Well wishes and sympathy for our Letty

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 07:38 pm
A donation in the name of Santa Bud has been made to the music program here .... click

Quote:
ABOUT THE MUSIC SCHOOL

Dixon Hall first opened its doors 76 years ago, in the winter of 1929, as a soup kitchen during the Great Depression. Today, it provides training, shelter, social services and cultural and recreational programs to residents of public housing and to homeless people in Downtown East Toronto.

Regent Park, located a block north of Dixon Hall, is a dynamic and challenged community where the mean household income is $16,500 and 75% of the children live below the poverty line.

27 years ago, local residents and Dixon Hall started a music school to provide children positive reinforcement through music. Since its creation, the Dixon Hall Music School has provided over 3,000 children with music lessons, many of whom have been among the prizewinners at the Kiwanis Music Festivals.

Thomson Egbo-Egbo is a shining example of what is possible. As a resident of Regent Park, Thomson started at the Music School when he was 5 years old. Today Thomson's music career is on a fast track, studying Music at Humber College and performing for music giants like Quincy Jones.

Current enrollment at the Music School exceeds 200 students, with over 150 names on the waiting list. The cost to bring each new name off of the waiting list is $600/student/year. Students have access to:

* half-hour, private lessons (students pay $2/lesson)
* instruments to rent for as low as $2/ month
* free tickets to professional concerts
* thirteen different subject areas are taught by committed, dedicated professional teachers
* week long Summer Music Camp away from the inner-city environment.

I asked that my donation go toward an instrument.

I think Bud would like to know that he's keeping young people in music.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 07:39 pm
Ah, leave it to dys to keep Letty from becoming lacrymose.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 07:50 pm
Beth, Bud would love that, honey. He told me that he learned to play bass by reading the bass line as his mother played hymns. I am most appreciative because people he never knew have done so much to honor his memory. What better way than by encouraging a child to play. Hoorah for Dixon Hall.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 07:58 pm
Ehbeth,

What a lovely thing to do. I grew up in Regent Park when it was first built some 50 years ago and can appreciate the work that Dixon Hall is doing.

It is even more special that you have done this in memory of Letty's dear husband.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 08:09 pm
That's neat, Intrepid.
Small world.

Years ago, a room-mate of mine worked in the men's shelter at Dixon Hall, and took music lessons there. They offer them at a regular rate to people who live outside of the area - to help subsidize the program.
I always wanted to do something for Dixon Hall - so many good programs there.

When I was mulling over what to do in Bud's memory, I remembered Dixon Hall.

It's a very good place.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 08:18 pm
It must be, honey. Well I will say goodnight. Off to Orlando tomorrow.

Thank you all once again, and somewhere, Bud thanks you.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 10:21 pm
I was thinking of you today, Letty. Good Holidays to you and your family!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 11:06 pm
Letty wrote:
lacrymose.

Ah, another word that Reyn doesn't know! It's going in the "word for the day" thread. :wink:

Hi Letty! Hope all is well and your trip to Orlando goes smoothly. By the way, my uncle lives in Winter Park. He just recently lost a partner, too.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 05:05 am
Wandel, you are a kind man, and I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Reyn, Glad I could add to your vocabulary Razz . I hope your uncle has good friends and support as I have had.

Love to you all.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 02:51 pm
Happy Holidays, Letty. May your memories keep you smiling.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 06:16 pm
Letty wrote:
I hope your uncle has good friends and support as I have had.

It doesn't sound like he does. A few here and there.

We've been encouraging him to come to BC for a visit, and possibly move back. He lived here more than 30 years ago. I hope he does. He's well-loved by the whole family.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 09:43 am
Noddy, Christmas day has been better than I thought it would be. Thank you, dear.

Reyn, often when someone loses a loved one, it is difficult to relocate.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 09:44 am
Letty
Hugs and kisses, dear Letty.

BBB Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 09:46 am
Ah, dear BBB. and the same to you, my friend
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 10:03 am
Letty,

I hope the holidays bring you peace and joyful memories!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 10:22 am
Thank you, Momma. You are a kind woman.

Well, I must log out now. Creatures are beginning to stir. <smile>
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:31 pm
Dear Letty ~ I came to A2K after your husband died and did not see this until today, even though I joined you on the Where Am I? thread.

From one widow (albeit a little further down the road than you) to another, I wish you peace & comfort today. If things get too much, remember to breathe, and when you need, to escape with no apologies. This is a time to care for yourself, to receive. If I could, I'd give you the gift of space and time today, to deal with the stew of emotions that are undoubtedly present.

To all the wonderful people who have supported Letty on this thread and others, and will continue to support her: Never worry about what to say ~ someone widowed needs their grief simply acknowledged (and flowers are very good), and lots of hugs, even cyber-hugs.

(((Letty)))
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:44 pm
Thinking of you, Letty, and reiterating Tico's
wishes of peace and comfort for you.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 01:09 pm
Tico Ti, I know that you understand how it feels, then. How dear of you to wish me well. Hey, it just occurred to me that I am an orphan and a widow. <smile>

shepaints, it gives me comfort to hear from you. Paint something along the jazz genre for me. I will feel it in my mind.

I have been pampered entirely too much by the kids here in Orlando. Isn't it wonderful?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 01:24 pm
Letty wrote:
Reyn, often when someone loses a loved one, it is difficult to relocate.

Yes, I suspect so, but we are still hopeful. Many friends are gone.

We will see.

Hope your Christmas is fine.

Lunch here in about an hour.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 09:45:00