do not press 90# on your home phone

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 01:43 am
received the following forward via my wifes work.

original message sent sun 20 Nov 2005 7.21 am

I got a call last night from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T service technician who was conducting a teat on our phone line He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine (9) zero (0) hash (#) and then hang up, luckily i was suspicious and refused.
Upon contacting the telephone company i was informed that by pushing 90# you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line which allows them to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number.
I was further informed that this scam was originating from many of the local prisons.

The original message gives a Detective Senior Constables name and phone number at the St Kilda rd Melb (AUST) state crime squads office.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 949 • Replies: 5
No top replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 02:10 am
AT&T? I don't think we have them here. I think this could be a bit of an urban myth dadpad.

Found this bit of a myth
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 03:05 am
Heehee...dadpad got a tad of a bad pad scam re the touchpad.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:02 am
His phone has a teat?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:05 am
except for i thing ladies and gents. yesterday i personally got a call from a recorded chap with an American accent telling me i had won/been selected for a holiday in the bahamas and to press 9 to find out more. yeah right big guy. i mentioned it to a chatroom friend, not more than 5 mins later said friend got the same call. wonder what number he would have had me press next.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:14 am
I'm not surprised dadpad. Not surprised you got the call I mean. It's a real scam but it's mixed up with some net mythology. It's a bit like the emails we all get from our very good friends in Nigeria (barristers, former Ministers, wives of deceased tyrants etc). They too are real. So's this. It's just that it won't affect any of us on our home phone.

AT&T
0 Replies