Joe (and he's off!) Nation

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 10:04 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Lord save me from players who only tackle perfectly.

Lord save me from refs who never played the game.

Sorry Tico, I can't save you at this moment in time, as I'm being closely followed by seventeen desire filled team mates.

Well .... when you get a moment ....
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 10:12 am
Cripes Joe-that's seventeen stone in Imperial.

Go vegan man.Nothing off animals or palm trees.Eat as much as you like but not too much sugar.I'm six foot and 160.Not an ounce of fat anywhere and I drink 4 pints every night.Stops your hair falling out too and keeps you arteries in good nick.12 months.A bit of exercise.Not too much.
Float past Tico's defensive lunges like a shadow.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 10:23 am
spendius wrote:
Cripes Joe-that's seventeen stone in Imperial.

Go vegan man.Nothing off animals or palm trees.Eat as much as you like but not too much sugar.I'm six foot and 160.Not an ounce of fat anywhere and I drink 4 pints every night.Stops your hair falling out too and keeps you arteries in good nick.12 months.A bit of exercise.Not too much.
Float past Tico's defensive lunges like a shadow.

You're a twig. Okay, a twig with clean arteries. Little forwards like yourself usually just bounce off me, but I'd be afraid you'd get seriously hurt when you received one of my typical tackles.

I hover around 225 (6'4" -- No, you won't win the ball in the air either. Wink ).

How many stone is that?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 10:52 am
Ah, real men bragging about their size.

I've missed that around here lately. Wink
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 11:07 am
Tico wrote-

Quote:
I hover around 225 (6'4" -- No, you won't win the ball in the air either. ).

How many stone is that?

Too many I would say.About 16.I think "hover" is stretching it a bit.Rooted to the spot.I'd have you knackered by half-time.Weight stops trains my old man used to say.

Champion's League next two nights.Can you get that?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 11:42 am
spendius wrote:
Tico wrote-

Quote:
I hover around 225 (6'4" -- No, you won't win the ball in the air either. ).

How many stone is that?

Too many I would say.About 16.I think "hover" is stretching it a bit.Rooted to the spot.I'd have you knackered by half-time.Weight stops trains my old man used to say.

"Weight stops forwards," I always say.

If I'm "hovering" at 16 stone, Joe's 17 stone must have been his former weight, not his current weight. (Well done, Joe, BTW.)

spendi wrote:
Champion's League next two nights.Can you get that?

Only a little ... I don't have satellite, just regular cable, which carries precious little in the way of soccer. But the Chelsea match will be on in a couple of hours.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 03:27 pm
Get this Tico-

I saw a film today on Toecutter's Den of Ronaldinio trying out a new pair of boots on the training ground.They were in a leather carrying case set in velvet like jewels.He got them on and jumped around a bit and then he got a ball and started doing tricks with it.He slowly worked his way over to about ten yards outside the penalty box without the ball touching the ground and then he smacked it against the bar from where it bounced back to him and he did a few more tricks and then smacked it against the bar again and he did it four times and still the ball was never grounded.

I don't know if it was trick photography or not but it was certainly good to watch.

If you love football you should get satellite if it gives you what we get.Them there liberals hate Mr Murdoch but us sports fans love him.The coverage is fabulous.Nothing but experts.English TV must be the best there is.Have you ever seen Fotballer's Wives.That's hilarious.I heard a rumour that Joan Collins is in the next series.WOW!Let's hope so.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:14 pm
If it wasn't trick photography, that's amazing.

I don't watch enough TV to make it worthwhile. Plus, that would only make me want to watch more TV, and that's probably not a good thing. Would be nice to see more soccer though. Really not much on TV here, unless its World Cup time.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:27 pm
I was reading about these smallish defibrillators that one can carry with one. As soon as one feels the end is near, one merely hits the button and BLAM!! a quik start for those cold mornings. I did the math and found that you and I are about similar ages (Unless you skipped fewer grades)
The defibrillators will be the next big thing for us aging BBers.Everybody is gonna want one and soon, technology will be so advanced that a defib unit will be part of a normal cell phone.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:57 pm
Reach out, reach out and zap someone...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:07 am
Quote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Quote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:
Lord save me from players who only tackle perfectly.

Lord save me from refs who never played the game.

Oh yes. yes.

I grew up in a neighborhood of Irish aircraft workers, German machinists and French Canadian housebuilders. We played more soccer than baseball. My mother's family was full of Kerry footballers and I didn't know the game was called anything else until I got to junior high. We played Realies (eleven on a side, rules, a ref and all that.) and Everys (Twenty kids, maybe more, on a side, pandemonium, but one learns to dribble very well against six or seven tacklers.)

There was major outrage when the new Catholic High School I qualified to enter elected to play league baseball instead of soccer as God intended.
===
Running stats: I looked my time - official 58:59 Place 5035 out of 5604 and 122 out of 139 in my age group. Well at the back. I saw runners with 10000 plus numbers on their bibs, I don't know what happened to the other 4400 folks.

The NYRR club LINK age grades results, something new for me, and they give you an net time, which is the actual time it took you to run the course, not the race.
My net time was 55:16 a pace of 11:03, plenty of room for improvement.
My age graded time (go geezerheads!! ) 45:13. What does that mean?

All of the age group winners, including Antonio Gosco, 88 UNITED K 52:35 beat me badly. Eighty eight years old... .

One stat I found interesting: if you are a single male looking for women, which I am not, there were 463 men in the 20-29 age group, there were 838 women... .

Joe(off to the treadmill)Nation
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:26 am
I'm going to give you major points for trying, Joe.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:33 am
Have you signed up for the 10K in December yet, Joe?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 09:42 am
Tico-

See what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=aRHk8ol0vTw

You need to be on Broadband.

The clip has been shown on Sky News
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 10:33 am
spendius wrote:
Tico-

See what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=aRHk8ol0vTw

You need to be on Broadband.

The clip has been shown on Sky News

Hmm. Well, he's obviously very skilled .... but I did notice they pulled the camera way back for the tricks where he knocked it off the crossbar. If they manipulated the video, I couldn't tell. It looked real enough.

I clearly need those shoes.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:32 pm
J_B wrote:
Have you signed up for the 10K in December yet, Joe?

Joe, I just picked up an entry form for an 8K turkey trot/walk on Thanksgiving morning. I'll sign up for this if you sign up for your 10K, deal?

I'm leaving town for the rest of the week and can't start training until Monday but I'll hit the pavement first thing Monday morning. In the meantime I'll try to take some long walks along the beach.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:02 pm
Joe mused:

Quote:
Well at the back. I saw runners with 10000 plus numbers on their bibs, I don't know what happened to the other 4400 folks.

You mean you didn't see the trucks, picking up the 4400 folks who had fallen by the wayside?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 08:20 pm
Noddy :heh heh.

Okay, J_B, signing up now.

Joe(here we go again)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 07:02 am
How was the beach, J_B? You rat.

Got my registration in for the Dec 11 10K.

Had an off week of training. Just a couple of short trots and one good one yesterday. (weather is perfect)

I have a little knot in my left foot that I am stretching out. Feels much better today.

Joe(I can't wear my old sweatpants. They are too big.)Nation

PS NY Marathon tomorrow...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 03:16 pm
If the Road to Hell is paved with Good Intentions, the Road to Heaven may well be edged with too-large sweatpants.

Way to go.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/20/2024 at 08:35:55