BRRR!....IT'S BRASS MONKEYS OUT THERE!

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 11:45 pm
It's time for the thermal underwear, chaps. The freeze has arrived.

My dog started whimpering about half an hour ago (4.30am) and I came down to let her into the garden.

It is brass monkeys right now, in the UK. The grass was crunching underfoot as she trotted to her usual peeing area, and she couldn't wait to get back into the house.

Bugger this for a lark!....I'm back off to bed.

"Ladbrokes (bookies) yesterday slashed the odds of a white Christmas in London or Leeds from 8/1 to 5/1. The odds of snow falling on Christmas Day in Glasgow were reduced from 6/1 to 4/1, while in Cardiff the odds are down to 6/1 from 8/1.

Ladbrokes also cut the odds on Christmas Day being the coldest on record to 25/1. The coldest December 25 was in 1878 when County Durham dropped to -18.3c.

The big freeze follows a mild autumn with plenty of sunshine. Now long-term forecasts predict that the winter months will be punctuated by a series of severe cold snaps each lasting up to a fortnight with temperatures barely rising above freezing."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=369238&in_page_id=1770
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,109 • Replies: 18
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 01:07 am
I have just got up for work - looked outside - NO SNOW as predicted, but it's bloody freezing! I have sent the current Mr S out to scrape my car. I bet half of my appointments don't turn up today (that's one good thing).

I work in a Jobcentre and just a whiff of frost tends to keep the punters away...
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:08 am
I mowed my lawn on Monday, but today it's 10F with 4" of snow on the ground. Fa-la-frigging-la.

Does any part of GB have the equivalent of "lake effect" snow? When the winds blow from the NW across unfrozen Lake Erie, the inland elevations get god-awful amounts of snow -- up to 2' last week -- while only a dusting is received a few miles beyond them. I don't know why anyone would choose to live there, but the locals adapt and even seem to love it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:23 am
right now I am wearing shorts and a light t-shirt

it is currently 68 degrees with a very slight fog.
It will be about 78 later on, with mild humidity
The wind chill is non existant at this point and my heater was left on last night by accident.. and it is currently 80 frickin degrees in this house.

I have a light sweat and a chuckle for all you freezing folks out there...

> evil laughter<
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:24 am
Cold weather is good for you, people need to stop being wimpy about it.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:27 am
Lordie, does your title mean that it is cold outside? If it does, it sure is very cold here today too.

Lordie, can you write poetry in the archaic language of Shakespeare?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:40 am
It was 35 C here.

That's 95 F
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 08:11 am
AngeliqueEast wrote:
Lordie, does your title mean that it is cold outside? If it does, it sure is very cold here today too.

Lordie, can you write poetry in the archaic language of Shakespeare?

The full expression is "It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey"

One chain of thought, is that a "brass monkey" is the sign that hangs outside a Pawnbrokers shop (three brass balls), and when it was cold enough, they would contract in size (as I do, actually), and sometimes fall off.

The other theory is to do with cannonballs, that were stowed aboard a ship in a pyramid fashion, on a square brass frame, known as the "monkey".
Again, when cold enough, the frame would contract faster than the iron cannonballs, causing them to fall off.

Shakespeare? Are you asking me to write more poetry, AE?

I'm flattered.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 08:14 am
You do realize L'Elpus if you had not punctured your blow-up doll you'd have a little something to keep you warm.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 08:15 am
LOL Thanks for the explanation.

Yes please in the language of Shakespeare. It should make it more interesting the combination of your style and Shakespeare language.

Oh, no, I feel sick, the weather got me.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 08:33 am
Sturgis wrote:
Cold weather is good for you, people need to stop being wimpy about it.

You'd be wimpy too, if you were standing on your back patio at 4.30am in subzero temp, wearing nothing but a Victoria's Secret camisole and a pair of slippers!
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 08:36 am
LOL Oh the image!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 08:41 am
Frostbite and hypothermia arrived here today as well accompanied by traffic jams of the non-believers to weather reports who didn't send the Missus out to change the tyres.

(That's not me: my tyres were in a tyre hotel, full board, including changing. [In my garage, that is.])
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 08:44 am
Robert Frost wrote:

SOME say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice, 5
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:11 pm
Interesting how his name was Frost...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:42 pm
Sturgis--

Nomenclature is destiny?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 05:29 pm
Hmmm...I have a recently purchased biography of Frost.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 06:30 pm
give it back
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 06:46 pm
the steam heating in the change room at the pool has been acting up lately ... not very pleasant when the outside temp is minus 12 C - before windchill.
as we were leaving the pool and going into the change room this morning - boys separate from the girls - most of us were grousing after stepping out of the hot showers into the "cool" changeroom. michael, a good, ol' brit , retired professor with a dry sense of humour stepped quickly from the showers into the changeroom - sans towel - , opened his locker, pulled out his furhat, put it on, gave us a smile and started to dry off.
"you can tell he's a brit, stiff upper lip" , i remarked with a smile . "it's not his upper lip that's stiff" , remarked fellow athlete jack, a retired school principal. i wish i would have had a camera to photograph a bunch of raucous old men having fun that early in the morning. hbg
0 Replies