3 Utahns try to open door for polygamy

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:34 pm
ok i move to ootar then what? not circumcision i hope?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:41 pm
Not sure about that, but I do know that drinking is frowned upon...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:46 pm
ok but the girls are real?
not some stupid islamist plot like 72 virgins in heaven i hope..
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:47 pm
Oh, they're real all right. They tend toward long dresses and no make-up, but they're real.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:59 pm
sounds ok to me. Apart from the restriction of no make up and long dresses, is there any other impediment to peadophilia within Mormonism?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:19 pm
Polygamy in the fundamentalist sect of the Mormon church is anything but harmless relations between consenting adults. Colorado City, AZ is a prime example of using the government to subsidize services for a society that sends the money on the the church leaders. They have learned how to get government money in a variety of ways--they have it down to a science.

What's worse, though, is the treatment of women and girls. The marriages are often arranged between men and underage girls. The girls and women have NO choice as to whom they will wed. Most marriages are not made official so the women can get welfare as single mothers.

Here is a link to an article with an except:

http://www.rickross.com/reference/polygamy/polygamy5.html

Deanna Beagley was raised in a polygamist family that included two mothers with 25 children. When she was 15 two girls told her at school that they heard she was going to be their "new mother." Beagley later learned an FLDS leader had been given a "revelation" that she was to become the fourth wife of a middle-aged man she despised. Beagley asked for help from the principal of an elementary school in a nearby town. He adopted her.
In 1998 at 24 Beagley lived with her husband and three children on the outskirts of St. George, Utah. She had successfully established a new life. But she grew up on food stamps and welfare. She said, "I know women out there wouldn't be having as many babies if it weren't for the welfare. I remember being told that this was a work of God and it was up to the outside world to make us flourish.'' To get more welfare money her father's second wife lied, she claimed his first wife's children were also hers to collect more, Beagley said.
According to federal paperwork, Colorado City is filled largely with unwed mothers without any visible spousal support. But Beagley said this has become a polygamist tradition, so that no proof exists of their many marriages through public records. Husbands marry only once in a civil ceremony. Other subsequent marriages are done "spiritually, but not legally. Beagley concluded, "It's a way of life. You get married, you go on welfare, and that's it.''
Polygamous women are treated as single mothers. "In terms of food-stamp eligibility, she's not in a recognized marriage situation, and she'd be considered a single mom with kids,'' said Mason Bishop, spokesman for the Utah Department of Workforce Services
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:22 pm
As for polygame between consenting adults, whatevery floats your boat is my philosophy as long as the marriages are not a ruse for public assistance.

The important thing is consenting adults. Children suffer abominable abuse whithin these fundamentalist communities.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:37 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't mind if three fine ladies dragged me off and ravaged me on a communal honeymoon WITHOUT my consent.

I believe that in your case, m'lord, this would come under the general heading of "implied consent," a phrase the lawyers are so fond of.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 04:42 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't mind if three fine ladies dragged me off and ravaged me on a communal honeymoon WITHOUT my consent.

I believe that in your case, m'lord, this would come under the general heading of "implied consent," a phrase the lawyers are so fond of.

I was going to say exactly the same thing! I was even going to call him m'lord too! How creepy...
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:42 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
CrazyDiamond wrote:
he was having regular intercourse with his camel

was going to ask why
but how seems more appropriate

You don't want to know....trust me Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:23 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I'm assuming everyone contributing here knows that many of the plural marriages among old-school Mormons involve young teenage girls "marrying" much older men

We're all on the same page here, yes?

Yes, I knew that part. But, we have laws against marrying people who are tooyoung. Of course they'd apply to any and all marriages.
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:16 pm
okay, I know this thread is about polygyny. But, why Reyn, do you liken polygynous marriage to gay marriage?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:27 pm
Well, the comparison is pretty frequently made...Just a few weeks ago in my political science class, the teacher made the suggestion that if a society allows gay marriage, there is no way then to prevent polygamy, incestuous marriages, or humans marrying non-human animals. So these subjects seem to be inevitably linked when discussing the limits of marriage.

I think the comparisons to incest and beastiality are laughable, but I do see why polygamy is brought up in this context.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:32 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Well, the comparison is pretty frequently made...Just a few weeks ago in my political science class, the teacher made the suggestion that if a society allows gay marriage, there is no way then to prevent polygamy, incestuous marriages, or humans marrying non-human animals. So these subjects seem to be inevitably linked when discussing the limits of marriage.

I think the comparisons to incest and beastiality are laughable, but I do see why polygamy is brought up in this context.

I think your political science teacher needs a refresher course (not to mention some sensitivity training). I also think she needs to take a course in logic. I've heard that argument before, but seldom from persons with a higher college degree who teach.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:43 pm
Yeah, I was pretty ticked off, and, well, not exactly surprised, because he makes no secret of his religion and so it seemed likely he'd disapprove of gay marriage, but I was still taken aback. I finally got him to admit that the beastiality comparison was illogical, but he continued to argue that incest was the inevitable next step on the road to hellfire if gay marriage came to pass. All right, he didn't specifically mention hellfire, but close enough. Wink
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:47 pm
Diane wrote:
The important thing is consenting adults. Children suffer abominable abuse whithin these fundamentalist communities.

I couldn't agree more. See the other link in the original post on "Bountiful". Very controversial here and has been the subject of many investigations, but still it continues.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:50 pm
And if we just leave it there, "consenting adults," then that takes care of all the nonsense arguments about marrying animals, children, etc.
But those who want laws to reflect their ideas of morality can't leave it at that, so nevermind...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:52 pm
You're right as rain (Reyn? Smile), cyphercat. And that proves you're smarter than your teacher!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:52 pm
daniellejean wrote:
okay, I know this thread is about polygyny. But, why Reyn, do you liken polygynous marriage to gay marriage?

This point has already been covered within this thread, so I won't repeat it.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 10:11 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
You're right as rain (Reyn? Smile), cyphercat. And that proves you're smarter than your teacher!

Laughing Embarrassed Laughing don't let him know!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 06/26/2024 at 04:08:23