Why is Cuba so popular with the left?

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:36 pm
60 years of Castro's marxism have left Cuba a defeated non-entity which has lost much of it's population to the U.S., often has less than subsistence levels of caloric intake for it's population and which is now dependent on the charity of Cuban Americans and the sale of it's women into prostitution to maintain even a poverty striken level of existence.

Why is this failed police state the darling of the anti-globalization left?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,496 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:37 pm
Cool beaches, cheap sex . . .
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:46 pm
the best jazz in the world !!!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:47 pm
castro's 'marxism' (i would never call it that though, castro's regime has little to do with what marx wrote about) is not the only cause of cuba's economic downfall.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:48 pm
the best jazz in the world !!!
friendly people !
you can walk around at night without worrying about being held up.
first-class hotels at reasonable prices.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:51 pm
Good cigars!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 01:02 pm
boomerang beat me to it - i'm not a smoker, but i understand cigar smokers still prefer a "cubana".
plenty of united states citzens come to canada to buy cuban cigars here. some toronto cigar stores have set up humidors for their u.s. clients , so they can store their cigars here - i'm sure none are ever taking them across the border back to the u.s. ???
hbg

http://secure.thompsoncigar.com/images/products/cubancigars.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 01:05 pm
I don't smoke cigars either but the people I know who do drool over Cubans.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 02:19 pm
When you drive over from Detroit to Windsor, Ontario, and take Huron Church Road, about every other store front is either a strip joint or is advertising Cuban cigars . . . i once had a Canadian mocking me because he can visit Cuba, but i can't . . . i let him have his fun--i could have pointed out that i can indeed visit Cuba if i wish, and i can tell the U.S. State Department to piss off if they harrass me about it. I could also have pointed out that i won't even go to Florida because i don't like hot climates . . . but why bother, he was havin' fun . . .
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 06:44 pm
i understand that u.s. citizens can go to cuba on "cultural" group visits - a u.s. travel magazine recently had an article on how to arrange it.
i wonder if wanting to smoke cuban cigars qualifies as a "cultural" visit ?
btw quite a few of the u.s. citizens keeping their own humidors in toronto cigar shops are film stars coming to toronto on business, i.e. making films in toronto.
when we were in toronto in the spring, we noticed dozens of new york taxis(the old style checker cabs) lined up on one of the downtown streets ... upon inquiring why so many taxis had come from new york to toronto, one of the taxi drivers had a good look at me and explained that they keep a stable of checker cabs in storage and slap on a label depending on the u.s. city being "fake filmed" - never too old to learn . hbg
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 07:54 pm
Too bad I don't smoke, but I must have a look at those stores in TO, anyone know where they are?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:02 pm
I want to go to Cuba. I read an article written by a Maxim editor who went there. Sold me.

Beautiful women, and if you're a middle class American, you'll be absolutely rich over there. I wanna live like a pimp for a few days, dammit.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:36 pm
cuba
goodfielder : here is one of the many toronto stores selling cuban cigars...YIT'Z CUBAN CIGARS...
some stores also do mail-order business.
smoke 'em, if you got 'em ! hbg
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 09:30 pm
Thanks hbg - I'll drop in there for a corned beef sandwich but give the cigars a miss Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 09:32 pm
If yer in TO and you wanna great sammich, you gotta go down to the St. Lawrence Market of a Sattiday morning an' have one of their pea-meal bacon sammiches . . . man, oh man, the next best thing to a meatloaf sammich . . .
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:32 pm
Hey, Schwarzenegger loves cigars.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:47 pm
Setanta wrote:
If yer in TO and you wanna great sammich, you gotta go down to the St. Lawrence Market of a Sattiday morning an' have one of their pea-meal bacon sammiches . . . man, oh man, the next best thing to a meatloaf sammich . . .

Is that in the market on the north side of Front Set? The one on the corner that closes up on the Saturday afternoon? Or the one on the south side that's open all the time and which has a really nice diner? Sounds good - I need to know Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 01:50 am
One of the cheaper tourism centers from Europe, but everybody who has been there will tell: it's really a good place for holidays.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 05:10 am
goodfielder wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Is that in the market on the north side of Front Set? The one on the corner that closes up on the Saturday afternoon? Or the one on the south side that's open all the time and which has a really nice diner? Sounds good - I need to know Very Happy

The one on the south side--and it's downstairs, one of the deli stands down there at the south end of the downstairs . . . then, just as you pass the stairs into the north end, there's a huge candy counter, at which one of the local high-quality chocolatiers sells their wares--be prepared, if you're a chocolate addict, and have a couple of hundred Canajun on ya . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 07:24 am
South side, upstairs, west wall <not the diner> - those ARE the verra verra best peameal bacon sandwiches.

There's one interesting cigar place down at Harbourfront.

Definitely let the Tranna crowd know if you're coming back to town, goodfielder. We can show ya a good time Cool
0 Replies