HELLO GUESTS, WHAT ATTRACTED YOU TO able2know.com ?

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:59 pm
Our membership is now above 48,000. A number of us from the original 300 or so still interact on a regular basis...names are known...personalities noted. BUT...I don't know what attracts the newer members. Is it the information sharing? A sense that we are properly organized? And supervised? DO YOU MIND SHARING YOUR THOUGHTS?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,451 • Replies: 48
No top replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 11:05 pm
Hmmmm...no takers. I really am interested. I'd like to contrast it with my feelings in the early days.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 06:20 am
It was Walter H.

No, actually as I have indicated in the past it was a searing (or is that seering?) search for information on something which I have now long forgotten about and in a Google search I got an A2K hit and the rest, as they say, is histrionics. I mean history.

Additionally if you look at a large portion of the 48.000+ people who have signed and registered there are thousands who have never posted or have posted only a few (less than 25) times. I think a number of people find this site and are interested on a particular topic but have no real desire to stick around long, it was just the initial visit.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 06:38 am
The "Guests"
[quote]Additionally if you look at a large portion of the 48.000+ people who have signed and registered there are thousands who have never posted or have posted only a few (less than 25) times. I think a number of people find this site and are interested on a particular topic but have no real desire to stick around long, it was just the initial visit.[/quote]

I just logged on to put the above info here. Sturgis beat me to it.

Actually, I was searching for the Membership List when I saw how many Guests were "just looking" or . . . . Does that Membership List no longer exist?

When I see "questions" that I might be interested in answering, I usually look first to see if the "author" has bothered to put up an avatar, a location (however creative), and filled out the profile. If they haven't "bothered," most often neither do I!
[/color]

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/chaplin.movie.gif
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 07:34 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60610

Looks like the member list has been removed.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 09:22 am
Sturgis, I tend to agree with you and Charlie. It's a different world, isn't it?
Also, what most newbies may not know is our original connection to the NYTimes. <tear>
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 04:32 pm
Original "landing" on A2K
Yes, I "landed on" A2K after being on ABUZZ for a long, long, long time. At that illustrious site - whilst it was deteriorating - someone invited us to come over to A2K. Probably, most of the folks with a "2002" on their tag arrived on the "same boat": "refugees"(?) from a "sinking ship" (alas!). We DID have a good time while it lasted. But, hey, we're glad to be here! And, a mighty thanks goes out to the folks who've continued to work hard so that we can enjoy these Message Boards! Hear! Hear! Hear!!![/color]
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 05:00 pm
To paraphrase Charli, I was one of the last on the deck of the sinking ship that was Abuzz. I jumped reluctantly to the life raft offered by A2K
(great accolades, thank you!).

It was a pleasant surprize to reconnect with such Abuzz notables as Nobody, Farmerman, Joanne Dorel, Miklos, Osso and many others
also on board here at A2K.........
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 09:53 pm
<smile>...ah yes...
0 Replies

ripley

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:50 pm
well i guess i'll be the first less than 10 posts to answer this. I just literally found this site accidentally when i was searching for something. I then looked about and found a thread i wanted to answer to. I then looked wider on this site to see what this place was about and was happy to see that thre is a variety of topics on here covering all walks of life. So i thought why not, lets register.

So here i am. And i'm here to stay too. I've yet to get a "feel" of this board however and i've yet to see how members are, so i guess i'll finish this post to go wander and find out.

I need to look for a newbie section now!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:58 pm
ripley wrote:

Here Ya Go

Welcome to A2K - need any help with the bells and whistles here, just holler; someody will have an answer for you. You might wanna check out the A2K FAQ and/or the A2K Help forum - click either term down in my signature box, and you;ll be taken right there. Enjoy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:00 am
I was a friend of Craven's.....and that brought me here.
0 Replies

ripley

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 01:01 am
timberlandko wrote:
ripley wrote:

Here Ya Go

Welcome to A2K - need any help with the bells and whistles here, just holler; someody will have an answer for you. You might wanna check out the A2K FAQ and/or the A2K Help forum - click either term down in my signature box, and you;ll be taken right there. Enjoy.

wow thanks there Smile you dont udnerstand how hard it is navigating on this new site! That newbie thread, hidden amongst all these sections!!!! I will check out the rules and faq [just so i know which rules to break Razz - just kidding]. Thanks again mate Smile i think i'll stop now before i got off topic.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:56 pm
ripley,
Welcome, many of the regulars were among the first 100 so to join. Those who responded to your comment were members of that group. If you frequent A2K, you will get to know their A2K names. And thanks for answering the question; I'm always looking for patterns.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 03:04 pm
Good grief, it's Mapleleaf!!!
0 Replies

gbob

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:28 am
I had a computer problem put it in google and got a link to able2know i stay because the help is good and the response time is excellent most people are friendly as well.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 04:38 pm
gbob,
Thanks, the feedback is appreciated. It also lets us know that we haven't lost our focus with the addition of 51,000 members. gbob, I hope to read you again Smile
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 04:45 pm
dlowan wrote:
I was a friend of Craven's.....and that brought me here.

WAS? Shocked

Hi, Mapleleaf! I don't bump into you as much here. I miss that, Always good to see ya.

Welcome to all the newbies. We like fresh blood. Very Happy
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 04:46 pm
I came here because I was too sensitive for Abuzz.....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 04:46 pm
Squinney--

Fresh blood?

You sound carniverous--or at least weary of Puppy Chow.
0 Replies