Teenage boys,why?

Reyn

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:08 pm
CrazyDiamond wrote:
Now, just to let you know, in case you already didn't, no one is going to be answering your question of 'why is smoking cool?' because there's no real answer.

Yes, I thought as much....which makes it all the more sadder.

Quote:
Some people think it's cool and some people don't; you obviously don't and most smokers accept that, please try to accept them, and their opinion, as smokers who think it is cool, if you can. Thanks.

I've never been in anybody's face about smoking except one of my daughters. When she was older, she thanked us for that.

People can do whatever they want to do, so long as my space is respected, and consequentially, I respect theirs.

I just find it so sad when I see a very young person smoke (whatever) and wonder about their future health. Is it really worth it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:10 pm
<squinting at Dag's picture>

That's not a recent picture, is it?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:32 pm
Reyn wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
But think back to the days of your youth. What did the cool guys in the movies do? Think of Bogart, Brando, James Dean, and ... um, and those other cool people who were in movies before I was born. Smoking cigarettes was considered cool, and has for decades.

I agree that images like that generated by various media perpetuate this idea of "coolness". I think it's a shame and wish the the power of media were put to more good use.

It's too bad that those who take up the habit don't see the eventual outcome down the road.

Well, the trend is certainly against cigs. They aren't seen on television or in the movies nearly as frequently as they once were. Remember the national TV news anchors used to smoke during the broadcasts. Can't imagine that happening in these days of enlightment.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:58 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Well, the trend is certainly against cigs. They aren't seen on television or in the movies nearly as frequently as they once were. Remember the national TV news anchors used to smoke during the broadcasts. Can't imagine that happening in these days of enlightment.

Yes, generally in the media it's not seen nearly as much as it was years ago.

It's hard to believe that people smoked on live TV years gone by, isn't it?

As I go about my various routes, I do see a lot of folks smoking outside their houses these days. That sure has changed.

As for young people starting smoking, still see lots of them.

Anybody got any stats on that age group?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 03:30 am
it wasn't all that long ago there were ashtrays in elevators
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 05:06 am
Elevators, Hell--doctors' offices ! ! !
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 08:01 am
I am a smoker and I don't find myself feeling "cool" because I smoke.... but when I was younger I felt cool.... you see it in the magazines and all that... the image is meant to look cool..
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 08:30 am
Setanta wrote:
Elevators, Hell--doctors' offices ! ! !

In 1980, when my first daughter was born, my wife had 3 smokers in her hospital room. She complained and it was basically poo pooed by doctors and nurses!!! Mad
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:05 am
Yeah, smokers on tv...

When you see Johnny Carson in the black and white days, smoking at his desk, isn't it just a teeny-weeny bit cool?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:05 am
Am I beating a dead horse?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:06 am
No, it just makes my eye water, cough and I have to pull out the air freshner! Mad
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:08 am
Smile
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 04:39 pm
its possible to look Cool cool Cool without the prop...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:43 pm
This is why I rock candy cigarettes. I achieve the cool look desired by the bitches, and I don't have to deal with smoke. And get to eat candy.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:48 pm
What about the rock candy lip cancer?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 07:33 pm
Gargamel wrote:
Yeah, smokers on tv...

When you see Johnny Carson in the black and white days, smoking at his desk, isn't it just a teeny-weeny bit cool?

yes it is
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:25 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
its possible to look Cool cool Cool without the prop...

I couldn't agree more!

For example, if one were to wear something green..... :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:33 pm
The thing about cool is

if you have to have it explained,

you aren't.

Now, I am presently so far from cool as to be what, surely not Hot! But I remember sensations of cool and have my own versions, albeit ever changing.

Some of this is about style.

Style of course doesn't matter re various real life values.

On the other hand, I had an old boss who said, famously to me, style is everything. He was and is not a stupid man.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:37 pm
Or if one was to wear one's pants extremely baggy and hanging low, barely covering one's butt. That would be super cool! :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:46 pm
I'm thinking it would be extremely "cool" to have a cutout in the butt of one's pants and let it all hang out. Very cool and the breeze would be great.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Teenage boys,why?
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/01/2024 at 01:33:59