The Beatles.

kuvasz

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:44 am
The Beatles.

http://mc.clintock.com/first_floor/living_room/sun_porch/cabinet_built-in/audio_cds/ICON-images/beatles_-_rubber_soul.jpg

http://www.eszlinger.com/beatles/beatles%20images/beatles%20images/Beatles%20-%20Abbey%20Road.jpg

Recently I stumbled onto a blog that was responding to this statement:

Quote:
Well, I can't say that I ever dug the Beatles too much. In context, I can appreciate them, but like I say, you can't "rock out" to context. And all in all, I'm more or less indifferent to listening to their albums, which are fine, but meaningless to me.

To which the blogster responded:

http://steveaudio.blogspot.com/2005/12/if-theres-anything-that-you-want-if.html

Quote:
All I can say, respectfully, is 'kids today!' Debating this will, to some, permanently place me in the camp of "old dude who doesn't get it." Well, kids, as someone who spends every day either in recording studios, or working with engineers and producers who also spend every day in studios, let me 'esplain' that, in the warm reality of modern music, you don't get it. Here's why.

The Beatles, in terms of rock (pop, whatever) music, changed everything.
[/b]

I could not agree more. And as one poster said,

Quote:
Ten years before the Beatles, the highest-selling musical artist in the world was Bing Crosby
Ten years after, it was Led Zeppelin.

Being indifferent to the Beatles music and what effect they had on modern music and popular culture is like saying you are indifferent to the sun.

When a Beatles song comes on the radio you want to get up and dance.

Their run of music from 1964-69 was unbelievable in breadth of songwriting, musicianship, styles, growth, and innovations. You can not listen to one or two or even five Beatles songs and claim that they are "typical Beatle" songs because of their artistic growth.

I bet that the last time you heard a Beatle's song that came over the radio you sang along with it in your head, tapping your foot , and the next time you hear one you will again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,963 • Replies: 28
No top replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:47 am
Who is that hot chick in the front?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:57 am
I love the Beatles, but I don't really listen to them much any more. Understanding them in an historical context is fine, but how many of their songs and/or albums really hold your attention?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 02:07 am
I used to love the Beatles. But, slowly, something about Paul irritated my brain to the point where I can no longer tolerate any of it.
(But I agree, the songs are infectious.)
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 03:14 am
DrewDad wrote:
I love the Beatles, but I don't really listen to them much any more. Understanding them in an historical context is fine, but how many of their songs and/or albums really hold your attention?

you've got to be kidding:

the rocking joy, enthusiasm, and harmonies of:

Love Me Do,
Please, Please Me
Do You Want To Know A Secret
I Want To Hold Your Hand
She loves you
All My Loving,
A Hard Day's Night,
If I fell,
I Should Have Known Better,
Tell Me Why,
Can't Buy Me Love,
And I Love Her.
I'm A Loser
Eight Days A Week
the reverb opening of I Feel Fine (and killer harmonies)
Help,
The Night Before
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away,
I Need You
Ticket To Ride.
I've Just Seen a Face
Yesterday (most popular song played on the radio in history)

the more complicated lyrics and styles from Rubber Soul and Revolver onward that transformed rock albums into entire pieces of art from earlier forms of simple compellations of singles hits

Norwegian Wood
Nowhere Man,
If I Needed Someone
Michelle
In My life.
Tomorrow Never Knows.
Eleanor Rigby
And Your Bird Can Sing

the innovations of:

Sgt Pepper..regarded as the most influential rock album in history

Sgt Pepper
A Day In The Life......might want to listen again to that one
Little Help from My Friends,
Lucy In The Skies With Diamonds

Magical Mystery Tour

Strawberry Fields
All You Need Is Love
Penny Lane

the White Album! And its revolutionary approach.

and Abbey Road's

Here Comes The Sun
Come Together,
Something.

Let It Be.

The Beatles put out the following SEVEN albums:

Hard Day's Night, Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, White Album, and Abbey Road

Whole music careers are built on a single album less accomplished than any of those seven.

No one has that dense of quality a discography, in such a short span of time and with such an arc of growthÂ…. Six years

I suggest you put on any of those seven and reacquaint yourself with them.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 03:23 am
Never have four band members' talents so perfectly complimented each other. The Beatles were incredible.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:31 am
Without a doubt, the most awesome group of the 20th Century. There was nothing quite like them before them. There has been nothing since their time that can come close to touching their greatness. Immediately, there were wannabes (e.g. the Rolling Stones). But all the wannabes could do was immitate, they could never equal. Lennon-McCartney songs have all become "standards." They are now played by jazz combos and by classical musicians. I recently heard YoYo Ma do a riff on "Norwegian Wood."

Anyone who can't appreciate the Beatles, can't appreciate first-rate music. And any young person who invokes the 'grandfather clause' and claims that this music is, somehow, old hat is merely admitting that he/she doesn't really understand anything about music and is only interested in what's the 'in' thing today. These people are largely terrified of being thought of as not up-to-date, hip and with it. Horseshit. That's just ignorance.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:43 am
Merry Andrew wrote:

Anyone who can't appreciate the Beatles, can't appreciate first-rate music. And any young person who invokes the 'grandfather clause' and claims that this music is, somehow, old hat is merely admitting that he/she doesn't really understand anything about music and is only interested in what's the 'in' thing today.

I like a lot of the Beatles songs, especially Hey Jude, and I have a lot of respect for John Lennon and his political views, and his music, even though the Beatles are before my time. But hey, it's all about what you like. Many would argue the same thing about Elvis, I wouldn't! Personally, I think the Beatles were great, and Pink Floyed was/is rite up there and under appreciated. There's enough greatness to go around. And you can still have greatness in music today. It wasn't a one shot deal that only the Beatles got to enjoy.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 07:28 am
The Beatles were the ****, period.

Before the Beatles I got sent home from school on a regular basis for having a big Elvis Ducktail pomp, with "waterfall", and my collar up.

Then I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan and went straight to the bathroom, washed all the brylcreme out of my hair, and the next day I got suspended for having my hair hanging in my face and over my ears. Mr. Milam the assistant principal had two of the jock pukes hold me in a chair and he cut my hair with pinking shears. When I called him a son of a bitch he hit me and that's when I was invited to take a week off.

I spent it listening to The Beatles. 40 years later the jock pukes hang out at sports bars drinking beer with their big bellies hanging over the stool, their glory days long behind them as they work their "regular" dull jobs, I'm slim and trim and still actually playing music and Mr. Milam is dead.

Thank you Beatles, for a happy beginning and a happy ending.
0 Replies

Punkjab

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:32 am
roverroad wrote:
Who is that hot chick in the front?

HAHA! Nice one buddy But yes, my total respect goes out to the beatles. I've only heard a few of their songs, but that's enough to make me understand that they were the twist in the plot that made rock music happen.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:13 pm
I love the Beatles. They are part of the fiber of my being, having been born in 1968. I only own a couple beatles albums (and one of them is 1, which is new). But, I know the words to almost all of their songs. I tear up every single time I listen to some of them - that's powerful. I'm not one to get misty eyed.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:46 pm
Sure, the Beatles were a great pop band. But christ, even Lennon got burned out on them. Like I said, I used to love the Beatles. LOVE them. But, I don't know, listening to them now, it's like putting too much sugar in my coffee.
But, to be fair, I hardly listen to any rock or pop, anymore.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 03:00 pm
Jane Eyre and Frankenstein were genre changing, too, but I don't read 'em for enjoyment.

Tastes change.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 04:30 pm
1963 at the Lyris Theater in London

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/4586/clipboard18sb.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

This is taken a couple of years later

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/5320/clipboard15su.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

I like especially this photo from an exhibition in the Halle (Germany) Beatle's Museum

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/3343/clipboard31jc.jpg
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:54 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Jane Eyre and Frankenstein were genre changing, too, but I don't read 'em for enjoyment.

Tastes change.

That's true enough but, on the other hand, both works still get remade to this very day. Having said that there are some songs that are too saccharine for sure but songs like Glass Onion, Hey Bulldog, the Eastern tinges to George's guitar on Taxman, the prescience of Cry, Baby, Cry and Tomorrow Never Knows could very easily be something that popped up on a Chemical Brothers cd. The things that were packed into a three minute song were forever changed with the Beatles.

Nice pics, WH.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:12 pm
Oh, and by the way, Paul bugs the hell out of me too.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:24 pm
Paul's become a pimple on the butt of humanity but his bass lines with the Beatles were pretty sweet... led me to pick up playing the darn thing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:29 pm
you mean, he wasn't always so so.... so weeny-ish?
0 Replies