When is a cult no longer cult??

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 03:16 pm
When does a cult become a religion??

When Christianity started out was it a cult??

How many followers do you need to become a religion??

Are Jehovahs witnessess and Mormons cults?? even though they have millions of followers???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,464 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 03:28 pm
Lets see what dictionary.com has to say....
Quote:

cult ( P ) Pronunciation Key (klt)
n.

1. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
2. The followers of such a religion or sect.
2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
1. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
2. The object of such devotion.
6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

Modern christianity arguably fits all 6 of these criteria. The line between a cult and a religion is arbitrary, but it is generally one of perception and interpretation.
'cult'=bad
'religion'=good
The real question is who get's to do the interpreting between what constitutes 'bad' and 'good', I supose...
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 04:54 pm
I am thinking...

that more than likely a 'religion' is that which one is a member of,
and so then all others are 'cults.'

Since I am not a member of any religion, the way I see it they are all cults.

That's why I never drink kool-aid with people I don't know.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 07:29 pm
To me, a cult is not based on Jesus Christ, but something or someone else. Don't shoot me! You asked!http://www.smileys.ws/smls/sport/00000056.gif
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 07:36 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
To me, a cult is not based on Jesus Christ, but something or someone else. Don't shoot me! You asked!http://www.smileys.ws/smls/sport/00000056.gif

Heh.
You're so cute.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 07:52 pm
A religion consists of people who believe the same things you do.

A cult is made up of people who believe something else.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 08:00 pm
So far everyone, in their own way, has said the exact same thing I did in my initial reply. I like how MA worded it best, though Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 08:49 pm
Doktor S wrote:
So far everyone, in their own way, has said the exact same thing I did in my initial reply. I like how MA worded it best, though Smile

Thank you!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/blushing.gif
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 09:12 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

Not sure if I understand you right..............

A cult is NOT based of Jesus christ??
is that just for christian affiliates??

Moromon and Jehovahs witness are based on Jesus Christ so they are not cults?? is that right?

Momma maybe you can elaborate abit more........????
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 09:16 pm
She is saying christianity is the one true religion and the rest are cults. It's a pure christian perspective, so innocent I just want to pinch her cheek...
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 09:25 pm
Doktor S wrote:
She is saying christianity is the one true religion and the rest are cults. It's a pure christian perspective, so innocent I just want to pinch her cheek...

but dok thats what I am trying to figure out, as a thiest her defintion of a cult is something not based on Christ does that mean she thinks mormons and Jehovahs witinesses are not cults since many Christians say they are and is she then saying Judaism , Buddhaism and Hinduism that have millions of followers and have been around before Jesus are all cults??

Is that what your saying Momma??
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 09:30 pm
stevewonder,

Basically, yes. I'm a Christian, remember? So, of course, if a religion is not based on Christ, I believe it is based on a false god/doctrine.

Now, please don't take offense, stevewonder. I am not like those Christians that say Mormons and others are cults. Also, I think what every person believes is between them and God. I just have different beliefs than some.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:21 pm
a cult in no longer a cult when you add ure to it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:43 pm
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
a cult in no longer a cult when you add ure to it.

http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/laughing1.gif
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 01:05 am
queen annie wrote:
I am thinking...

that more than likely a 'religion' is that which one is a member of,
and so then all others are 'cults.'

Since I am not a member of any religion, the way I see it they are all cults.

That's why I never drink kool-aid with people I don't know.
Good idea!

Brewski? http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/cheers.gif
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 02:37 am
How about...

got a Fresca? Or some organic moo juice?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 10:30 am
L. Ron Hubbard and starting a religion for money
I've cited the Scientology "religion" only as a modern day example. All religions are started to gain and retain power and/or wealth. ---BBB

L. Ron Hubbard and starting a religion for money

While the often-cited rumor that Hubbard made a bar bet with Robert A. Heinlein that he could start a cult is almost certainly false, others have claimed direct knowledge that during 1949 Hubbard did make statements to other people that starting a religion would be a good way to make money.

Writer and publisher Lloyd Arthur Eshbach, for example, reported Hubbard saying "I'd like to start a religion. That's where the money is." Writer Theodore Sturgeon reported that Hubbard made a similar statement at the Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society. Likewise, writer Sam Moskowitz reported in an affidavit that during an Eastern Science Fiction Association meeting, Hubbard had said "You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion."

The Church of Scientology denies that Hubbard ever made any such statement, and has sued at least one publisher, the German magazine Stern, for publishing claims that he did (Stern won the lawsuit). Members hold that the truth or falsity of such claims is irrelevant in judging whether the church meets their spiritual needs.

The following letter, written by L. Ron Hubbard, was discovered by the FBI during its raid on Scientology headquarters. The letter shows Hubbard turned Scientology into a "religion" for financial reasons:

(1953)

DEAR HELEN

10 APRIL

RE CLINIC, HAS
The arrangements that have been made seem a good temporary measure. On a longer look, however, something more equitable will have to be organized. I am not quite sure what we would call the place - probably not a clinic - but I am sure that it ought to be a company, independent of the HAS but fed by the HAS. We don't want a clinic. We want one in operation but not in name. Perhaps we could call it a Spiritual Guidance Center. Think up its name, will you. And we could put in nice desks and our boys in neat blue with diplomas on the walls and 1. knock psychotherapy into history and 2. make enough money to shine up my operating scope and 3. keep the HAS solvent. It is a problem of practical business. I await your reaction on the religion angle. In my opinion, we couldn't get worse public opinion than we have had or have less customers with what we've got to sell. A religious charter would be necessary in Pennsylvania or NJ to make it stick. But I sure could make it stick. We're treating the present time beingness, psychotherapy treats the past and the brain. And brother, that's religion, not mental science.

Best Regards,

Ron
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 01:47 pm
Christianity was not started to gain power and/or wealth. Jesus did not speak of gaining power or wealth on earth. The only wealth He talked about was rewards in heaven.

What kind of church do you go to, BTW?
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 01:57 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Christianity was not started to gain power and/or wealth. Jesus did not speak of gaining power or wealth on earth. The only wealth He talked about was rewards in heaven.

What kind of church do you go to, BTW?

so all those tele-evangelists in flash cars and mansions swindling people on telethons in the name of Christ they not nto materialism??

lol

Its funny how Christians talk about the abstinence of Christ and wallow in the luxuries of the world.

Momma would you agree fat cat Tele-evangelists are false -prophets??
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 02:01 pm
stevewonder,

I was addressing the fact she said religions were started for that reason.

I would say some are and some aren't. I think it's up to each one of us individually to find those kinds of things out, don't you?
0 Replies