'Gay weddings' become law in UK

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 12:12 pm
Hundreds of gay couples are preparing to form civil partnerships in the coming weeks as the law changes after decades of campaigning.
At least 1,200 ceremonies are confirmed as being scheduled already, according to figures from councils compiled by the BBC News website.

Registrars are preparing for the first ceremonies, with couples permitted to register from Monday morning.

Campaigners says the law ends inequalities for same-sex couples.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4493094.stm

Doesn't this move make a mockery of marriage between heterosexual men & women

I imagine God will be turning in his grave, if he needs one
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,565 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 12:20 pm
Think of the business this will generate . . . speaking of registries, have the bridal registries seen an upturn in business, and how do you know which one is the bride?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 12:25 pm
a bit like pin the tail on the donkey
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 12:36 pm
I really don't care, John Oak:

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2004/11/04/mn_contrast03_037kw.jpg
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:02 pm
I've never understood the idea that gay marriage makes a mockery of traditional marriage. I've known a lot of married people that made a mockery of their own marriage all by themselves, though.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:16 pm
Re: 'Gay weddings' become law in UK
oldandknew wrote:
Doesn't this move make a mockery of marriage between heterosexual men & women

No.

oldandknew wrote:
I imagine God will be turning in his grave, if he needs one

A take on Nietzsche I've never considered before.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:29 pm
Yay again!!!! Well done UK.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 03:20 pm
We have civil unions here between same gender couples... its not a 'Marriage' but it gives the couple the same legal rights as a married couple...IMO I dont think its harmful to anyone else, it just protects their
rights...and anyway its their own business.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 03:32 pm
So a case of business as usual. Each to his own.
The All Blacks keep winning
The sun still rises
And rock & roll is still loud
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 03:33 pm
If it ain't, it ain't rock and roll . . .
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 03:44 pm
they are not actually marriages or wedding ceremonies. They are legally "civil partnerships", which just gives the partners the same legal rights, property, pension etc etc as pertains to couples who are married. Gays cant get hitched in church. The deed is done by signature, not as in a marriage a verbal vow, later confirmed by signature. Gets a bit complicated after that but was trying to take in the legal niceties this morning so thought I would try and enlighten all.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 03:46 pm
Arrr...thankee.

Good first step, then.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 03:51 pm
I dont see anything wrong with it. For many couples its only regularising a state of affairs that has gone on for a long time. Although I heard it all this morning on the radio. Everything from homosexual men will demand rights to adopt boys. To the usual end of the world as we know it etc. I couldnt give a stuff really.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 03:54 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
they are not actually marriages or wedding ceremonies. They are legally "civil partnerships", which just gives the partners the same legal rights, property, pension etc etc as pertains to couples who are married. Gays cant get hitched in church. The deed is done by signature, not as in a marriage a verbal vow, later confirmed by signature. Gets a bit complicated after that but was trying to take in the legal niceties this morning so thought I would try and enlighten all.

Can anyone else there get married in church only?
Here, the church wedding isn't legal in and of itself.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 03:54 pm
The majority of European countries already had 'civil partnership' since some time.

The UK is one of the last undertaking this step.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 04:01 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

Can anyone else there get married in church only?
Here, the church wedding isn't legal in and of itself.

slight mis understanding, probably my fault

the wedding ceremony takes place in the Church. Immediately after the ceremony the happy couple go into a side room (vestry) in the church and sign the register which completes the legal side of things. If they dont do that they might be married in the eyes of God, but He doesnt adjust their tax pay code.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 04:02 pm
So they can either have a civil wedding, or a church wedding followed by civil documents being signed to make it legal?

In which case, it's a good step.

Almost catching up with South Africa there.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 04:05 pm
ehBeth wrote:
So they can either have a civil wedding, or a church wedding followed by civil documents being signed to make it legal?

yes if its between hetrosexuals. For homosexuals the new civil partnership arrangement does not provide for a church wedding.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 04:07 pm
cyphercat wrote:
I've never understood the idea that gay marriage makes a mockery of traditional marriage. I've known a lot of married people that made a mockery of their own marriage all by themselves, though.

Ramen.

Meanwhile, I thought the title meant that everyone had to get married to someone of the same sex, regardless of sexual orientation... :-D
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 04:07 pm
Some evangelical churches here in Germany make 'consecrations'/'blessings' for gay couples - which means nothing, since church weddings are nothing more than an old tradition. (But this is not a church wedding, though!)

(And, opposite to the UK, you can't get a church wedding in Germany when not married at the registry office - which gays can't; only civil union.)
0 Replies