If Chile, why not Argentina

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 06:43 pm
Sitting back and watching the riots this week, a thought occured... Why is it that the same U.S. inspired policies so reviled by Argentina have worked so brilliantly in Chile?

I'd like some informed feedback because I'm puzzled.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 560 • Replies: 9
No top replies

yankeecat

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 07:57 am
This is very curious to me... so many big mouths in TV last few days yet no response to this obvious question?

I wonder what that means?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 10:06 am
That means that you have no clue about the current situation in neither Chile nor Argentina, yankeecat.
0 Replies

yankeecat

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 12:32 pm
Well let's see, Chile is the most properous and stable democracy in latin america while Argentina is a bankrupt state next door with numerous failed governments recently. What is it I missed, or are you just another ignoramus who likes to post without any idea of what he is talking about?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 12:36 pm
Well, yankeecat, what is Chile's prosperity based upon?
0 Replies

yankeecat

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 12:39 pm
The same policies that are being blamed for Argentina's failures.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 12:42 pm
Huh? What policies would that be?
0 Replies

yankeecat

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 12:45 pm
The policies the imbeciles who were protesting in Argentina were against, you know those...
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 12:57 pm
Obviously, you've got no clue. Chile's wealth and prosperity is mostly owned to the fact that they have huge amounts of natural resources like copper, silver, gold, coal, sulphur etc.

Chile's economy is largely dependent on export, which makes up more than a third of its GDP. With the exploding prices for the resources Chile is exporting, the revenues went up by 9 billion USD in 2004 alone.

Argentina, in the other hand, is largely dependent on the export of agricultural products. 31% of Argentina's exports are end-consumer agricultural products, 25% are sold for further processing.

Oh, and by the way, Chile tries to cut back on this "sell-out policy", which dates back to the days when Chile still was a dictatorship under Pinochet, who only came to power with the help of the United States, as we all know.
0 Replies

yankeecat

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 04:02 am
Argentina is a much richer in terms of natural resources that is Chile. In fact, often in the past Argentina has been wealthier than Chile.

What is really funny is that you (unintentionally) prove my point for me. You state, "Chile's economy is largely dependent on export," well, exactly, that's the whole point of free trade which Chile has embraced and Argentina has resisted. Chile has a free trade agreement with the U.S., Argentina doesn't.

Thanks for making both my points (free trade is good and the protestors are ignoramus' and idiots) for me.
0 Replies