What is your religion & have you met people of other faiths?

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 06:52 am
Now here is a poll kind of thing. I just want to know the religious make-up of those that visit these forums and also whether you have met people of other faiths.

I have come to the conclusion that people that lack tolerance have not come up against those of other faiths. For the sake of simplicity I will not be subdividing the different faiths, because:

1. That would make this way too complicated.
2. Christianity is Christianity, no matter how you slice it.

So I've split faiths into the categories you can see in the poll. If you would please click on the options and then make a post explaining your choice (i.e. telling us what your faith is and whether you've met and gotten to know anyone from another faith), I would be very grateful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 635 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 07:23 am
I'm Jewish and I've met many people of other faiths. It's kind of hard not to, since we're less than 3% of the US and less than 1% of the world. There were only about a dozen Jews in my elementary school; my brother and I were two of 'em, High School was not much more even though we lived in a different state by then.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 07:29 am
Your poll makes little sense. I've met people of a great many faiths, which leads me to tolerate just about everyone (i don't discuss religion or politics in real life, and get along well with nearly everyone), and leads me to despise the very concept of faith.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 08:21 am
I come from a Jewish and Christian background, was raised Methodist, and started life in New York City where there were people from all sorts of backgrounds. Never really gave it a lot of thought until I got older at which point I realized everybody has their own path and their own particular belief about what life is about and whether or not there is or is not a God or what-have-you.

I currently do not follow any particular religion and do not consider myself to be a Christian. I believe in God and also in the idea that there are many souls out there who work in various capacities with God...sort of like assistants. So, I am a God believer, but not a Christian. I do not consider myself to be Jewish even though my mother was Jewish. I was not raised with Judaic teachings, and did not attend a Seder until I was 10. Yes, my first religious rite, was a blessing from a Rabbi and the other start of life moments...bris anybody? However, Mother did not follow Jewish life to any degree and in fact sent all of us, her children, to the Methodist Church where I became a member at 12, and resigned from that said same Church 10 years later. So, my Jewish heritage is mainly on the outskirts and I do not have a strong desire to explore it further.

When it comes to people of other faiths I have met many over the years and still do. I do not base any of my thoughts on a persons religion, skin color or other appearance. People are who they are and I try to go into each interpersonal relationship as a blank slate. What happens after that is called life. We are all who we are and we are each and every last one of us individual and different from everyone else which makes us not only unique but the same. The same in that we are all different.

I did not submit a vote, mainly because none of the choices seemed directly applicable to me.
0 Replies

DavidH

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:33 am
I was born and raised in a Christian household, even though I am an atheist. All of my family, immediate and extended, is of one branch of Chrstianity or another. I have known people that are Scientologists, someone that was considering joining the Muslim faiths, those that aren't sure where they stand, even a couple that were practicing Satanists. I got along great with all of them, and maintain many of these friendships to this day. They are all facinating people in their own right, and I have had converstations with nearly all of them about why they believe what they do. We all accept eachother, and respect eachother's beliefs, even though we may not agree with them.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:45 am
I am agnostic, but other peoples beliefs don't bother me one bit, I have many friends of many different religions....
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 12:51 pm
Setanta wrote:
Your poll makes little sense. I've met people of a great many faiths, which leads me to tolerate just about everyone (i don't discuss religion or politics in real life, and get along well with nearly everyone), and leads me to despise the very concept of faith.

Interesting, you're just one of the people I wanted to catch on this post. There are others I really want to take this poll, like for example, a certain snake...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 12:57 pm
I know people of many different faiths. Some whom I can discuss religion and some I not. It all depends upon the person. I try not to condemn anyone for what they believe. I believe what you believe is between you and God. Discussing religion can be very hard at times because the beliefs are so personally held.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:33 pm
I selected "Other, Yes". My faith has changed over the years. I was raised in a Congregationalist home from Puritan ancestors, but I spent many of my teenage years attending Methodist churches with my friends.

I settled in a predominately Jewish area of the Chicago suburbs where 30% of our community and 70% of the student population at my children's school are Jewish. We attend the UU church where faith is a personal mission so most of my friends are of a different faith.

My current faith leanings are toward pantheism or sometimes deism, depending on which side of the bed I get up on :wink:
0 Replies