Christmas tree or Holiday tree?

nimh

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 08:09 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Let's look at it this way. How would a white Christian feel if a person came up to them and said, "Happy Chanukah", or "Happy Kwanzaa"?

Well, I'm white and, though not Christian, not of the Kwanzaa or Chanuka-celebrating type either, and I wouldnt mind.

If everyone was saying it, I think I'd still be smiling - they're sharing their celebration with me, right?

Likewise, with Christmas. I dont believe in Christ, but people wishing me Merry Christmas to me just means: "we are celebrating, we wish you well too". Nice, no?

Live and let live. I'm of the multiculturalist variety that encourages everyone to express and share their own culture, mixing it up, celebrating diversity -- rather than of the variety that tries to forcibly guard some cultural "neutrality" of the public space by keeping everyone from expressing their culture.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 08:16 am
nimh- I hear what you are saying, but I think that it is a matter of degree. I think that by December 24th I have heard so many "Merry Christmases", from the bagboy at the supermarket, the checkout lady at the department store, and various and sundry other people of which I have very little relationship, that it begins to stick in my craw.

Maybe I am taking the whole thing too seriously. Sad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 08:48 am
There was an interesting program on just this topic on CBC's morning show, The Current, today. Unfortunately, you would not be able to read the transcript or hear the program until tomorrow (their web site has the Friday show loaded right now).

However, you can get the transcript and listen to the program on the "Holiday Tree/Merry Christmas" topic tomorrow, by visiting The Current.

One point which had occurred to me, and which was raised by one of the participants on the program, was that while people are obliged to refer to a "holiday tree" rather than a "christmas tree," no one insists that a menorah be referred to as a "holiday candelabra" . . .

That segment has an interview with a Christian group which sues people who attempt to prevent the use of the term christmas tree--and the gentleman makes accusations against the American Civil Liberties Union. They also interview a representative from the American Civil Liberties Union. I highly recommend it, and one might find it worthwhile to visit the site tomorrow to read a transcript of this morning's show.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:05 am
Set- I will check on the show. Thanks for the tip.

I do think though that there is a big difference between saying "Happy Holidays", and calling a Christmas tree a "holiday tree". A Christmas tree relates to the Christian holiday dedicated to the birth of Jesus. A menorah represents the "miracle" of the oil lasting for eight nights. Each object has a meaning specific to a particular faith. I think that it is silly, if not downright offensive to those who celebrate the object of their faith, to turn it into a generic object.

Coincidentally, there happens to be a number of holidays, of different faiths, that happen about the same time in December. Unless you wear your heart on your sleeve, (or a symbol of your religion around your neck), IMO it is presumptious for a stranger assume that you are celebrating one holiday or another. I think that it is far more sensitive and caring of a person's feelings, to wish everyone a generic "Happy Holidays", which also includes the New Years' holiday, which, in my experience, is not offensive to anyone.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:18 am
Well, if it would help, i'm sure i could work up some self-righteous indignation over the issue of a New Year's Holiday . . .
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:21 am
I just read part of the first page of the thread and then got lazy... but I'd still call it a christmas tree....
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:22 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Maybe I am taking the whole thing too seriously.

And I hear what you're saying, Phoenix. While I agree with nimh about the diversity thing, anything one hears 50 million times in the space of a few weeks gets old real fast.

With me it's the Christmas (Holiday Laughing ) tunes played everywhere. The stores start mid-November, increasing the frequency of play with every day that gets closer to The Event. By the time that comes around, I'm ready to puke with the first few notes of any yuletide bit of music because I've been exposed to it ad nauseam! Mad

If it only occurred the week before The Day, I could tolerate it much better. Of course, the theory is that if shoppers hear them in November, it's supposed to set the mood for the gift-buying tidal wave. For me, it's like holding my breath and going under water.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:24 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
nimh- I hear what you are saying, but I think that it is a matter of degree. I think that by December 24th I have heard so many "Merry Christmases", from the bagboy at the supermarket, the checkout lady at the department store, and various and sundry other people of which I have very little relationship, that it begins to stick in my craw.

Maybe I am taking the whole thing too seriously. Sad

Usually, 'Merry Christmas" should only be wished around those two (or three where Boxing Day is a public holiday as well) days - or just shortly before.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:31 am
Quote:
The stores start mid-November, increasing the frequency of play with every day that gets closer to The Event.

Mid-November, my Aunt Tallulah. 'Round these parts, I was spotting bulbs and tinsel in the middle of October.

I make it my business to keep my radio set to "off" on Christmas Day.

Funny thing is, I am a member of a local women's chorus. Last Sunday, we sang a program of both sacred and secular music. It was mostly Christmas songs, with one Chanukah song thrown in, in the service of diversity. (We were pretty good, if I should say so myself). Anyhow, I had no problem with that, because singing the music is MY choice.

Now, if that would only be the end of it!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:39 am
Chipmunks roasting on an open fire . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:54 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Last Sunday, we sang a program of both sacred and secular music. It was mostly Christmas songs, with one Chanukah song thrown in, in the service of diversity. (We were pretty good, if I should say so myself). Anyhow, I had no problem with that, because singing the music is MY choice.

Now, if that would only be the end of it![/color][/b]

That's really different from Europe - singing Christmas songs on the 1rst Advent would be a blasphemy :wink:
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 11:18 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
And how would a white Christian feel if the "Happy Kwanzaas" and the "Happy Chanukahs" were being said to you, over and over again, often by people whom you did not know, ad nauseum?

I hate all that. I hate strangers wishing me 'have a nice day' never mind 'Happy Christmas'! equally artificial and creeping in over here with some supermarkets - yuk!!!

ad nauseum is horrible and totally insincere. I don't at all mind people wishing me a happy Christmas, Hanukah, Diwali or Eid if I know them - and I wish them one - if I know them.

We have a horribly politically correct council here who said childrens Christmas parties must be Seasonal parties - yet Diwali/Eid/Hanukah parties are ok - now that is political correctness that stinks. I am perfectly happy to have my family attend other cultures celebrations and hope they will feel the same attending events to do with my culture. Such silliness breeds division and resentment. Evil or Very Mad

In other areas they are good. One area of town is full of Asian shops and has lights up for Diwali that have Divas (the little biblical type lamps) for Diwali, which are changed to Christmas images for Christmas, which follows - the strings of lights are the same for both, just the detail changes, I like that, both cultures are catered for and it looks good.

The Christmas muzak is awful and starts far too early.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 04:54 pm
all we now need is bing crosby singing "i'm dreaming of a white christmas ... " , when in the other half of the world people will spend their christmas at the beach - wearing bikinis .
for many years we spent the month of november in myrtle beach and i was always fascinated by how much artificial snow was being used in shopping centers, hotels etc to announce the coming of "a white christmas" .
i remember sitting on the bach and a local telling me : "one year we did have snow for christmas, it was mighty purty " . (missing myrtle beach !) hbg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:09 pm
I've mentioned before living in L.A. and being gobsmacked at the sight of artificial snow in someone's yard, a foot or so -- as in, it was real snow (little pieces of ice) but manufactured by some special effects machine or ski slope machine or something.

Way weird.

Very L.A.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:12 pm
I joined the hamburgers on part of one of their South Carolina vacations one Christmas season.

I was quite impressed by the wreaths and antlers people had fastened to the front of their vehicles. Seemed the epitome of being Merican to me.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:34 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Mid-November, my Aunt Tallulah. 'Round these parts, I was spotting bulbs and tinsel in the middle of October.

Oh, sure, I saw decorations earlier, too. I was thinking specifically of Christmas type tunes.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:42 pm
A friend of mine in Florida was worried about her neighbors because they usually start putting up their Christmas display the day after Halloween. This year they waited until mid-November.

Turns out they were waiting for the new Santa Sleigh which had to be worked into the lighting system.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 03:34 pm
One of the best things about walking the dogs at night at this time of year is that you can peer into people's front windows Cool

Last night's sighting - the first decorated tree in someone's living room - in this case, my Muslim neighbours Shocked Then again, I shouldn't be surprised - they took their kids to the Easter parade in the spring.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 04:35 pm
This "Holiday Tree" nonsense will be stopped as soon as they realize
that "holiday" is derived from "holy day" in much the same way
as "Christmas" is derived from "Christ's mass."

"Special Event Tree" anyone?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 06:34 pm
it's a "tannenbaum" - a simple "fir tree" , nothing more, nothing less. hbg
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 11:33:42