TELEPORTER & TIME MACHINE

vinsan

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 02:47 am
Hey friends,

A help is needed ... I am asked to write a science fiction story about a boy who travels in the past and back to the future using a Time Machine cum Teleporter.

Can I get any theoretical design info about a time machine \ teleporter. Will it be a chamber or a small gadget like a watch or cell phone...can suffice?

If anybody has their own Time machine designs, it would b more than welcome. It may be unqiue and fresh. The web offers me some sites with Time Machine designs but the most of them talk about designing a Watch or Clock. Others who provide Time machine (as actually travelling into future) & teleporter, speak language that is Einsteinish.

The simplest idea I have come across is when moving with a speed of light or curving space-time, one can reach the future. But what abt past? Also what about energy loss while travelling at that huge speed? Surprised

Also a teleporter is different than a time machine. So the ones we have seen in movies have these huge chambers which must be present at both ends. Other ways of getting teleported are through the antimatter. Any believable explanation for this? Confused

Please can u storm ur brains and help me with some innovative ideas abt Time Machine & Telporter.

Basically this being a teenage story, a minimum technical complexity is preferred as it must be understood by a high school reader or a non-technical adult.

Thanks in advance,

PS: All A2K Science Experts I am waiting for ur advice Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,918 • Replies: 57
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 02:57 am
You might use the concept of discontinuous topologies, that is, bringing two spacetime points of the cosmos into momentary contact to transport an object through space and/or time. Then, one device might do both the time travel and the teleportation.

Sometimes in science fiction they refer to this as warping or folding space or spacetime. The term spacetime reflects the fact that in many equations the time coordinate behaves the same as the 3 spacial coordinates.

In reality, science isn't ready to address such an idea yet, although it is not as far from it as many laymen think.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 03:29 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
You might use the concept of discontinuous topologies, that is, bringing two spacetime points of the cosmos into momentary contact to transport an object through space and/or time. Then, one device might do both the time travel and the teleportation.

Sometimes in science fiction they refer to this as warping or folding space or spacetime. The term spacetime reflects the fact that in many equations the time coordinate behaves the same as the 3 spacial coordinates.

In reality, science isn't ready to address such an idea yet, although it is not as far from it as many laymen think.

How can I make this happen... using what method do I perform momentary contact of 2 spaceTime points
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:43 am
Re: TELEPORTER & TIME MACHINE
vinsan wrote:
...I am asked to write a science fiction story about a boy who travels in the past and back to the future using a Time Machine cum Teleporter.

Can I get any theoretical design info about a time machine \ teleporter. Will it be a chamber or a small gadget like a watch or cell phone...can suffice?

Please can u storm ur brains and help me with some innovative ideas abt Time Machine & Telporter.

Basically this being a teenage story, a minimum technical complexity is preferred as it must be understood by a high school reader or a non-technical adult.

Best thing I can advise, is that you keep in mind this is a science fiction story. By the very nature of that you are allowed to let your imagination run wild. You get to create the ideas of how people, things, etc., can and will be transported or shifted through time. It might be through a button on a watch or a button on a telephone, the choice is yours as is the level of complexity which the device needs to have.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:53 am
Re: TELEPORTER & TIME MACHINE
but sturgis, I also need to add some technical material. Its a science fiction, remember!

The description is important because the technicality plays a very important role in the story.

Thats y i asked Brandon9000 HOW do i achieve collision of 2 space Time points.... If I had to write a normal story, his explantion is sufficient ... even I had an idea about a time machine - teleporter can be achieved together with space-time curvature. But HOW is the question.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:59 am
I suggest you read Michael Crichton's Timeline. In this book Crichton has invented a time-machine that is based on scientific principles rather than the vague sci-fi gadgets usually encountered in such books. It takes a group of scientists and historians back to the Hundred Years' War of the Middle Ages. The author uses some theories of quantum physics to construct his machine. As for teleportation -- I have no advice.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 08:17 am
You are not going to get much technical info visnan.

Any ideas about time travel lie purely in the rarefied atmosphere of theoretical physics. So no one is going to quizz you too hard about HOW any time machine that you dream up might work.

How about this idea. You are alone working with your computer. You are working hard on some project. You find it necessary to adjust the date/time on your machine...maybe one hour back like daylight saving time in UK. Then go outside and go for a train. You look at your watch and find you are late...but you catch it ok because it arrives exactly an hour late. On board you say to a passenger...hey its a good job the train is late or I would have missed it. Then you find out your watch is in fact one hour ahead of everyone else but you never touched it. YOUR COMPUTER HAS TURNED TIME BACK OUTSIDE YOUR ROOM.

(actually I think thats a pretty good idea myself, I might write a book and make a fortune)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 08:26 am
Not bad at all, Steve.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 03:05 pm
Steve, Stephen King, quite a long time ago, wrote a short story which has a similar gimmick. It was published in, I believe, Yankee magazine. In this story, there is a computer, or perhaps just word processor, which carries out its owner's commandes. You type a person's name, click 'delete' and that person ceases to exist. That sort of stuff. 'Backspace' would probably work as a time machine in this setup.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 03:09 pm
Well there you go Vinsan. You are sat in front of your time machine.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 03:23 pm
Steve

Have you never cuddled one on a park bench?
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 03:28 pm
Book Mark
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 03:32 pm
spendius wrote:
Steve

Have you never cuddled one on a park bench?

In all honesty no. Not a time machine nor a teletransporter nor a computer. And its generally too public and uncomfortable for a girl.

But there was a time...if not on a park bench...when...well...I was young once.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:02 pm
You know what I mean then?Roughly anyway.

If he did an essay on those lines he would either get an A++ or expelled depending on the aesthetic sensibilities of the adjudicating officer.What!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:05 pm
Might even run to a book.I'll think about it.More chance of a fortune with that I should think.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:19 pm
Re: teleporter: something like a cross between a scanning electron microscope, CAT scan machine, and supercomputer: the machine destructively scans each and every molecule, tags it with location and relation to other molecules of you, creates a digital package of all that info, sends it to wherever you want to go, where a corresponding machine stocked with a whole bunch of organic molecules uses that info to replicate an exact analogue of you, and you walk out of the machine. The question, of course, is, is that the same you, even tho it's completely identical, but it's now made up of different atoms. Are you the same person or someone who just looks the same? But at least you get from here to there.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:20 pm
Angel--hello again.

What does "book mark" mean.I've seen it a few times and I can see what it's for but how's it done?
I'm only a beginner.It took me months to discover Google.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:22 pm
I just type bookmark.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:23 pm
In usernames ace post there was this-

Quote:
and you walk out of the machine.

That's a bit far fetched.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:31 pm
spendius wrote:
Angel--hello again.

What does "book mark" mean.I've seen it a few times and I can see what it's for but how's it done?
I'm only a beginner.It took me months to discover Google.

Hi Spendie, how did you know I was here? I'm been very quiet. Razz
0 Replies