SQ3R: Can it help me become a master student?

Mills75

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 08:54 pm
spidergal wrote:
Mills75 wrote:
What's a master student?

Umm....I want to be the kind who gets 90% + in all subjects.

Mills75, now that you are a teachere, how would you define one? Smile

"Master Student" seems a bit like an oxymoron, but after nine years as a full-time college student, I suppose I qualify. I would define such as a student who can absorb, process, remember, and apply new information quickly and efficiently. The 'master student' is one who knows what learning techniques work for him or her and employs them.

Of course, if you know what learning techniques work for you and employ them, then you'll probably also be the sort of student who gets 90% or higher in all or most subjects. However, a student who works really hard is likely to get 90% or higher, as well. The difference between the merely hardworking student and the master student would seem to be efficiency--the master student will have more time to play than merely hardworking student. :wink:
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 07:03 am
I think I agree.....
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:47 am
spidergal,
A varyation on the question part of the sq3r is to develop questions from the title and paragraph headings of each chapter.
Take the heading and form it into a question. The usual what is, how is etc. Then, as you read, see if you can find that answer. Do the same for each of the sub sections. Also, you will find that each paragraph will start with a topic sentence. That sentence will be very important. As you read through the paragraph, find what best supports that sentence.
Some other things that will help in your studies:
Take notes and read your notes every day.
Put your notes in phrases that you can understand
Highlight material of importance in one color, highlight material you think MIGHT be important in another.
Use a study group where each person is prepared with at least 3 open ended questions.
Ask yourself how you learn best. Focus on that and then use other methods to augment thaqt learning style.
I know, Its almost like a complete class isn't it?
By the way, I'm not only a member, but after 6 1/2 years of college, working as a full time machinist and having two part-time jobs, I was in two honor societies and graduated cum laude with an associates in education and cum laude with a BA in history with a teaching certificate.
Do I qualify?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 03:25 am
Well, yes Smile

Thanks Ralph
However, I am confused regarding note-taking. I take notes in the class but the teachers say that your final notes should be framed by incorporating the class notes and what you gather from various reference books.

Now, isn't it double trouble?

Thanks all for helping, I have my exams beginning this Dec15. :wink:
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 10:14 am
Not at all. You will normally have a good idea of what the prof deems important based on his/her lectures/discussions. Remember, you are not reading every word. You are only focusing on the key phrases in your texts. That will help you recall the more exact details of what they are looking for on the test.
If you are lucky you will have essay exams and not multiple choice.
usually the research that they ask for will be in support of what they have talked about.
Something else that may help. Write questions on index cards. Put the answers on the other side. As you study each night develop questions from the new material. Use the index cards when you are sitting eating, or any toher free time. Keep seperate cards in seperate stacks for each class.
One more thing. Try and make connections or what you are learning to what you already know. Yhe more you do this, the easier the learning becomes.
good luck
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 10:38 am
Hmm….I see. That was helpful Ralph. Smile However, this session is drawing to a close and I don't think I am going to inculcate note –making this year. I will probably next year (that’s not a mere resolution, I am actually very serious).

I wish you success in your plans to be a teacher. What are you going to teach? History? Rolling Eyes
You said you spent 6 years in college, B.A can only take 3 years, what did you do for the other 3 years? Confused
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 05:04 pm
I didn't start college until I was 31 and I wasn't sure how well I was going to do. So I started by going part time (6-9 credits) that took me 4 years. When I transfered to my 4 year college I took 12 credits and that took me 2 1/2 years.
Most students work to have extra money. I HAD to work and I was doing college in my spare time. My sister took classes at night and I took them during the day. Same college different proffesor perspectives. My proffesors looked at academics as the end all, and that nothing was more important. Hers viewed it that the reason they had other parts to their lives and didn't give them near as much homework.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 01:40 am
thats wonderful ralph

sturgis, i would like to tell you that i have scored highest marks in chemistry!

man, i lov chemistry!
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:00 am
How were the rest of your grades?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:01 pm
spidergal wrote:

sturgis, i would like to tell you that i have scored highest marks in chemistry!

man, i lov chemistry!

Congratulations spidergal! I knew you could do it...and I am (understandably) thrilled that you love chemistry!
0 Replies

xiaodong

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:01 pm
don't believe any stretergies!
I have used this method since I went into college, but I don't consider it's very useful. only one way can drive you to be a master student. It is only to work hard. Don't skip any weekend! Also, sometimes using stress yourself is very helpful!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 03:40 am
ralpheb wrote:
How were the rest of your grades?

ralph,
third highest in zoology and botany
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 06:30 am
I'll have my Chem practicals in Feb. Really looking forward to them!
0 Replies