This PC stuff is going to make me to shoot myself

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:14 am
How ridiculous is this?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/10/28/student_ghosts_unmasked_in_newton/

NEWTON -- When students at Underwood Elementary School walk to their classrooms on Monday, there will be no witches, SpongeBob SquarePants, or Johnny Damons there to greet them.

The school's principal said yesterday he acceded to the complaints of a handful of parents who said that because the school's traditional Halloween celebrations offended their religious beliefs, they would not send their children to school if the revelry continued this year.

''Not everyone is going to agree with the decision, and I really understand that," said principal David Castelline, , who last year grew a beard and dressed up as Johnny Damon. ''But I felt the goal was really important to make it a respectful and open and welcoming place for all members of our community."

Castelline, who met yesterday with the Parent Teacher Organization to explain his decision, said three teachers told him they had children in their classes who were not going to come to school if the Halloween celebration was held. The celebration, which has been going on for at least 14 years, involves teachers dressing up and lining the hallways and children making Halloween-related arts and crafts.

''When I hear that kids won't come to school because of what we're doing on Halloween, I have a problem with that," Castelline said.

Of nearly a dozen parents interviewed outside the school yesterday, none supported the decision to cancel the celebration. Several parents said they are considering staging a protest by donning costumes on Monday and standing in front of the school.

''If they can cancel Halloween, what about Columbus Day and Valentines Day? We get Jewish holidays and Christmas off, so what's next?" asked Andrea Newman, whose two sons attend the school. ''All it takes is one person to be offended, and our school will ban it."

Castelline said the school instead planned to hold a ''celebration of fall" next Friday. Later in the year, he said, the school plans a costume celebration in which teachers and perhaps students will be encouraged to dress as their favorite literary characters.

No one in Massachusetts is tracking Halloween school celebrations, said a spokeswoman for the state Department of Education, so it is difficult to track how many schools forgo the holiday.

Joel Packer, spokesman for the National Education Association, said the controversy is part of a contentious nationwide trend in which schools are trying to shorten or cancel holiday celebrations, either for religious reasons or to put more time into classroom work. Halloween is one of the few holidays that can fall when children are in school, he said, which puts school districts more on the spot.

A recent survey issued by a shopping mall management company found that 23 percent of Americans planned to take part in a school Halloween party this year.

Wilhelmina Ripple --author of several holiday books, including ''Halloween School Parties: What Do I Do?" --said school districts nationwide are changing the name of parties to make the celebrations more palatable for those who want to avoid having school-endorsed ghouls and goblins.

Parents interviewed yesterday said they didn't mind not being able to celebrate the holiday, but they complained that it was political correctness run amok, particularly at a school where one-fifth of the student body is nonwhite and the website is in both English and Chinese.

''The beauty of having diversity is to celebrate different cultures and holidays," said Renee Levin. ,

''It's not good," said her 7-year-old son, Jake, who is planning to dress up as a Ninja and go trick-or-treating after school. ''Last year we got a Halloween party and it was really fun."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,419 • Replies: 54
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:17 am
That's dumb.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:20 am
What's interesting though is how who wields PC is changing -- I mean, in the 80's it would've been a kid asking for Halloween off because he's Wiccan or whatever, and now it's Christians (one would assume?) offended at Halloween. That's where it's going more and more.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:21 am
This isn't PC... this is pandering to the new wave of fundametalist religion in this country.... and it stinks.

Quote:
Several parents said they are considering staging a protest by donning costumes on Monday and standing in front of the school.

This is what people need to do all over this country... stand up and protest.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:26 am
Re: This PC stuff is going to make me to shoot myself
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
How ridiculous is this?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/10/28/student_ghosts_unmasked_in_newton/

NEWTON -- When students at Underwood Elementary School walk to their classrooms on Monday, there will be no witches, SpongeBob SquarePants, or Johnny Damons there to greet them.

The school's principal said yesterday he acceded to the complaints of a handful of parents who said that because the school's traditional Halloween celebrations offended their religious beliefs, they would not send their children to school if the revelry continued this year.

''Not everyone is going to agree with the decision, and I really understand that," said principal David Castelline, , who last year grew a beard and dressed up as Johnny Damon. ''But I felt the goal was really important to make it a respectful and open and welcoming place for all members of our community."

Castelline, who met yesterday with the Parent Teacher Organization to explain his decision, said three teachers told him they had children in their classes who were not going to come to school if the Halloween celebration was held. The celebration, which has been going on for at least 14 years, involves teachers dressing up and lining the hallways and children making Halloween-related arts and crafts.

''When I hear that kids won't come to school because of what we're doing on Halloween, I have a problem with that," Castelline said.

Of nearly a dozen parents interviewed outside the school yesterday, none supported the decision to cancel the celebration. Several parents said they are considering staging a protest by donning costumes on Monday and standing in front of the school.

''If they can cancel Halloween, what about Columbus Day and Valentines Day? We get Jewish holidays and Christmas off, so what's next?" asked Andrea Newman, whose two sons attend the school. ''All it takes is one person to be offended, and our school will ban it."

Castelline said the school instead planned to hold a ''celebration of fall" next Friday. Later in the year, he said, the school plans a costume celebration in which teachers and perhaps students will be encouraged to dress as their favorite literary characters.

No one in Massachusetts is tracking Halloween school celebrations, said a spokeswoman for the state Department of Education, so it is difficult to track how many schools forgo the holiday.

Joel Packer, spokesman for the National Education Association, said the controversy is part of a contentious nationwide trend in which schools are trying to shorten or cancel holiday celebrations, either for religious reasons or to put more time into classroom work. Halloween is one of the few holidays that can fall when children are in school, he said, which puts school districts more on the spot.

A recent survey issued by a shopping mall management company found that 23 percent of Americans planned to take part in a school Halloween party this year.

Wilhelmina Ripple --author of several holiday books, including ''Halloween School Parties: What Do I Do?" --said school districts nationwide are changing the name of parties to make the celebrations more palatable for those who want to avoid having school-endorsed ghouls and goblins.

Parents interviewed yesterday said they didn't mind not being able to celebrate the holiday, but they complained that it was political correctness run amok, particularly at a school where one-fifth of the student body is nonwhite and the website is in both English and Chinese.

''The beauty of having diversity is to celebrate different cultures and holidays," said Renee Levin. ,

''It's not good," said her 7-year-old son, Jake, who is planning to dress up as a Ninja and go trick-or-treating after school. ''Last year we got a Halloween party and it was really fun."

Is it really ridiculous? While I agree that some do not wish to partake in Halloween for religious reasons. I am one of them. I do not agree that the school should have cancelled their celebrations.

We have charge of 2 young ones that do not partake and they simply come home after lunch when the "celebrations" are happening in the afternoon. They do not go out on halloween, but rather gather with other children from our churches for other activities that do not include "dressing up". They still go home with baqs of goodies.

To some, this may seem odd. However, we still have religious freedoms in Canada and the U.S.A. and it our perogative. I do not.however, believe that our beliefs should be pushed onto those who want to partake of this ritual.

Having said this, it is ridiculous that Christmas should be changed to Winter Holiday or other terms when the reason for the celebration is the birth of Christ.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:26 am
What Beth said. Though it is the new PC, in many ways...heehee...these people would be the first to condemn the mean, nasty old PC.

Aaargh.

We have a lot of cultish christian fundamentalists down where I used to work, as well as the dear old Mormons and JW's.

It was hard, cos a lot of the puppets and toys we use to help kids deal with very scary and awful feelings are a bit witchy/wizardy/dragonish....they work well for both scary, and protective feelings and people.

Anyhoo, every now and then a parent would create merry hell about the evil etc of our clinic.

I mean, I am very happy to remove such material if I know it is offensive to a person, but these people would act like we were possessed by satan for having any of it, even if they could not see it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:31 am
I mean, I find christian festivals like christmas wearisome and silly, especially the way they are now, but stop kids from having fun?

If you object, you can always educate your kids about how you feel, and perhaps alter the rituals a bit to suit your own family etc., but community festivals are meant to bring us together.

I just think of christmas as a midsummer ritual, and I adore it and the kind of freedupness and misrule and sense of the year closing and the new one beginning it brings.

It's just the old midwinter festival ressed differently, and folk like ritual and structure to their years.

Kill joys.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:34 am
"Misrule"! Thank you! I just wrote something very similar to my dad, who has declared he won't celebrate Christmas this year -- that I celebrate it as a midwinter festival of lights, it's cold and yucky outside so hey let's decorate with some evergreens and candles -- and was TRYING to remember that word, peasants are kings and kings are peasants. "Carnival" is all I could come up with.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:35 am
I am SO with you on this one slappy...

Those 2 or 3 kids just should have stayed home that day. What? Like the myteries of the universe were going to be revealed that particular day, and they wouldn't be there to learn it?

I'll tell you what....If I had a kid, I'd send him to school normal that day, but for the few days before, and for like a month afterwards, I'd let him wear Darth Vader, Incredible Hulk, Spiderman and so on EVERY SINGLE day.

Since, and only because this topic came up, I'm going to mention quickly I don't care for holloween. However, you didn't hear me say anything before, and you won't hear it again.

Learn to deal with it people. The world doesn't revolve around you.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:38 am
hmm. we celebrate christmas, but are not christian. so birth of christ doesn't relate to it for me. christmas is a wider than just christian tradition now, though naturally the origin and the core of it are built around christian tradition. christmas holidays - the actual things that happen during those few days - are actually built on much older pagan traditions - the tree, offerings, gifts, tending to and appreciating domestic animals, all sorts of things. it's not an exclusive christian thing, at least in my part of the world it never was. so while i don't want it changed to 'winter holidays' i don't see it as utterly ridiculous. i'll keep calling it christmas though, that's what i grew up with.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:40 am
Interesting how everyone jumps to the defence of the halloween thing, but condems any comment about Christmas. Why would this be?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:45 am
Who condemned christmas?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:47 am
who's defending halloween? :-)

I love both.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:50 am
sozobe wrote:
"Misrule"! Thank you! I just wrote something very similar to my dad, who has declared he won't celebrate Christmas this year -- that I celebrate it as a midwinter festival of lights, it's cold and yucky outside so hey let's decorate with some evergreens and candles -- and was TRYING to remember that word, peasants are kings and kings are peasants. "Carnival" is all I could come up with.

Yep, that fabulous release for a very hierarchical society.

I loge that element of christmas now. It isn't really celebrated as misrule as such, but there is suddenly a lightness and silliness at work here which goes on for some time.

In between SNAFU and horror and all that.

Heehee...when I worked for corrections, christmas eve was a desired time to go to court, cos judges and such were often quite merry and VERY lenient.

When I worked in a hospital, I can recall serving imaginary cocktails at the nurse's station to all and sundry on one of my wards.

It was hilarious, everyone joined in the silliness, then all the staff suddenly felt silly and went all serious. Patients and families didn't though.

All the areas and units used to have parties. Social work was well known for good ones, but things never got out of hand, like the pharmacy one did one year. It had to be hosed down with fire extinguishers, apparently, and they tried to ban alcohol.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:52 am
actually, there are parallels for me. christmas is celebrated by many others, not only christians, and halloween by many others, not only pagans (or whoever/wherever it comes from). american society incorporated both into mainstream culture.
i'm neither pagan nor christian, but i have problem with neither, why would i? if i was jewish, perhaps i wouldn't partake in christmas, and perhaps not in halloween either. just like i don't partake in jewish holidays being an atheist (unless i'm invited to a cholent, which i never ever turn down....love the stuff)
shrug, i guess i just don't see what's the big deal behind it and cannot comprehend why a school would ban halloween for hundreds of kids on behalf of three objectors..
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:54 am
dlowan wrote:
Who condemned christmas?

Condemned may have been too strong a word.

dlowan wrote:
Quote:
I mean, I find christian festivals like christmas wearisome and silly, especially the way they are now, but stop kids from having fun?

sozobe wrote:
Quote:
Misrule"! Thank you! I just wrote something very similar to my dad, who has declared he won't celebrate Christmas this year -- that I celebrate it as a midwinter festival of lights, it's cold and yucky outside so hey let's decorate with some evergreens and candles --

dagmaraka wrote:
Quote:
hmm. we celebrate christmas, but are not christian. so birth of christ doesn't relate to it for me. christmas is a wider than just christian tradition now, though naturally the origin and the core of it are built around christian tradition. christmas holidays - the actual things that happen during those few days - are actually built on much older pagan traditions
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:56 am
dagmaraka wrote:

shrug, i guess i just don't see what's the big deal behind it and cannot comprehend why a school would ban halloween for hundreds of kids on behalf of three objectors..

Neither do I.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Intrepid, I'm intrigued by the quotes around "dress up" in you post. Do you mean to say that the kids aren't really dressing up?
0 Replies

Intrepid

DrewDad wrote:
Intrepid, I'm intrigued by the quotes around "dress up" in you post. Do you mean to say that the kids aren't really dressing up?

No, I do not mean that at all.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:57 am
How is any of that condemning christmas?

We are saying it has different meanings for us, that is all.

We just aren't all christians, Intrepid. And so christmas as a religious festival doesn't cut it.

That is how it is.

And I find the hyper retail stuff wearisome too.
0 Replies