• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 874 • Replies: 13
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 05:20 pm
Say what?

Then why did they just reinstate buffalo hunting outside the grounds of Yellowstone?

I am really confused.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:35 pm
Boomerang--

I believe the Yellowstone Bison are surrounded by ranchers with grazing rights. Bison not only eat grass, they provide a reservoir for several diseases that attack cattle.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 04:55 pm
Sure hope Freese and Gerrity are taking the bison's migratory instincts into account. It is very strong, and so are the bison.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:16 pm
Roger - good odds that they are not. We have witnessed several well-intentioned efforts of this sort regarding "natural restoration" of wildlife, and they almost always have disastrous results. The simple, unfortunate fact is that the people who most strongly advocate these measures are precisely those who know the least about them. If these bison came from Wind Cave, Brucellosis (which, by the way, is highly infectious to humans) would be a minimal risk compared to the Yellowstone herd. The problem is as Roger said - who maintains the fences and who manages the herd? Wind Cave and Custer State Park have solid herd health management programs for their bison. I see no way that such management practices will be continued in Phillips County.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 11:55 pm
We've been doing it around here for a very long time. Check out the link.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/elkisland/index_e.asp
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:08 pm
My point exactly, Ceili. If you have the proper people and expertise (as they do in Wind Cave and Custer State Park) management can be done. It's never easy, but it is possible. Given the idealistic, rather than realistic, mindset of the Ted Turners of this country, I remain much less than optimistic.
0 Replies

Turtlehead

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 03:48 am
The Bison were there first. Why don't all ranchers take up Bison instead of cattle?
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 05:28 pm
Ever work with bison? If so, your question would be answered real damned quickly! Besides being really tough, strong, and quick, they have the added advantage of being totally insane. Getting close to them is to take your life in your hands. Trust me!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 06:55 pm
CowDoc--

Thanks for the information.
0 Replies

Turtlehead

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:50 pm
CowDoc wrote:
Ever work with bison? If so, your question would be answered real damned quickly! Besides being really tough, strong, and quick, they have the added advantage of being totally insane. Getting close to them is to take your life in your hands. Trust me!

Having to fight for your hamburger isn't that bad. They could find away of farming them. They should only be farmed in their former range. As domestic cattle don't belong in America. Alot of people already farm them.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:07 am
Turtlehead--

Quote:
Having to fight for your hamburger isn't that bad

Are you advocating Single Combat between Bison and Shopper or Bison and Diner at every supermarket and restaurant in the country?
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:33 am
You try slapping one of them critters between two buns. I guarantee you'll be buffaloed.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:39 am
Will they allow hunting of the herd? That's the answer.

They say because of the location, tourists won't go there because it is too difficult to get to. Well, that won't deter hunters. There's your tourist base.

Excluding hunt management of the herd will be the downfall of the project. That herd will need to be culled at least once a year, especially with no predators to really worry about. Just wait and see.
0 Replies