Religion vs Faith --- Go beyond the Horizon

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 07:48 am
More and more I feel, the way you believe in God and the way a religion been set up may not be the same. However, religion has its power to inforce its doctrines by alter, by kill, by threat by judge… by many of I would refer to as negative ways instead of positive ones. Me as a person who trust my very nature of goodness, also question how TRUE a religion could provide. What religion do i want? A religion on love and forgiveness bases of one on judgment/punishment bases? One of mercy and grace or one of cruelness? One genuinely believe in God's all good almighty of share God's power and capability with Satan? You may say both. To me, the ultimate of God's righteousness is one: love and forgiveness. That is the origin, that is the final. That is why God created man, that is where God bring man back. below are words i wrote, words in my heart which i believe will be with me till i die:
Quote:
People often quote stories from the Old Testament in which God also
angry, kills and destroys.
I don't have big problem on that because I think God is the creator and
owner of this world and to this world only His will counts. However people
would say then God is not all good and almighty, if so He could have used
ways without killing and destroying.
I believe God is all good and almighty. The point is, I try my best to see a
God that is BEYOND the horizon. I believe God exists in different layers.
On layers more closer to mankind, the less perfect He seems to be; but The Perfection is out there …….
Forgive me God. I know it is not so good for me as your creature to try to
analyze your being. I just feel I need this to soundly found my foundation
of faith for you. It is by this way I firmly believe and trust that you are
truly all good and almighty.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 826 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jstark

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:17 am
Your characterization of God is similar to what the Gnostics believe(d) about God.

From Gnosis: The Nature & History of Gnosticism (p. 58), Kurt Rudolph wrote:

Imbedded in the "dualism on a monastic background" is the doctrin of the God in Gnosis, which is determined above all by the idea of the "unkown God" beyond all that is visible or sensible, and incorporates a "fullness" (Pleroma) of angels and other heavenly beings, be they personified ideas (abtractions) or hypostasis. A prominant role is played by the creation of the world (cosmogony), which is intended to offer an explanation for the present condition of man, remote from God, and therefore occupies a considerable space in the texts.

The Gnostics believe that humanity is remote from the True God, what they call the Uknown God or the Alien God. It is our remoteness from this being that is the source of our suffering. They belive that the God of the Jews and Christianity is a false God and is holding this world in slavery. That is how they sidestep the atrocities committed by God in the Bible.

Gnostic writings are a great source of early Christian viewpoints. They were much more prolific and varied in their writings than what became church canon.

Kind Regards
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:19 am
If you have a love for your God, why do you need a religion? Just be yourself, do what is right by YOUR judgement, and you will do fine.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 12:24 pm
And what if it was God who established a religion?
0 Replies

lovemanforgod

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 01:07 pm
what if it it God that establish a relition?
i believe anything in this universe is different from God Himself.
0 Replies

lovemanforgod

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 01:09 pm
Thanks to jstark for the sharing : )
jstark wrote:
Your characterization of God is similar to what the Gnostics believe(d) about God.

From Gnosis: The Nature & History of Gnosticism (p. 58), Kurt Rudolph wrote:

Imbedded in the "dualism on a monastic background" is the doctrin of the God in Gnosis, which is determined above all by the idea of the "unkown God" beyond all that is visible or sensible, and incorporates a "fullness" (Pleroma) of angels and other heavenly beings, be they personified ideas (abtractions) or hypostasis. A prominant role is played by the creation of the world (cosmogony), which is intended to offer an explanation for the present condition of man, remote from God, and therefore occupies a considerable space in the texts.

The Gnostics believe that humanity is remote from the True God, what they call the Uknown God or the Alien God. It is our remoteness from this being that is the source of our suffering. They belive that the God of the Jews and Christianity is a false God and is holding this world in slavery. That is how they sidestep the atrocities committed by God in the Bible.

Gnostic writings are a great source of early Christian viewpoints. They were much more prolific and varied in their writings than what became church canon.

Kind Regards
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 01:27 pm
lovemanforgod,

Did you mean to reply? You copied my post but then added nothing.
0 Replies

Deler

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 01:46 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
If you have a love for your God, why do you need a religion? Just be yourself, do what is right by YOUR judgement, and you will do fine.

Man doesn't tend to use good judgement. Heres something I found that I liked

Quote:
Take a shot, put your cross back on. This is my new life philosophy. In drinking this alcohol I understand that it is only as destructive as I make it and god will see me for this. God has put forth strict laws which must be followed however he doesn't judge when these laws are not followed, no he has a much more effective means of enforceing that which is good. He puts forth; though shall not covet thy neighbors wife and should one covet that which be a close friend, to him he shall in turn be punished by the world and himself rather then god, he shall suffer the woes of existence put in place which will in turn cast him into damnation, a liveing hell of turmoil with thy neighbors wifes husband and the chance of adultry which opens a can of worms in more then ones life. Now man given no guidence with a lustfull forsaken object placed in front of him will turn to his selfish unsightfull needs and take what is in front of him without thought about what lays ahead. Man is ever looking at the ground sometimes running as fast as he can and god is trying his hardest to clear the path and be the voice telling him to duck theres a branch or swerve theres a hole. However man in his imperfection is not always wise or quick to react and in some cases enjoys following a trail of candy placed on the ground. God understands this and is forgiveing to those who have a sweet tooth, however he must show his vengeance in partnership with a desire to keep man moveing ahead. He must throw static guideance to our souls and keep us treading on for nike is the word on the tongues of our destiny, victory is what god created us for and he will not see us fail
0 Replies

lovemanforgod

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 01:51 pm
yes, i meant to post a thank you which is on the subject lin
i have read Resel's book on the history of the west phylosophy, man, that is so good. i love phylosophy. but before i surrenderred to Christ, i gave up EVERYTHING in my own thought first. well, honestly speaking when i accepted my Lord i knew little about the Holy Bible. : ) now i have read quite a bit and have issues and i think a lot and feel that i have reached a higher level than i was. google my name and you will have a little supprise. Surprised
again, thank you for the sharing!
0 Replies