Catholic weekly bares bottom

nimh

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 07:57 am
Quote:
Catholic weekly bares bottom

ANSA
2005-11-03

LINK TO PICTURE (because I'm not sure A2K will allow what Famiglia Cristiana allowed...)
Famiglia Cristiana raises eyebrows with bold advert

(ANSA) - Rome, November 3 - Italy's best-selling weekly, the Catholic-oriented Famiglia Cristiana, is being looked at in a new light this week after it published its first ever picture of a naked female bottom.

The magazine's unprecedented move did not go unnoticed in Italy, partly thanks to national newspapers, most of which carried an article on it on Thursday. One daily even put the news on its front page.

The picture, part of an advertisement for bathroom ventilators, showed the steamed up glass of a shower cubicle through which the central part of a woman's body could be seen from behind.

Underneath the image, the advertiser invited readers to install one of their ventilators, saying: "If you want to see clearly, call your electrician." Sister Paola, a popular nun who often appears on Italian television, said the publication of the advert went against the magazine's longstanding tradition of wholesome sobriety.

"I wouldn't like it to be the start of something that goes further, of a movement towards a loss of values," she added.

Cardinal Ersilio Tonini, the emeritus archbishop of Ravenna, told the press that he had not seen the picture but he understood the "perplexity" it might cause.

Speaking about adverts in the media in general, he said: "A certain restraint should be respected and when in doubt it's better to choose delicacy." Famiglia Cristiana's director, Don Antonio Sciortino, appeared extremely impatient with all the attention that his magazine was receiving just because of an advert.

"People are making a big thing out of this when really it doesn't merit it. We haven't breached a taboo or reversed our policy. I don't think a female figure behind dirty, steamed up glass can cause particular agitation," he said. He admitted that the advert was on the borderline of what his magazine would publish and said a few subscribers might be slightly bothered by it. "If so we'll start a debate among readers," he added.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 611 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 08:02 am
The human body is a beautiful thing created by God. Why do we automatically assume that any nudity is dirty and wrong? This advertisement is not dirty or obscene in any way and the humor is cute, not lewd. I don't think even the Christian magazine should be ashamed of it.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 08:06 am
I agree with Bella. They are making a big deal just over that picture? Shocked Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 08:12 am
This is just awful, I'm thinking the end is near.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 08:19 am
*giggles*
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 08:21 am
Bella Dea wrote:
The human body is a beautiful thing created by God. Why do we automatically assume that any nudity is dirty and wrong? This advertisement is not dirty or obscene in any way and the humor is cute, not lewd. I don't think even the Christian magazine should be ashamed of it.

Talk to the Protestants, they're the ones who think nudity is dirty. Christians in general are bad enough, but the Prods are the scourge of nature.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 09:37 am
Bella Dea wrote:
The human body is a beautiful thing created by God.

The female one, anyway...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 09:21 pm
Oh, the male one, too!

Well, most of them, anyway.

Er, well, some of them.

Come to think of it...have you ever been to a nude beach? It makes you think the whole "human body is a beautiful creation" thing has been seriously overrated.

At least, that's what this "scourge of nature" thinks. <glaring at Setanta>
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 09:25 pm
Setanta wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

Talk to the Protestants, they're the ones who think nudity is dirty. Christians in general are bad enough, but the Prods are the scourge of nature.

Oh f-ended
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 09:28 pm
barely oh-fended I mean like in the end as in rear
0 Replies