Arella Mae

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 10:29 pm
echi,

Thank you for the explanation.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:23 am
Momma Angel wrote:

Again, where does the conscience come from then? You say you don't know. I believe it's from God. If not from God, then where? Any thoughts?

Conscience can come from your social environment. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a higher power.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:56 am
Momma-of course its my belief. I have no evidence in support , other than about 20000 years of cave paintings in which it appears that someone is trying to convey something of a spiritual nature to appease spirits of animals or the later neolithic civilizations who prcaticed ritual burials and the neolithic African civilizations culminating with Egypt wherein records of gods and spiritual practices were kept in stone. I believe that they were trying to convey something. The Judeao/Christian and Muslim traditions cap off the stories quite completely.

Ilam believes that Christ was actually spirited away at his crucufixion and never died at all. Whose truths ya gonna believe? Im just standing back and saying that they all have differences and commonalities that seem to be proportional to societys maturation.

Husker, no Ive never read "Blink" do you recommend it? I just reread the "Gnostic Gospels". I need to be grounded in opinion and data from various sources.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:38 am
Questioner,

Ok, but where does the social environment derive its conscience from?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:41 am
Momma, I think we are confusing "derive" with "attribute"
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:45 am
Actually Farmerman, I meant derive. You seem to be assuming that a conscience is inherent. Perhaps on the simplest of terms it is, but the basics of right and wrong do derive from some source IMO.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:47 am
The myths arise out of our instinctual nature as the animals we are. Like any animal, we have patterns of behavior we are born with, augmented and refined by passing along knowledge from generation to generation. That is why we don't need divine inspiration for morality.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:51 am
I don't see any "right" or "wrong" what I do see are social contracts that are intended to benefit members in a reciprocal manner. Probably formalized in the human critter with the advent of "property" via agriculture/ animal husbandry. There is no "rightness" in nature. Conscience is a taught/learned attitude that varies from society to society.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:52 am
So you are saying that a conscience is also a product of the evolutionary process?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:54 am
Momma Angel wrote:
So you are saying that a conscience is also a product of the evolutionary process?

What?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:58 am
All things living.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:39 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Questioner,

Ok, but where does the social environment derive its conscience from?

The social environment gains what it deems as a conscience based largely upon how it's basic needs are met.

In America, we see canibalism as a sin. In other parts of the world where food either isn't as plentiful, or where spiritual rituals differ, canibalism is excepted.

Many countries consider 15 year old girls entirely to young to wed. Other's do not. The argument that morals and/or conscience are supplied to us by God is a weak one, and one that typically panders to people that wish to believe it.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:37 pm
Conscience and morality are different. Everybody has a conscience, but what we deem right or wrong depends on the morals that we've learned. I think that even those of us who reject the moral code of a society will still develop a sense of right/wrong (use other words if you like) if only through our own experiences.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:04 pm
echi wrote:
I think that even those of us who reject the moral code of a society will still develop a sense of right/wrong (use other words if you like) if only through our own experiences.

And that experience is that within one's society.
Morality is a function of society.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:28 pm
But what do you do when you have such conflicting moralities?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:47 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
echi wrote:
I think that even those of us who reject the moral code of a society will still develop a sense of right/wrong (use other words if you like) if only through our own experiences.

And that experience is that within one's society.
Morality is a function of society.

I agree that it's impossible to not be influenced by the moral system of your society. But a person's conscience operates independent any set of morals. What someone believes is morally right or wrong, as defined by society, can conflict with one's conscience; society's morals are imposed primarily for the purpose of benefitting society, not the individual.

I think people do things all the time that they believe are good because society says so. But I also think it's impossible to totally deny your conscience.

IMO this is one reason why it's not a good idea to pass laws based only on what some group believes is morally right (Gay Marriage, for example). We should leave those decisions, as much as possible, to the individual to decide.
0 Replies