Trafalgar day 21st October 1805

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:26 am
Today marks the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar. The British fleet under admiral Horatio Nelson defeated the combined fleets of the French and Spanish off Cadiz.

The battle marked a seminal moment in world history. It led to the defeat of Napoleon and the end of the Spanish empire. The Royal Navy remained unchallenged for over a hundred years. Britain's command of the High Sea became the keystone in establishing the worlds first truly global empire. And as the industrial revolution took root in Britain its not unreasonable to say Britain and the Empire laid the foundation of the modern world.

Nelson himself was of fairly modest upbringing, but rose to become Admiral of the Fleet through his own determination, skill and above all courage.

At the height of the battle, on deck and in full dress uniform, he was shot by a French marksman. He died shortly after being told victory was secure.

Was there a more significant battle in the 19th century? Is there a naval hero to compare with Nelson?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,592 • Replies: 32
No top replies

material girl

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:34 am
What did the French and Spanish want?Land?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:39 am
Quote:
Was there a more significant battle in the 19th century? Is there a naval hero to compare with Nelson?

He was much loved by the nation. The Iron Duke too was admired but I think Nelson due to his human frailties was looked upon with more favour (I mean his little dalliance with Emma would have been in the News of the World if it existed).

Thanks Steve - I hadn't realised the significance of the date. He was a great man. I have seen his uniform at the Maritime Museum at Greenwich. He was only a little bloke if I remember rightly. Anyway I shall raise a glass to Lord Nelson.

Since we're talking the Andrew it should be a gin and tonic but my shiraz will have to do Very Happy
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:54 am
goodfielder wrote:
Thanks Steve - I hadn't realised the significance of the date. He was a great man. I have seen his uniform at the Maritime Museum at Greenwich. He was only a little bloke if I remember rightly. Anyway I shall raise a glass to Lord Nelson. Since we're talking the Andrew it should be a gin and tonic but my shiraz will have to do Very Happy

Well as Mrs Steve is a history teacher....I am made aware of these things.

We went with Walter not long ago to Greenwich and saw his uniform too. It struck me that he was a small man, but then 200 years ago people were smaller were they not?

Anyway thanks for your hearty toast, here's to Nelson and Australia.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:58 am
material girl wrote:

yes land. As in England. Smile
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 05:29 am
Ahh, the Land that is Eng.

It is gorgeous,Id go into battele to own it!

I went to London a few weeks back, found myself in Trafalgar Square and made apoint of reading the message on the floor of the square.Thought I should really know more about my country.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 05:32 am
As much as I love my adopted country - and it is a wonderful country - my birthright is important to me.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 05:34 am
Thats good to hear, Im all for people supporting their own country.
Its what makes us (insert your nationality here)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:48 am
interesting stuff on bbc website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk/2005/trafalgar_200/default.stm
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:50 am
material girl wrote:
Ahh, the Land that is Eng.

It is gorgeous,Id go into battele to own it!

I went to London a few weeks back, found myself in Trafalgar Square and made apoint of reading the message on the floor of the square.Thought I should really know more about my country.

What did it say? Made in Taiwan?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:54 am
material girl wrote:

Napoleon had be gathering a large army on the channel coast (perhaps as many as 100,000 men) to invade England. What he need was a fleet to protect the transports as they carried that army across the channel. Nelson destroyed that fleet and Napoleon's chances for invasion.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 08:01 am
Haha, maybe the slabs came from there!
It said somethig about the nautical history and why the statues were there.Cant really remember it(shame on me)
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 08:03 am
Acquiunk wrote:
material girl wrote:

Napoleon had be gathering a large army on the channel coast (perhaps as many as 100,000 men) to invade England. What he need was a fleet to protect the transports as they carried that army across the channel. Nelson destroyed that fleet and Napoleon's chances for invasion.

Nelson Rocks!!!
So if it wasnt for him we'd all be drinking Sangria and eating Haute Cuisine.................haaaang on a minute.....
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 08:14 am
What amazes me is the developments in naval technology in the 100 years after Trafalgar.

In 1805 Nelson fought with wooden ships, sail, and iron cannon firing cannon balls. The guns were fixed. In essence the ships were no different from the time of the Spanish Armada and Drake, though bigger.

By 1905 Britain was building the first Dreadnought class battleship. It was steam powered, could do 30 knots, was built of steel with steel armor several inches thick with 15in? guns turret mounted. It also had one other interesting feature of great significance...oil fired boilers.

So while Brittannia ruled the waves, Brittannia was also dependent on oil from the middle east. Interesting that isnt it?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 08:30 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
So while Brittannia ruled the waves, Brittannia was also dependent on oil from the middle east. Interesting that isnt it?

This also explains the existence of Iraq. But you have to go to Winston Churchill and Edith Bell for that story.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 08:39 am
Happy Trafalgar Day, Brits. (from an upstart colonist living in Florida via Virginia) Razz
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 08:40 am
Strangely, Nelson's Column in Place Jacques Cartier (Montreal)
predates the one in Trafalgar Square.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 08:53 am
Our builders are a lot slower over here.....
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 08:55 am
I toured the Victory in the summer and saw Nelson's "cot". It was about five feet long!

Amazing man, amazing ship.

Happy Trafalgar day evryone.....including Francis.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 08:55 am
<insert column erection joke here>
0 Replies