How far into the past can we look? (when looking at stars)

ReX

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 05:14 pm
Can we look at the beginning of the universe?
Because, time-space was UNFOLDING in the beginning (and perhaps still),
so how can this be?

Or am I remembering the basic concept of 'looking into the past' wrong?

The further we see, the more into the past, no?
Therefor, if we were somehow able to see to a very distant point, this would mean a point near the beginning of existence hence when time-space was just tiny and unfolding.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,627 • Replies: 35
No top replies

spendius

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:12 pm
Yes.But before that it was very tiny and had only just begun to unfold.And before that it was very,very tiny and had only just begun to unfold and before that it was very,very,very tiny and had only just.....hey.Knock it off mate.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:20 pm
Spendius, Stop it, you're making me dizzy!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:38 pm
On a clear day, you can see forever.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:40 pm
To the extent of current observational capabilities, the universe appears to be approximately 14 Billon years old. This estimate derives from the study of the doppler shift of electromagnetic radiation from the most distantly known objects, and is corroborated by the study of the phenomenon known as Cosmic Background Radiation.

Interestingly, the term "Big Bang" was coined by Fred Hoyle, as a term of dismissive derision; he was the leading proponent of the now-discarded "steady state" hypothesis.

Of interest to those of less than science-geek persuasion, the following is an excellently written, very accessible, engaging book outlining the current state of knowledge regarding the birth of the universe:

The First Three Minutes - A Modern View of the Origin of the Universe: Weinberg, S.
(1989 - 2nd ed: 1993) Basic Books, NY NY
ISBN: 0465024378
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:41 pm
That's very true.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:44 pm
timberlandko wrote:

Of interest to those of less than science-geek persuasion, the following is an excellently written, very accessible, engaging book outlining the current state of knowledge regarding the birth of the universe:

The First Three Minutes - A Modern View of the Origin of the Universe: Weinberg, S.
(1989 - 2nd ed: 1993) Basic Books, NY NY
ISBN: 0465024378

Thanks for the reference, it sounds very interesting.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:50 pm
Fred was talking about the event which brought the universe into his consciousness.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:59 pm
Actually, as far as "Seeing into the past", we pretty much hit a brick wall with the Planck Epoch.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 07:28 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Actually, as far as "Seeing into the past", we pretty much hit a brick wall with the Planck Epoch.

I thought you were suppose to be keeping it simple!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:20 pm
According to Hawking, the light cone will be bent inwards towards a singularity, which is the farthest one could possibly look into past. This would be the beginning of the universe / big bang.

Quote:
To the extent of current observational capabilities, the universe appears to be approximately 14 Billon years old. This estimate derives from the study of the doppler shift of electromagnetic radiation from the most distantly known objects, and is corroborated by the study of the phenomenon known as Cosmic Background Radiation.

Yeah, sure, but we have no evidence supporting the claim that there is only one "universe" in space. I personally find the concept of a single Big Bang ridiculous when in an infinite volume, and I believe that there may be many universes created by their own Big Bang's that are simply far out of reach of our own universe.

It's not like the 1 universe model makes perfect sense anyway, under that theory all the matter should be decellerating not accelerating
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:41 am
BBB
What about the likelyhood that light from celesteral bodies traveling millions and billions of years to earth that we finally see probably no longer exist. Does that mean we are studying things that are no longer there?

BBB
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:09 pm
BBB, I think that is very plausible!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:55 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
What about the likelyhood that light from celesteral bodies traveling millions and billions of years to earth that we finally see probably no longer exist. Does that mean we are studying things that are no longer there?

BBB

Yes. In many cases the stars we see are no longer there.

Supernova 1987a is about 170 thousand light years away, so even though we saw the Supernova in 1987 its progenitor star Sanduleak -69o 202, a blue supergiant, ceased to exist long before our ancestors painted the walls of Lascaux.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:24 am
Re: BBB
rosborne979 wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

Yes. In many cases the stars we see are no longer there.

Supernova 1987a is about 170 thousand light years away, so even though we saw the Supernova in 1987 its progenitor star Sanduleak -69o 202, a blue supergiant, ceased to exist long before our ancestors painted the walls of Lascaux.

This is one of my favorite sites of the Caves of Lascaux ---a virtual tour.

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/lascaux/en/

BBB
0 Replies

g day

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:19 am
Well the universe wasn't transparent until 300,000 years after the Big Bang. So when you say looking do you infer measuring visible e-m radiation or radio / gamma radiation?

COBE can measure the remants of the BB itself.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 09:51 am
g-day
g__day wrote:
Well the universe wasn't transparent until 300,000 years after the Big Bang. So when you say looking do you infer measuring visible e-m radiation or radio / gamma radiation?

g-day, are you, by any chance, an astronomer? I once knew an astronomer whose telescope facility was out in the boonies. We had wonderful conversations and I learned so much from her.

BBB
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 09:56 am
Only kinda-sorta re COBE and the remnants of The BB - there's that Planck Horizon we just can't see past.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 02:43 pm
g__day wrote:

WMAP has an even higher resolution that COBE. Here is an image from WMAP:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0509/sky_wmap.jpg
0 Replies

g day

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 05:06 pm
Yes I love astronomy - as an amateur. My interests are high energy physics, theoretical physics, cosmology and astronomy. So the worlds of the very big and very small.

I just like star gazing, my screen saver used to be gravit or another one that modeled galaxies colliding - really cool.

I'm on my second scope at the moment - a 5" MAK with motor drives but no GOTO and am saving for my third which should be either a 10" - 12" Meade or 11" Celestron with CCD imaging equipment and autoguide and focal length reducers.

Its an easy hobby to while away the midnight hours!
0 Replies