a six-day round of negotiations. Police said 41 people were injured, but only two needed hospital treatment. The authorities detained 900 people and were deciding whether to make formal arrests.

Security forces spent much of the afternoon fighting street battles with the protesters, who included South Korean farmers as well as activists from Europe and America.

The protesters, demonstrating against the WTO's efforts to open up global markets, hit police with bamboo sticks and used a metal barrier to ram a line of officers armed with riot shields. The police fought back with clubs, pepper spray and cannons that shot water mixed with a chemical that burns the skin and eyes.

The tear gas dispersed the protesters and the police were able to retake the area around the convention centre. The demonstrators then started a sit-in, shutting down one of Hong Kong's busiest streets.

Inside the WTO venue, there was chaos when a rumour spread that the protesters had entered the building. Security guards at the entrance fled upstairs, leaving the checkpoint unmanned.

Hundreds of protesters broke through police lines and came close to storming into a meeting of the World Trade Organisation in Hong Kong yesterday before security forces scattered the crowd with tear gas.

In the worst street violence the city has experienced in decades, police locked the doors to the convention centre, where trade ministers from around the world were in the final hours of a six-day round of negotiations. Police said 41 people were injured, but only two needed hospital treatment. The authorities detained 900 people and were deciding whether to make formal arrests.

Security forces spent much of the afternoon fighting street battles with the protesters, who included South Korean farmers as well as activists from Europe and America.

The protesters, demonstrating against the WTO's efforts to open up global markets, hit police with bamboo sticks and used a metal barrier to ram a line of officers armed with riot shields. The police fought back with clubs, pepper spray and cannons that shot water mixed with a chemical that burns the skin and eyes.

The tear gas dispersed the protesters and the police were able to retake the area around the convention centre. The demonstrators then started a sit-in, shutting down one of Hong Kong's busiest streets.

Inside the WTO venue, there was chaos when a rumour spread that the protesters had entered the building. Security guards at the entrance fled upstairs, leaving the checkpoint unmanned.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 612 • Replies: 9
No top replies

echi

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:34 am
Yeah, corporate globalization is definitely the most ominous threat facing all life forms on planet Earth. But these violent protesters, I think, are pretty short-sited.
It's good to blow off some steam once in a while, but when these "freedom fighters" fly off the handle, starting riots with cops and destroying anything in their path that looks even vaguely corporate, it only serves the elites by giving them easy news reports to smear in their favor.
Those who have brains use words to make their points. Those who don't resort to the same militaristic mindset that they claim to so fervently oppose.
I hate corporate power; it's the antichrist. And I hate almost as much, that there are so many people on "my side" who don't realize (probably because they're strung-out) that their fantasy "revolution" is only fuel for the enemy.
Write letters. Take out full-page ads in newspapers. Go on-line. Use billboards, the radio, tv. Or get out there and keep your cool and organize peacefully. (Don't tell me it's the cops' who start it. The cops never incited Gandhi or MLK to violence.)
We don't need any more people getting killed just to promote their corporate agenda of global domination. Think about it.
I love you guys, truly, but grow-up.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:17 am
Echi thanks for that reply, Would they not argue that doing the thinsg your suggesting is falling victim to the parameters of the corporate model?

Meaning the so called system is forcing people to engage in 'futile activities'

Im just playing 'advocate' here I do agree with what your saying about mindless violence.

Would you agree that those people who do that are a fringe of the main protest such as hardcore anarchists?? who are not gonna listen to man or beast.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:34 am
I know that most demonstrators have peaceful intentions, but they don't do enough to separate themselves from the "fringe". And I understand the mindset of these groups who believe they are acting in self-defense of the planet, but I don't think they are seeing the bigger picture. I truly think they live in a fantasy bubble where they imagine that they are doing good deeds.
Most of these people are kids who don't have a very good grasp of how the world works. I consider myself an anarchist. I'm not coming at this from some moderate Democrat angle. If these police battles had a positive, consciousness-raising effect, then I would be supportive (as I was several years ago when all this was not so clear).
But, not surprisingly, the corporate media have adapted and are winning the media war. Meanwhile, these "fringe" groups continue to act out their frustrations in ways that are counterproductive, and with little regard for how they affect the larger anti-corporate globalization movement. I believe in their cause. I just think they are irresponsible.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 04:47 pm
Thanks for your reply and its good to communicate with someone that doesnt have saw dust for brains.
Very Happy

I am very fascinated by your poltical leanings (if I can call them that) I wouldnt describe myself as an anarchist.
But tell me, how do you bring about change using a system that is designed to impede and ultimately stop you from effecting any real change in the world??

What would you envisage as an important goal? What I mean is what would you class as a sucessful outcome in the future to aim for??
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:10 pm
stevewonder wrote:
Thanks for your reply and its good to communicate with someone that doesnt have saw dust for brains.
Very Happy

I am very fascinated by your poltical leanings (if I can call them that) I wouldnt describe myself as an anarchist.
But tell me, how do you bring about change using a system that is designed to impede and ultimately stop you from effecting any real change in the world??

What would you envisage as an important goal? What I mean is what would you class as a sucessful outcome in the future to aim for??

(I'm also interested in knowing what you think, BTW.)

First of all, you don't attack corporate power when you attack a CEO or a stockholder; they are people just like anyone else (when they die, another person will fill those shoes). It is corporate power, itself, that is the target, not the unwitting representatives.
Personally, over the past couple of years, I have become a lot less political and a lot more spiritual; less demanding and more diplomatic (I was gonna' say "understanding", but only because it rhymes and I'm feeling a little like Jesse Jackson).
My understanding of what is wrong with the world, politically, has not changed much, at all. What has changed is my appreciation for people's differences of opinion. I know, now, that I can't change everyone's mind just by telling them the truth. I have tried that countless times with countless people, and the effects have been tiny. And I know that if they don't get it through respectful conversation, they sure won't get it by me throwing a brick through their window.
I think that kind of behavior only helps to define us (we who oppose corporate power) as a class of criminals. The more we are seen in that light, the easier it is to lock us up or kill us. So we give away our power when we lash out like that.
My solution for the future, as I mentioned earlier, is simple diplomacy. No ground will be gained by disrespecting others' opinions. No matter how idiotic they may seem, people form their opinions for reasons. The best we can do is bridge the gaps between us by explaining our beliefs to those who disagree, and by asking them to do the same for us.
To go a bit deeper into it, I see the liberal/conservative divide as a huge obstacle. I don't think either is better than the other, on the whole. It's unfortunate that we have this kind of system in which people feel pressured to adopt and defend one of these two ideologies. Since IMO they are both badly flawed, it makes for a pretty unhealthy and even deceitful political culture.
Anyway, I don't know if answered your questions, but they're probably buried in there, somewhere.
One thing is for sure, though. If corporate power continues on its current path, it will destroy us.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 07:51 pm
Do you know you took the word right out of my mouth!!
Trying to explain to many people about 'truths' is very difficult, some people appear to have thier faculty to think removed.

I think you are correct on your other points, public opinion and access to information quicker and easier has made the life of corporate king pins more diffcult.

the Iraq war has been a splendid example of this, the Warmongers and corprate players have been running but have foun nowhere to hide.

Its ben enjoyable just seeing them squirm when reality hits them between the eyes.

I sometimes think that had it not been for ease of information access and courageous journalists these lunatics would be doing alot worse.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 02:34 am
Wow. I don't see where I said anything about quicker and easier access to information. Maybe you were just reading my mind.

-BTW...That reminds me...Did you know that there really is mind-reading technology being developed? Of course, if a guy like me has heard about it, that means it's probably in widespread use already. (I swear I'm not making this up.)
The idea is based on interpreting the involuntary muscle movements of the part of the throat that's associated with speaking. I guess it's like the muscles getting ready in case we decide to start talking. I imagine as similar to the way people sometimes move their tongue when they read silently.
I'm not sure how the movement is detected. I think it's done with a laser beam...kinda like how a cd player works. Anyway, I'm not paranoid about it. I just think it's interesting.

Back to the program...
I was really skeptical about the internet, at first. But now I see that it has become something that could potentially be of enormous benefit to humanity. Well, I suppose it has already, hasn't it? The amount of unfiltered information that is available to almost anyone in the world is astounding. It may sound corny, and maybe I am a little sleepy, but the internet gives me real hope that in the near future (while we still have a future) enough people will learn what we need to learn in order to turn this corporate beast on its head.
There. I don't sound too crazy, do I?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 02:40 am
Iv'e been to alot of protest and these WTO things get ugly.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 06:57 pm
This revolution will not be televised!

I think the internet is amazing in its unleasing the freedom of information within seconds, that cant be good for the powers that be.

I think they preffer that everything is under their nose than out of it.
0 Replies