Should Stanley 'Tookie' Williams of 'Crips' be executed???

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:50 am
California hears gang leader plea

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41099000/jpg/_41099780_tookie203.jpg

Protestor against the execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams
Williams's case has generated a public campaign calling for clemency
California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has heard a final plea to halt the execution of ex-gang leader Stanley "Tookie" Williams.

Mr Schwarzenegger must make a decision based on the clemency hearing before the penalty is carried out next week.

Williams, co-founder of the notorious Los Angeles Crips street-gang, was sentenced to death in 1981 for the murder of four people, which he denies.

A number of high-profile supporters have backed the appeal for clemency.

WILLIAMS' CELEBRITY SUPPORT
Snoop Dogg
Jamie Foxx
Winnie Mandela
Bishop Desmond Tutu
Rev Jesse Jackson

Case sparks US debate

Williams faces death by lethal injection on 13 December at San Quentin prison, north of San Francisco.

Correspondents say there is mounting pressure on the California governor to grant clemency, something he has not done in the previous two cases brought before him.

Prosecutors and lawyers for Williams each had 30 minutes to present their case to Mr Schwarzenegger.

Speaking after the hearing, defence lawyer Peter Fleming Jr said he believed Williams was of more use alive to spread an anti-gang message than he would be dead.

Asked if he was optimistic about his client's chances, he replied: "I'm still frightened to death."

Prosecutor John Monaghan told reporters the evidence in the case was "truly overwhelming" and that Williams' crime was so brutal "it simply justifies the ultimate penalty".

Stanley 'Tookie' Williams
Williams co-founded the notorious Crips gang

Mr Schwarzenegger is expected to issue his decision on whether to grant clemency - which would commute the death sentence to life without parole - by letter.

The hearing came a day after the governor had hospital tests to investigate an irregular heartbeat.

Earlier this week, South Africa's Winnie Mandela became the latest high-profile personality to call for clemency for Williams.

While in jail Williams, 51, has won praise for his anti-gang books, earning several Nobel Peace Prize nominations for his teachings.

His supporters range from Oscar-winning actor Jamie Foxx and rap star Snoop Dogg (himself a former Crips member) to Bishop Desmond Tutu and the Reverend Jesse Jackson.

Since the United States resumed the death penalty in 1977, governors have granted clemency 230 times, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41024000/jpg/_41024528_tookieap203.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,300 • Replies: 3
No top replies

stevewonder

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:53 am
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 02:37 am
Borrowed from another thread:

How many serious voices have we heard trumpeting the call for clemency for "Tookie?"

I've heard serious voices express a hope that Arnold spares Tookie, but they have all couched this expression in the context of their universal opposition to capital punishment. A fair number of these serious voices acknowledge that if we are to have capital punishment, Tookie deserves it.

Tookie isn't getting this special attention because he is black. There have been quite a few black men killed by the State who didn't have Jamie Foxx or Snoop Dogg pleading their cases.

(I guess in the case of Foxx, it depends upon whether or not the State intends to kill someone on his birthday.)

Tookie in his own way is a celebrity, and so it is only natural that he will attract the attention of other celebs (and they are by no means all black).

It's cool, my brother, to stop The Man from snuffing Tookie!

What has Tookie done since he murdered four innocents? (Not members of rival gangs but four people just like you and me).

He's written childrens books which warn kids away from joining gangs.

OK, that's good to see, but does it even the score on four taken lives?

He will not admit that he killed these people, even though the evidence is overwhelming that he did.

He will not in any way cooperate with authorities to bust gangs in prisons or on the streets. Tookie can't be no snitch! Tookie is an honorable murderer.

Personally, I am against capital punishment, but only because I do not want the State to have the legal power to kill its citizens. From a moral standpoint, I have no problem with the notion that come Monday of next week the State of California will be injecting death-juice into Tookie's vein.

Redemption does not require a quid pro quo of clemency.

PS: How the hell is the Save/Kill Tookie and International New item?
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 05:55 pm
True.........it may not belong in IN i thought the whole death sentance was a world wide debate but sure this is US case study.
0 Replies