The Winter Solstice - let your light shine

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 11:07 am
Quote:
On Wednesday, December 21, the Sun enters Capricorn as the Winter Solstice heralds the coming of the light. The ancients advised turning inward on this day in a meditative fashion, creating an inner sanctum as a foundation for the season of introspection and retreat. Many traditions honor the Solstice by lighting a candle while envisioning your intentions for the upcoming year. Are you ready to be reborn? While the weather outside may be frightful, on the inside, it's a time for warmth and spiritual renewal. Savor the stillness on the longest night, and make your spirits bright. Welcome to winter!

this year, Diwali, Eid, Channukah, Christmas and the winter solstice fall very close together

Quote:
Diwali, Lighting The Lamps
{ Introduction to Diwali }

Every Year On the dark nights of Diwali the sound of firecrackers announces the celebration of the favourite festival of Indians. Homes are decorated, sweets are distributed by everyone and thousands of lamps lit to create a world of fantasy. Of all the festivals celebrated in India, Diwali is by far the most glamorous and important. Enthusiastically enjoyed by people of every religion, its magical and radiant touch creates an atmosphere of joy and festivity. Diwali Celebrations in India are similar to Christmas celebrations in the USA.
{ Origin of Diwali }

The ancient story of how Diwali evolved into such a widely celebrated festival is different in various regions and states of India. In the north, particularly in Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Bihar and the surrounding areas, Diwali is the day when King Rama's coronation was celebrated in Ayodhya after his epic war with Ravana, the demon king of Lanka. By order of the royal families of Ayodhya and Mithila, the kingdom of which Sita was princess, the cities and far-flung boundaries of these kingdoms were lit up with rows of lamps, glittering on dark nights to welcome home the divine king Rama and his queen Sita after 14 years of exile, ending with an across-the-seas war in which the whole of the kingdom of Lanka was destroyed.
Diwali

Quote:
Eid ul-Fitr (Arabic: عيد الفطر), often abbreviated as simply Eid, is an Islamic holiday that marks the end of Ramadan, the month of fasting. Fitr means "to break" and therefore symbolizes the breaking of the fasting period and of all evil habits. On the day of the celebration, a typical Muslim family gets up very early and attends special prayers held only for the occasion in big mosques, in large open areas, stadiums or arenas. The festivities and merriment start after the prayers with visits to the homes of friends and relatives and thanking the Creator for all blessings. Eid is a time to come together as a community and to renew friendship and family ties. This is a time for peace for all Muslims in the world to devote to prayers and mutual well-being.

It's a joyous occasion with important religious significance. Happiness is observed at attaining spiritual uplift after a month of fasting. Muslims dress in holiday attire. After attending the special congregational prayer in the morning, worshippers greet and embrace each other in a spirit of peace, love, and brotherhood. Visiting friends and relatives is common.
wiki

How will you let your light shine on the longest night of the year?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,226 • Replies: 37
No top replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 11:36 am
I can't really say I'll be doing anything special but howzabout you, ehBeth, what will you be up to?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 04:37 pm
Summer solstice here.....
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 04:46 pm
I will be attending the annual Kielbasa Orgy,
which culminates in the ceremonial Lighting of the Farts.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 04:50 pm
George wrote:

Hmmm, apparently that's not the all girl festival I'd always dreamt of.

Howdy Ms D. So how will you be spending your solstice? My tip, avoid Cronulla.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 05:00 pm
Girls like annual Kielbasa Orgy.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 05:04 pm
Oh to be a fly in the ointment.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 05:05 pm
BlaiseDaley wrote:
George wrote:

Hmmm, apparently that's not the all girl festival I'd always dreamt of.

Howdy Ms D. So how will you be spending your solstice? My tip, avoid Cronulla.

I am a looooooong way from Cronulla. Half a continent away.

I shall be in Mt Gambier.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 05:07 pm
Are you Melbourne or Adelaide, I forget? So what's up at the Mt.?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 05:11 pm
Adelaide.

What's up at the Mount?

Well, the mountain to start with.

But...one of my friends wot I usually spend Christmas with had a double mastectomy this year, at the same time as her mum had to go into a nursing home. She comes from Mt Gambier.

So.......she promised her mum she would spend christmas with her, but this means being with her toxic brother and his toxicer wife....so I am going down as a support and protector.

Also, it is very pretty down there, and we shall have fun, when not being poisoned by her rellies.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 05:19 pm
Well perhaps she can see her brother but not necessarily be with her brother. Do they know not to provoke the bunny?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 05:21 pm
I'm still thinking about Wednesday.

I've never done a separate solstice event of my own. Trying to figure what I can legally light - and where to do it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 06:36 pm
http://www.forty-two.co.nz/creations/design_images/cc67.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 06:39 pm
Oh, I hadn't realized that Blaise had an outfit change - nice hat.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 06:42 pm
BlaiseDaley wrote:
Well perhaps she can see her brother but not necessarily be with her brother. Do they know not to provoke the bunny?

Nah, full christmas catastrophe will be expected.

It's kind of intriguing. I haven't met the brother and wife. Other people's 'orrid relatives are ok to meet, you don't have to live with their reality.

(They don't know I am a Bunny....I use a human suit for some events.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 06:45 pm
Beth - I've often wondered how to make an event of it. Besides getting on the inside of the locked-doors of the Green Street Grille, I dunno how to celebrate.

Maybe a little bon fire? How about the aspect of the new year? Burn the old year? Dontcha have a fireplace?
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 07:15 pm
dlowan wrote:
BlaiseDaley wrote:

Nah, full christmas catastrophe will be expected.

It's kind of intriguing. I haven't met the brother and wife. Other people's 'orrid relatives are ok to meet, you don't have to live with their reality.

(They don't know I am a Bunny....I use a human suit for some events.)

Christmas Meltdown at Mt. Gambier, film at ten. Take lots of notes.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 07:49 pm
This year I'm a guest in a household of the conventional. If I can inconspicuously light a candle, I'll do so. Since I have plenty of privacy and room for introspection, I will do so.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:27 pm
Noddy - why do you have so much privacy?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:28 pm
It's also Day in the Life "photography"
0 Replies