It's Jesus' birthday and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 05:16 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Ahhh, yes. A different horse all together. My parents were the same way. Being the kid of a parent who thinks like this is hard. Being an adult of a parent who thinks like this is a blessing. It does make you appreciate things and also not to expect the world to just hand you things.

Very Happy

That's really cool, Bella! Both E.G. and I had genuinely poor parents growing up (mine a bit more than his), and have scrimped and saved, and are finally looking at a lot more prosperity than we're used to in the future (if all goes well). He's doing well as a professor and his salary will probably take a couple more jumps, and right now I'm not making any significant contribution to our income, which will hopefully change within the next few years. So I've thought about that, the whole conundrum of having the means but not wanting to shower sozlet with whatever she wants.

The car-when-they're-16 thing, ugh!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 05:30 pm
It is cool, Bella, thanks! I still haven't decided. If I wait any longer the decision will be made for me because there won't be a snowball's chance in hell of getting it anyway.

I don't know, she's faced an awful lot of emotional and social hurdles in the past and is doing a great job with school this year, which is the only reason I'm even considering it.

I'll sleep on it some more...
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:31 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I have a time machine.

C'mon over.

Me to.Look at my avatar.Mine only goes back to the 60's though Cool
0 Replies

Bodhisattvawannabe

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:58 pm
Reminds me of the "Brighter Christmas Fund" the local paper here runs. Everyday they tell the story of someone or some family who can use a little help at Christmas time. There are some truly hard luck stories and then there are the ones that used to irritate the hell of me. They were the stories where the mother was working 2 jobs and trying to carry all the burden because the father coudn't find a job. And this when the factory I worked in was begging people to work there! Rolling Eyes

Puhleese! The only thing these men couldn't find is a job they deem worthy of their time. They'd rather sit on their asses than feed their families by working at a job with only an average pay rate.

Anyway, I think enough people complained that there aren't any more stories like that.

On a lighter note, anyone remember getting fruit for Christmas and it being special? Our landlord when I was growing up always gave us a huge box of fruit and nuts for Christmas. It was wonderful!

And the one present I remember the most was Disney books. I can vividly remember the dark purple of some of the illustrations in Sleeping Beauty.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 08:29 am
Is someone from this thread on the Portland craigslist looking to buy a time machine for $40,000?

I do remember getting fruit for Christmas. A friend of my parents used to send this big box of grapefruit - it was the most delicious grapefruit ever.

I think fruit has kind of lost its luster in that it is now so readily avaiable year round.

Except for Pacific Rose apples which are not around all year so they have to be greedily gobbled when they're here.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 10:09:15