Post Notification

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:25 am
I have requested post reply notification from many threads. But, I get the notices for a while then they stop, and I don't get them again. I have to request all over again. This happens often. Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 932 • Replies: 17
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:19 am
Does it help to request again? I haven't tried that.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:24 am
I turn on the email updates again, but then they turn off again, especially when the forum is acting up or a thread is very busy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:26 am
Angelique, here's a response to several of your questions:

This site started tiny, a hobby of the site owner, Craven de Kere. It got bigger. Then it got bigger. Then it got WAAAAY bigger. This required bigger and bigger servers and more and more money out of pocket. Various ways of getting that money have been implemented, most notably advertising, but this is still a hobby that costs him rather than profiting him.

The site, continuing to get bigger and bigger and BIGGER, needs a new, larger server. Craven noted on the subscriber forum that he will be doing that transfer, to a new server, by the end of this month. Presumably a lot of these problems will go away then.

I think it's also possible that, knowing that the move is coming right up, Craven is letting a lot of routine maintenance go by, things he would normally fix but would be a waste of time in advance of the move.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:34 am
Hmmm, a new server, kewl.

Oh my goodness, transfer, not all these threads?

Will we loose the posts points we have already accumulated?

Thanks sozobe
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:37 am
It's already been done several times, and nothing is noticable except that the site is much faster and various problems disappear.

Relax, girlie. ;-)
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:47 am
Sometimes threads disappear. It has happen in poetry forums. This place is a word clutter with many thread subjects repeated.

Now if you elect me CoolI won't allow repeated threads, we will have archives, better stricter rules of behavior, I will bring back banning to Lordies dungeon Exclamation Laughing Laughing Laughing ROFLMAO I will too, and a few other things. Exclamation Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:49 am
THat sounds like a call to rally up a new round of financial support for Craven. I subscribe automatically - and I forgot how I did it. Soz, do you remember where one goes if he/she/it wants to make a donation or subscribe to donate periodically?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:50 am
sheesh, what's it with me today... it does not sound like a call - it sounds like there SHOULD be a call to rally up a new round of donations...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:53 am
Oh, that's not what I meant, sorry. (He's indicated that he hates hates hates the calls for financial support stuff.) My point was just that he indicated on that forum (but not on the public boards yet) that a move would be coming up.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:55 am
I going to check that out, and see what I get for my money. I feel I contribute already with my time, and posting. After all if there were no people posting there would be no forum. Be back going to take a look.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:05 am
Just a chat room, and..."The use of the chat room is subject to the computer setup you run and is simply a bonus provided as is to the Subscriber's Forum members."

And if you have the wrong computer, you get nothing. What computers can't take the chat program?

So, I figure *counting fingers* I'm going to get the same thing I get in the forum. Confused
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:06 am
Laughing
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:08 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:18 am
sozobe wrote:
(He's indicated that he hates hates hates the calls for financial support stuff.)

really? most of the good programming on my PBS station takes place during money-raising drives. Razz
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:23 am
ugh, i had a series of word mishaps today - i really shouldn't be writing at all today.

what i meant is, it sounds like craven could use more money right now for all the changes. so i just wanted to dust off the subscriber option for the public eye.

it's no more, AE, than a chat room for those that pay for a2k. but that's not the purpose. purpose is to keep a2k up and running and cover all the maintenance costs.

coffee. a serious killer cup of mean black coffee.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:32 am
I have a question for sozobe. When you say a new server, does that mean a different looking forum too?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:35 am
Already answered that, AE. Everything exactly the same, just faster.

That's going by previous moves, dunno anything in particular about the upcoming one.
0 Replies