Harsh conditions on the mind

zeroh

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 10:14 pm
Everyday, when I'm in the shower, I turn the water from hot, to very cold, and stand directly below the water. I don't know why I started doing this, but it's become a daily ruitine for me. When I do this, I notice I start thinking about the most bogus things. some of the things I think of range from childhood memories that I cant remember normally, to taking the role of video game characters.

I guess this kind of compares to cabin fever... Being locked in the same place for a long period of time, and your mind begins to... (this is actually my question... what is the mind doing?)

I was wondering why these changes, or conditions change the way the mind thinks? Has anything like this been researched before?

Please write back with anything,
Thanks a lot.
Zeroh
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 913 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 01:46 am
Very interesting question Zeroh. These experiment probably seems so odd to people there afraid to answer and I don't know.

Why do you do it ? For expirament or are you trying to condition yourself?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:02 am
Check out Marcel Proust's Remembrance of Things Past. The protagonist is prompted by a smell to Remembrance. The whole book consists of that memory, and the effect that small things have upon us.

There are a number of serious books exploring the phenomneon, Google it or hit your local library.
0 Replies

zeroh

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 07:29 pm
For both reasons, Amigo. I've been working on my mental strength a lot lately... and have come to change every physical obstical into a mental task. And this one technique awards me the interesting thoughts that come to my mind, ya know...
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 10:07 am
I know what you mean Zeroh. Every problem is just an oportunity in disguise.

Memories are triggered by external impressions. It can be something as subtle as lighting conditions. A rare sunset may put you in the mood you were in when you saw it last, without you ever knowing that it was the cause.

The first time I read the lord of the rings I listened to alanis morisette while I read. Each time I've read it afterwards, the songs I listened to come to mind.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 10:37 am
To follow what Cyracuz said, there is a gentleman at my work who collects sports memoribilia and, on occasion, he'll bring in various catalogues. I was looking through one today and it had unopened baseball trading cards and as soon as I saw the picture is was launched back 30+ years; the wax paper that was used to wrap the cards, the rectangular, sharp conered bubble gum that came inside the smell of it all was available to me as if I actually had the package in front of me.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 02:47 am
zeroh, maybe the cold water makes the adrenaline rush to the brain and so it brings up childhood memories, I don't know. But if you keep putting yourself under a shower of hot and then cold water regularly, then it might put stress on your body and a body under stress will pretty soon be open sesame to diseases if stress is not relieved. So, I suggest you don't do that.
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 01:44 pm
The mind is far more powerful than the body--to the point of being able to control the body's reactions to stress--within the scope of an already-homeostatic state of health, which zeroh likely is in possession of at the present time. Physical health deficits preclude a desire to mentally challenge one's self, according to the principles of Maslow's heirarchy.

If the mind is seeking health, the body will not become open to diseases by such a thing as alternating hot and cold water in the shower. Passing out because of extreme hot water is probably the only problem. If your shower drain is patent, you will wake up with a headache. Smile If not, get some Drano...

Otherwise, what's to worry about? The stress from worrying about such things plants far more seeds for potential disease than a little 'harsh' conditioning in favor of growth--but lending one's own stress to another in well-meaning health-related advice doesn't truly help, either.
0 Replies

embracingthestars

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:27 am
Mind vs body
Yes the mind is more powerful than the body. Because ultimately your body can only control how you react physically to changes in the environment and such, but your mind controls your body and your behaviour. Thinking about thinking can be a dangerous thing, especially when you're not in the happiest of moods. Isn't that essentially why people commit suicide in the first place? And isn't our mind/brain responsible for how we think and act?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 08:53 pm
hey, are you still around?
Have you done any more research and/or you still running hot to cold in the shower?
Smile
0 Replies