3 Utahns try to open door for polygamy

Reyn

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 09:49 pm
My first reaction was to think "no way", but I'm not so sure now.

Now that the door has been opened for gay marriages in some jurisdictions, why not polygamous marriages?

My only hesitation would be if there were children involved.

In BC, we have our own little controversial polygamous community of Bountiful, located in the southeast corner of the province. I've included a link below for those that are interested.

Until 1963, interracial marriages were illegal in Utah. Residents who suffered chronic epileptic seizures and were not sterilized also were barred from marrying in the state.

And, until 1993, anyone who had syphilis, gonorrhea or HIV could not make that walk down the aisle.

Now, in 2005, three Utahns who want to unite as husband, wife and wife say their preferred form of marriage also should be allowed.

They are asking the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to reverse a federal judge's rejection of their challenge to state prohibitions against bigamy and polygamy.....

3 Utahns try to open door for polygamy

Polygamy in Bountiful
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,999 • Replies: 47
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 09:54 pm
Why not dog/human marriages? Or with cows?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 09:59 pm
Would there be puppies or calves involved?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 09:59 pm
Well, I'm not so sure anybody would ready for that, since it involves humans /non-humans. I'm thinking though that with the door cracked open with various human marriages, wouldn't it be hard now to deny others with their own ideas of what constitutes a "marriage"?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 10:00 pm
Could we at least stick with an age-of-consent, Reyn?
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 10:24 pm
I read an article about a guy in India who wanted to marry his camel. No, he didn't have a smoking problem, he was having regular intercourse with his camel. Well, needless to say, they shot the camel and kicked him out of his little village.

I'm thinking of making it into a screenplay. I can see it now...

We're both mammals
(The love that couldn't be)

by CrazyDiamond

...*sigh*
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 11:44 pm
Laughing

I'm glad that guy in India chose a camel as a mate instead of a poor little shitzu!

Polygamy can work, I'm sure. And be healthy as anything else. What confounds me is why a woman would want such an arrangement in the USA. I was under the impression that polygamy was mainly done for economic reasons (when it 'worked' and everyone was sharing equal rights). Y'know, for when there weren't enough men to go around. I have doubts as to how polygamy would make sense in the US of A.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 11:47 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Why not dog/human marriages? Or with cows?

I think that is such a specious argument. There is an obvious difference between non-traditional marriages, be they gay or polygamous, and marriages involving humans and non-human animals, and that difference is consent. There is no way a reasonable person can claim that an animal has given consent, and no marriage should be allowed in any situation where one party hasn't given consent.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 12:14 am
I've said it before - I don't see what the fuss is about. What's wrong with allowing polygamous relationships so long as grown-ups are marrying freely?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:03 am
I can't see anything to get het up about, on the face of it.

I could cope with a few husbands.....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 04:57 am
I'm waiting for a Muslim to bring up the argument that forbidding him to have more than one wife violates his Coinstitutionally-granted freedom of religion clause. A Mormon in Utah could make the same claim (and probably will in this case). Flushd, there is a surfeit of women and a paucity of men in the USA, as everywhere else in the world. So it makes perfectly good sense that if a gal can't find an exclusive husband, she might be willing to share one.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 08:30 am
littlek wrote:
I've said it before - I don't see what the fuss is about. What's wrong with allowing polygamous relationships so long as grown-ups are marrying freely?

roger wrote:
Could we at least stick with an age-of-consent, Reyn?

As Roger and K says here, they would have to be adults and freely give consent as one. Otherwise, as MA says, the law will be challanged for sure.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 11:37 am
I would definatly give my consent to marry three fine ladies Laughing
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 12:47 pm
Personally, I wouldn't mind if three fine ladies dragged me off and ravaged me on a communal honeymoon WITHOUT my consent.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 12:52 pm
CrazyDiamond wrote:
he was having regular intercourse with his camel

was going to ask why
but how seems more appropriate
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 12:54 pm
I'm assuming everyone contributing here knows that many of the plural marriages among old-school Mormons involve young teenage girls "marrying" much older men

We're all on the same page here, yes?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:04 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I'm assuming everyone contributing here knows that many of the plural marriages among old-school Mormons involve young teenage girls "marrying" much older men We're all on the same page here, yes?

no I didnt know that dart
how do you join? Do you have to be much older, or say a decade or so?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:11 pm
You know there is a joke somewhere in the title of this thread...

Three Mormons all rushed at once to open the door for Ms Pollygammy

Dont all come at once she said

ok you guys fill in the rest
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:12 pm
Is it just the Morons that do that?

It's not a certain state that allows multiple-partner marriages? I remember seeing a show about it.

I could care less if they allowed it or not. I'm sure people can have healthy poly relationships.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:14 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:
I'm assuming everyone contributing here knows that many of the plural marriages among old-school Mormons involve young teenage girls "marrying" much older men We're all on the same page here, yes?

no I didnt know that dart
how do you join? Do you have to be much older, or say a decade or so?

I'm guessing the men who are members of these communities aren't too eager to let other guys in on a good thing, Steve, but what the heck. Of course, you'd probably have to live in rural Utah...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 3 Utahns try to open door for polygamy
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 06/17/2024 at 05:01:58