TELEPORTER & TIME MACHINE

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:39 pm
username wrote:
Re: teleporter: something like a cross between a scanning electron microscope, CAT scan machine, and supercomputer: the machine destructively scans each and every molecule, tags it with location and relation to other molecules of you, creates a digital package of all that info, sends it to wherever you want to go, where a corresponding machine stocked with a whole bunch of organic molecules uses that info to replicate an exact analogue of you, and you walk out of the machine. The question, of course, is, is that the same you, even tho it's completely identical, but it's now made up of different atoms. Are you the same person or someone who just looks the same? But at least you get from here to there.

Ahhh! That's very close to what Crichton postulates in Timeline. The time-travelers are really disassembled 'here' and reassembled 'there.' And, yes, he foresees that glitches in the procedure are possible. A similar gimmick is operative in "The Fly", a short story which was made into a movie -- twice. But in "The Fly" the glitch manifests itself in a different way than in Timeline. In Crichton's book there would be no possibility of an unwanted insect being in the treansfer chamber. But he sees that the components of the organism might be reassembled not quite correctly, particularly as regards such delicate items as neurological synapses and brain cells.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:48 pm
Out, Michael Crichton, out, damn you! Who teleported you into my brain?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 05:45 pm
Angel-

It's not a long story but I knew You were here because when I catch Steve on the Index I always have a look and there You were.No mystery.

I could spot You anywhere.I like the way that you "pop up" just like that as Tommy Cooper used to say.It's sweet.

But I'm still no wiser about what "book mark" is.Not that I'm particular concerned about it mind you.I've lived quite a while without it already but I was just curious.If You don't want to explain it that's alright.I understand.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 02:51 am
You really don't know Spendie? Well, it's to mark the thread your interested in. You may or may not contribute to the thread, but your interested in it. I sometimes just turn on the email updates at the bottom of page (to the right). But, lately it gets turned off.

You can see me too? *big smile* for Spendie.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:27 am
Further clarification re: Angelique's post above: the insertion of a "bookmark" into a thread one is following, but not actually participating in, insures that new responses to the thread will be in your "my posts" file. Thus, whether you get e-mail update notices or not (I don't) you can always have quick access to the thread without needing to go searching for it through all the fora. Especially useful if you're interested but absent-minded (like I am).
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:37 am
Thanks Merry for that clarification. I need to hunt some to threads down because I don't get the reply notices whether I BM or click on the reply feature at the bottom. And, sometimes I get too many reply notices for a thread, one right after another.

http://www.ancientworlds.net/aworlds_media/ibase_1/00/08/32/00083223_000.gif
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:44 am
Those hamsters are capricious, Angelique. There will be a week or two when my mailbox is crammed with notices. Then, all of a sudden, the notices will stop, whether I bookmark or click on e-mail updates or not. Finicky. Capricious. Playful. That's what them there hamsters are.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:54 am
I wish we could go back, and make corrections like we used to. Confused Embarrassed When I rush on a post I make plenty of mistakes, or I'm too slow trying not to make any. *sigh*

http://www.michyland.com/Xmas/Bars/CharliesTree.jpg
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:05 am
http://img.123greetings.com/thumbs/cute_angels/1005-010-41-1069.gif

You can still edit Angel as long as nobody has posted after you which is pretty usual for long enough for you to read your post and correct it but not always
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:23 am
I love that Spendie! Did you make it?
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:25 am
spendius wrote:
http://img.123greetings.com/thumbs/cute_angels/1005-010-41-1069.gif

You can still edit Angel as long as nobody has posted after you which is pretty usual for long enough for you to read your post and correct it but not always

I know Spendie, but sometimes people are too fast, and I'm too slow. Confused
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:43 am
http://www.wfu.edu/~matthetl/sunrise/angels/LInocence.gif

I'm just messing about and if you like it that's good enough.That's a man's role ain't it?
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:46 am
I like them Spendie, and I'm taking a copy if you don't mind.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:04 am
http://www.ancientworlds.net/aworlds_media/ibase_1/00/07/05/00070599_000.jpg

Here Spendie Smile See what this inspires. I call her Lady in Red.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:17 am
With legs that length I would be inspired to fasten two hooks to the ceiling about 6ft apart.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:21 am
LOL I meant artistically!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:34 am
Well-I would make them shiny and jewel encrusted and I would have imitation fur anklets so she didn't chafe.Adjustable of course.

Is that artistic.Am I getting warm?
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:43 am
Oh, your getting warm alright :wink: Very creative indeed I must say Exclamation Smile
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:50 am
Spendie, I just made a thread in General called "The Good Spirits Thread". Please post something.

0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:51 pm
Re: TELEPORTER & TIME MACHINE
vinsan wrote:
Hey friends,

A help is needed ... I am asked to write a science fiction story about a boy who travels in the past and back to the future using a Time Machine cum Teleporter.

Can I get any theoretical design info about a time machine \ teleporter. Will it be a chamber or a small gadget like a watch or cell phone...can suffice?

If anybody has their own Time machine designs, it would b more than welcome. It may be unqiue and fresh. The web offers me some sites with Time Machine designs but the most of them talk about designing a Watch or Clock. Others who provide Time machine (as actually travelling into future) & teleporter, speak language that is Einsteinish.

The simplest idea I have come across is when moving with a speed of light or curving space-time, one can reach the future. But what abt past? Also what about energy loss while travelling at that huge speed? Surprised

Also a teleporter is different than a time machine. So the ones we have seen in movies have these huge chambers which must be present at both ends. Other ways of getting teleported are through the antimatter. Any believable explanation for this? Confused

Please can u storm ur brains and help me with some innovative ideas abt Time Machine & Telporter.

Basically this being a teenage story, a minimum technical complexity is preferred as it must be understood by a high school reader or a non-technical adult.

Thanks in advance,

PS: All A2K Science Experts I am waiting for ur advice Smile

If you need some help with constructing the story, designing the plotline or creating characters for science-fiction or fantasy,
try here.
0 Replies