I'm too busy being a hostage to talk right now......

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:39 am
I'm glad I didn't have the TV on yesterday because I imagine even Portland was saturated with constant coverage of the weirdest kind.

It is amazing what becomes "newsworthy" in such situations.

I was startled by this morning's headline as I had not heard a whisper of the event. The paper was very restrained in its coverage.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:41 am
The main point is that it's all entertainment and blood and guts and shoot-outs etc are popular.That's all there is to it.If you want to get ethical you'll have to have central control and no guns.

Nightsticks,watercannons,tear gas,padlocks molotov cocktails and rocks behind every curtain.

Bob Dylan.
Jokerman.

We've had a policewoman shot dead recently and it has started a debate about our police being armed.
Shy News just put up a comparison with other countries where police are armed and these are the figures.
UK Police not armed 1 shooting death per million.
Germany Police Armed 2 shooting deaths per million.
France Police armed 3 shooting deaths per million

USA Police armed 44 shooting deaths per million.

Total shooting deaths in UK last year 65

Total shooting deaths in USA 14,500.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:06 pm
I didn't watch the tv until the evening news. By then the crisis was over but the local station wanted to hold onto their rapt audience, I think. Hence the diagram of local hospitals -- a public service for those who needed to know. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:09 pm
<rinnnnnggggg... rinnnnnnggggg>

"You want me to get that, or should I send it to your voicemail?"
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:18 pm
Quote:
Wouldn't it make sense though, Noddy, to let the hostage taker make the first move. I do recall similar stories where the criminal had a specific media person that they chose to speak with.

People who let their guns do the talking are often innocent lambs in the ways of the world.

This guy seemed to be improvising has he moved from assasin to hostage taker,.
0 Replies