Gorillas and Chimps are becoming extinct fast

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 10:29 pm
Gorillas and chimps are nearing extinction. The article linked below discusses how hunting and natural disease have more than halved their numbers over the last 20 years:

"By comparing the figures with a survey carried out in the early 1980s, the researchers conclude that on a conservative estimate, gorillas and chimpanzees have declined by more than half within 20 years.

Gabon and Congo account for around 80% of the world's gorillas and most of the common chimpanzees, so this is described by the study as a major conservation crisis.

Gorilla and chimp numbers have dropped more than 50% since 1983
"Without aggressive investments in law enforcement, protected area management and Ebola prevention, the next decade will see our closest relatives pushed to the brink of extinction," the Nature paper says. "

BBC
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,057 • Replies: 12
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 08:23 am
Interesting k, to think gorillas who have been the subject of intense studies would go down hill rather than up...and I suppose chimps right along with them...sad thing.
Thanks for putting out here for all to see.

BTW-------B O O T S I E!!!!!!!!!! kewl
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 09:59 am
Sad. Two years ago I took my young son to the San Francisco Zoo. It was an overcast (foggy) day but the gorillas were out in force. One of the adolescents was tormenting the silverback, he in turn chasing the youngster. They were playing, but roughly. We watched them for the longest time, my son mesmerized.

A day I'll never forget.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:06 am
My neice goes to the zoo regularly with her mom and/or me. She loves the gorillas. All the kids do. We all pack up against the glass, so do the gorillas. We all just sit and look at each other. One woman brought a children's book about gorillas with her and the kids she had with her. The adolescent male watched as she read the book. Quite entertaining.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:07 am
cjhsa - 2 years? time to bring him back!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:14 am
You're right littlek, just what I was thinking. The Zoo has been under major reconstruction so it hasn't been the ideal day trip destination for awhile. Time to go see what it looks like.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 11:47 am
Well, we did go back in 2003. They had a new tiger there. Tatiana.

Tatiana got out on Christmas Day 2007, killed one zoo patron, and mauled two others before being killed by police.

I always wondered about those big cat enclosures. They sure looked a little too escapable to me.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:14 pm
Everything that can be done should be done to protect the chimps and gorillas along with other endangered animals of the world.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 07:49 am
A big part of the problem is boneheads like Dian Fossey who "study" the gorillas. What she does instead is expose the gorillas even further to humans, making them even more vulnerable to poachers.

Some people, no matter how "book smart", will never get it. Understanding nature, and harassing nature like Fossey and Steve Irwin, are very different things.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:14 am
Boneheads with guns are what is decreasing populations!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:14 am
bs
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:17 am
Laughing Short answer that says a lot Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:19 am
It's says everything. Most poachers use snares. Poachers will use whatever tools necessary to perform their evil. To equate them with gun owners means you are thinking with your little head. Try using the one on your shoulders.
0 Replies