A psychological question

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 08:12 am
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
I used the word analysis as shorthand for psychoanalysis, as is common. Is there no end to the topics on which you will instantly get personal?

You quoted me. Have a nice day.

Frankly, I have no idea what this sentence means

Two simple sentences. I can't imagine why you would have difficulty understanding them. Rolling Eyes
Brandon9000 wrote:
your statement that psychoanalysis has been generally discredited in the world is simply false. Most mental health practictioners today practice something much closer to Freudian psychoanalysis than to behavior mod.

I'd be interested in any support you have for this statement, but it is factually wrong. If by "most mental health practitioners" you mean licensed practical therapists, social workers, psychologists, and psychiatrists, that is.

There is still one school of thought that ascribes to Freud's theories ("psychodynamic"), but even they will use multiple techniques in order to help their clients.

Well, indeed I do not have support for this opinion, it's just my knowledge of the world. But neither have you given support for your opinion that behavior mod, e.g. extinction of phobias, is the technique of choice. Yes, it is fairly common to use extinction to cure simple phobias, but there are many forms of mental illness besides phobias.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 08:31 am
Yes, there are certainly more issues that folks go to therapy for. I used phobias as an example.

I suspect your "knowledge of the world" comes more from watching television than interacting with the real world.

I spent five years watching, listening, and learning as my wife got her Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, so I know something of the subject. Second-hand knowledge to be sure, but those happy hours and faculty parties were sure educational.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:58 pm
Umm, anyways, what exactly does psychoanalysts prescribe on dealing with the troublesome disorders?

Personally, I think that many mental illnesses have more to do with chemical imbalance. This may be triggered by some form of psychological despair, but I doubt all of them are.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:04 pm
One of Freud's colleagues suggested a remedy but this is too nice a thread to tell you about it.Most of Freud's costomers were well off ladies with self indulgent fathers.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:13 pm
Ray wrote:
Umm, anyways, what exactly does psychoanalysts prescribe on dealing with the troublesome disorders?

Personally, I think that many mental illnesses have more to do with chemical imbalance. This may be triggered by some form of psychological despair, but I doubt all of them are.

Empirical studies have shown that the best method for treating depression is a combination of therapy and antidepressants. Either alone can help, but both together work better. Some mental illnesses are certainly related to chemical imbalances. Some, such as schizophrenia, have been linked to both chemical predisposition and environmental triggers.

Some mental illnesses have not yet been linked to chemical imbalances.

Then there are all of the problems that are not mental illnesses, but that therapists can assist one with. Adjustment problems, obsessive-compulsive tendencies, family issues, chemical dependencies, etc.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:14 pm
And do you specifically wish to discuss psychonanalysis, or are you interested in mental health treatment in general?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:22 pm
Yes-I'm sorry for being somewhat flippant.I had thought also that we were discussing psychoanalysis and my light-hearted tone is associated with that.I wouldn't be flippant about some of the things being mentioned.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:09 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Yes, there are certainly more issues that folks go to therapy for. I used phobias as an example.

I suspect your "knowledge of the world" comes more from watching television than interacting with the real world.

I spent five years watching, listening, and learning as my wife got her Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, so I know something of the subject. Second-hand knowledge to be sure, but those happy hours and faculty parties were sure educational.

Being married to a psychologist is admittedly a non-trivial qualification. I took a couple of courses in college, but beyond that, I have read a little about it, since the topic has always been of interest to me. For instance, I enjoyed "An Uncommon Therapist," or some title close to that about Milton Erickson, and "The Passions of the Mind," about Freud.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:21 pm
The psychodynamic types are a riot.

They never eat or drink anything at a party, because it's too much like "offering the breast."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:26 pm
DrewDad wrote:

They never eat or drink anything at a party, because it's too much like "offering the breast."

The most impressive thing I've seen in the past few years is Bandler and Grinder's neurolinguistic programming.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:33 pm
Brando, you are refering to NLP? I had some strange experiences with that group-thought ideology.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:34 pm
Yes, I am. I don't know anything about their ideology, but the theory sounds right to me.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:34 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

The most impressive thing I've seen in the past few years is Bandler and Grinder's neurolinguistic programming.

I haven't encountered that before. Skeptic's Dictionary isn't to enthusiastic about it, though.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 04:59 pm
They must be musical then I suppose.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 05:36 pm
I have a few books on NLP. After reading them through a few times, I concluded (in my unprofessional way) that it is a bunch of bunk.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 05:00 am
I have problems with forgetting bad experiences. I can remember every single insult people have hurled at me ever since childhood, and each one with vivid detail. I have these flashbacks on a regular basis, even in my sleep. What kind of treatment can treat me?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 05:25 am
James-

I don't think anybody would have the nerve to suggest a treatment but Gustave Flaubert had similar experiences although they seemed to be more severe in his case that what you describe.He lost consciousness.

There's a decent description of them in the early pages of Frances Steegmuller's book Madame Bovary and Flaubert.I think that's the title.

Flaubert's father was a senior medical man in Paris but it was mid 19th century.

What struck me about it was that Flaubert had been pressured into doing something he hated which was studying law.After these attacks his father allowed him to give it up and begin his journey into writing those great books.

But they were a well off,even rich,family.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 08:12 pm
So what is your point?
0 Replies