New Creed for those who want God, not organized religion

Leap72

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 08:13 pm
Benbow's Creed:

I believe in one god, with many faces and many names. The creator of all that is known and unknown. The god of the earth,the sun, the universe, the light, the goddess and the life force. The god of all religions.

I believe in his enlightened children, including Christ, Mohammed, Buddha and the many other sons and daughters unknown by name or lost in time.

I believe in original innocence. That newborns are free of sins and evil. Children are exposed to greed, jealousy, insecurity, selfishness and other unwanted traits as they walk through life.

I believe in free will: that we are not victims of our destiny, but have varying degrees of influence upon it.

I believe that any claiming the single path or the only god are prideful, ignorant and wrong. Their arguments are flawed. Their reasoning unsound.

I believe there are, have been and will always be false prophets, charlatans and liars.

I believe that all writings are inherently flawed because of the limitations of time and communication, human manipulations and errors in translations.

I believe humans are an imperfect lot with many flaws and shortcomings, but are inherently good.

I believe that women are the creators of life, the nurturers of civilization and are the hope for our future.

rb2k
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,589 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 10:05 pm
I can agree with some of what you are saying here. But, I believe in one God. I believe in Jesus Christ and that He died on the cross for our sins.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 10:56 pm
Hi Leap;

Welcome to the forum.

No comment.

Have a nice day.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:01 pm
Yes, Leap72,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:13 am
Re: New Creed for those who want God, not organized religion
Leap72 wrote:

I believe that any claiming the single path or the only god are prideful, ignorant and wrong. Their arguments are flawed. Their reasoning unsound.

So if I disagree with this (i.e. I don't believe that your creed of there being many paths, etc is correct) then I am wrong?

But in pronouncing me to be wrong, aren't you contradicting your own creed in asserting that your statement ( i.e There are many paths, etc) is the only correct view?
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:31 am
ok, welcome leap.

heehee
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:34 am
Leap - I agree with your beginning premise. I am a Christian, but over the years I have become more and more disenchanted with most organized religions.

However, I must disagree with the concept of "I believe in one god, with many faces and many names". Or, to put it another way:

I have no problem with people who support the Denver Broncos.

I have no problem with people who support the Dallas Cowboys.

I have a serious problem with people who believe the Denver Broncos are the Dallas Cowboys.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:40 am
Jim,

I love the way you stated that.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:54 am
Thank you kindly, Momma.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 09:13 am
That is closer to the truth than man conjured organized religions
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 09:19 am
I don't believe in creeds.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 09:27 am
Re: New Creed for those who want God, not organized religion
Leap72 wrote:

I agree with this part, with the possible exception of categorizing people who believe otherwise as prideful and ignorant.

Quote:
I believe that all writings are inherently flawed because of the limitations of time and communication, human manipulations and errors in translations.

I also believe that all religious writings are imperfect because language itself is an imperfect form of communication. Therefore, I cannot agree with those who believe that we should interpret the bible "literally", or that the bible is the only way to find god.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:16 am
au1929,

Perhaps then, when reading anyone's posts it might be important to not actually think their beliefs are of an organized religion, but of their own heart and mind?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 01:35 pm
J_B wrote:

Nice contradiction, stating a disbelief in creeds as your creed.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 02:38 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
au1929,

Perhaps then, when reading anyone's posts it might be important to not actually think their beliefs are of an organized religion, but of their own heart and mind?

There is never any question as to whether the beliefs they are expressing are those taught them by a particular organized religion.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:04 pm
real life wrote:
J_B wrote:

Nice contradiction, stating a disbelief in creeds as your creed.

Exactly! :wink:
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:06 pm
au1929 Wrote:

Quote:
There is never any question as to whether the beliefs they are expressing are those taught them by a particular organized religion.

Shall we put that to the test? What particular religion did my beliefs come from? Shall we make a small wager on this first?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:18 pm
I'll take that bet.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:23 pm
Go right ahead, echi. Wait, I didn't tell you already did, I? If I did, no fair!
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:29 pm
I think au1929 only means to say that your beliefs come from an organized religion, but not that it is necessarily clear which one.
0 Replies